The Great Gatsby movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched the first hour and fell asleep. It was impressive looking in a completely unrealistic way and I agree about the ridiculous non-stop moving camera...pick a damn shot and stick with it. I'll eventually finish it but so far the mood hasn't struck me.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

His acting job was fine. No complaints from me. He nailed it.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I thought so too.

I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this movie as much had I not really enjoyed the novel for so long. But I do, and I did. I've got the Blu-ray on my want list.

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I saw it.

Too much "Gatsby", not enough "Great".

Vidiot likes this.
  5. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

The novel's set in 1922 and Gatsby's car is a Rolls Royce (the whole British aristocracy thing, you know). In the movie he drives a 1929 Duesenberg that in reality is a 1980s kit car built on a Ford chassis.

6. AztecChimera

Ah but that voice!

Anyway Jordan's supposed to be the cold cynical one - she cheats at golf too. I liked both Chiles and Debicki and wish both had been utilized more in their respective films.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Wasn't Lois a Bond girl??

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, Lois Chiles was in "Moonraker"...

9. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

Just saw this unfortunately.

Horribly bad movie. The most over glitz-ed, boring story I have ever witnessed. A episode of " The Waltons" would have been better. I thought I had pooped my pants, but I was just smelling the movie. I didn't even realize it had a story to near the end. I thought is was just about some never ending giant party put on by the Vanderbilts, or the Rockefellers. Rich people partying. Yippee!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  10. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I came late to this movie, having just watched it.

This movie is kind of an oddball: a weird blend of period drama and CGI fantasy. Initially, I was really put off by the over-stylized visuals and ridiculous amount of CG. I guess I was expecting more realism than artificial world. OK, I can get that maybe they're going for a really idealized or fantastical version of the 1920s...

The problem was, as soon as any of the over-stylized elements or anachronisms turn up, the suspension of disbelief is completely destroyed. A good movie skillfully suspends your disbelief over the course of the entire movie. On a continual basis, I was being ripped out of the 1920s, and out of the movie itself, by a flashy technique that was being employed at any given moment.

The amount of CG in this movie is ridiculous. This is a hyper-unrealistic, completely fake, virtual world with a typically lousy digital representation of water. Major parts of the movie are so stylized that the eye candy overwhelms anything else that is happening in the movie. You can be stylish, but still strike the right balance right between the story, the visuals and the soundtrack. This movie just slams you over the head with garish visuals while the story limps along in the background. It feels like the modern music was added to simply "amp up" the experience for the youth demographic.

The car chases looked like crazy traffic simulations, completely silly and unrealistic. It would not have been much of a leap to give the Deusenberg the ability to fly...

The story does redeem the movie, to some extent. DiCaprio is serviceable, but I found most of the other actors in the movie to be kind of dull. Perhaps they are simply overwhelmed by the visuals, or it's hard to pull out a deep performance from actors who spend most of their time in front of blank screens. Really surprised this movie grossed as much as it did, but I suppose modern audiences like their fireworks.

11. AztecChimera

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The reviewer says that like it's a bad thing. I had basically no attachment to the source material (I hated the book when forced to read it in school) and minimal interest in the events of the story, so more like the above is exactly what I signed up for. I don't think he topped "Moulin Rouge" with it, but it was decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.