The Great Unreleased COMPILATIONS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have most of that stuff on other compilations. Most of the stuff I don't have is kind of lame. You can find a lot of it on Youtube if you want to hear what some of them sound like. The 2 best cuts that I hadn't heard were Hobo by the Good Rats and the version of Whatcha Gonna Do About It? by the Evil.

2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

*sigh* I honestly can't give you a straight answer, because I don't know.... I truly believe though, with quite a bit of reason behind me, that the 'Advanced Test' bootlegs of the supposed Anthologies 4, 5 and 6 are indeed leaked, legitimate compilations.

Now, by legitimate, I mean "Very, very rough builds of what COULD have followed", possibly by some wishful-thinking insiders. I mean, the artwork alone screams of legitimacy to me (CD labels aside; if anyone has seen the labels on these boots, they're obviously amateur attempts not from the same source as the covers). Every aspect is dead on, especially compared to the ridiculously sloppy attempts from this same time period where bootleggers tried and failed to mimic the Anthology back cover design. Look at 'Anthology Plus' - they didn't even use a legit Beatles logo!

Content wise, the presentation of the music on all three volumes far surpasses bootlegs of the time (including the aforementioned 'Plus'), nicely weaving in and out of interview excerpts just as "Anthology 1" had, and giving lesser quality tracks like "Aerial Tour Instrumental" a slight but effective remix. I'm sure had these moved further along, they would've been greatly revised - disc 2 of "Anthology 5" relies a bit too heavily on "Here's a Sgt. Pepper outtake... and here's George Martin talking all over it." But the track lists as they are correct a lot of mistakes from Anthology 1, 2 and 3, presenting all of the newly-created stereo mixes from the video series, as well as the original untouched versions of songs like 'Not Guilty'.

Again, these are just my thoughts; bringing up these albums tends to start a big controversy (people immediately dismiss them as fake because "they never heard of them") - but I've seen first hand that innovative compilations can be created and killed fairly early in the process, even before reaching the artist's approval.

Intriguingly, the covers seem to be screen captures from a video... but that is a mystery that might remain unsolved.

3. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

The Alice Cooper boxset Rhino was going to release containing I assume all his Warners albums from Prettie For You through to Da Da

4. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Do you have any more info on the original planned release for this. All the tracks were released on the 2 reissues of wilder but I only have the 2 disc wilder release and it doesn't mention the 'buff manila' release just the fact they were uk b-sides

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

You mean the 2-CD Charly IMMEDIATE singles sets?

There were four sets (8CDs total) compiled and trailed in the artwork of the first two sets released in 2000 (CDBOOK 101 & CDBOOK 102) but Castle/Sequel stole a march on them with their 6CD singles box (NXTCD 324) and Charly cancelled the series.

Thing is, the Charly sets were to also include bonus material on all but the first set - the second one has these bonus tracks:

Glyn Johns - "Untitled"
    Rod Stewart & P.P. Arnold - "Come Home Baby"

As far as I know, "Episodes" 3 & 4 of this Charly re-issue series were never made.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"I'm Going Your Way" is a fantastic song, definitely worthy of release.

7. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

There was supposedly a Best of the Sundays release scheduled in 2000 that the band put a stop to--still curious to find out what the contents of that would have been.

8. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

The Smirks Smirkology would have been the band's first-ever compilation, had it been released.

9. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I seem to remember from my time on a Prince mailing list (nearly 20 years ago) that a live box set was coming soon to plug the gaps in his WB contract. Also some remix project. Shame the former never happened.

10. Mark83

Mark83 Forum Resident

The first draft of the posthumous Nirvana live album to be coupled with MTV Unplugged:
    described here

Jerrre and smokeverbs like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Red Bird Story Vol 3 was supposed to be a double LP on Charly but when they went CD only they took the tracks and spread them around a 4 CD set.

12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Apparently not for those who wanted that Capitol sound.

905 likes this.
  13. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

The Wallflowers were going to release a rarities disc entitled Looking Through You: Another Collection following their greatest hits album. While I've seen cover art and task listings, I don't believe this ever saw the light of day.

jricc and Well Wisher like this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have all 3 on vinyl, but I would probably break down and buy this for the bonus tracks. I'm still searching for Five and Dime.

15. Reader

Reader Senior Member

The Dave Clark Five box of hits and unreleased material that was discussed back in the 90's. Some of that stuff will eventually come out but will probably only happen when the "estate" is in someone else's hands.

16. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

Van Halen: Best Of (1978-1984)

This was supposed to come out in 2007 before their first reunion tour with David Lee Roth. Personally, I think it would have been a very strong greatest hits album of the Roth years. For some reason, Eddie killed it:

01. Runnin' With The Devil
    02. Eruption
    03. You Really Got Me
    04. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    05. Jamie's Cryin'
    06. Dance The Night Away
    07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    08. Beatuiful Girls
    09. And The Cradle Will Rock
    10. Everybody Wants Some
    11. Mean Street
    12. Unchained
    13. So This Is Love?
    14. Where Have All The Good Times Gone
    15. Oh, Pretty Woman
    16. Dancing In The Street
    17. Jump
    18. Panama
    19. Hot For Teacher

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/va...e-track-listing-revealed/#vlMZx6OYVt7lc3h2.99

Dark Horse 77 and BeatlesBop like this.
  17. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

Who's Last was supposed to have some stuff with Moon and material from the '79 tour.

18. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

First draft I saw of this had SIDE ONE tracks from Fillmore East '68, SIDES TWO and THREE from the Philadelphia '79 tapes and SIDE FOUR from the 1982 tour. The only tracks I remember specifically was that a version of "Drowned" (Pete vocals, Roger harmonica, which they played at all fall '79 shows) was to be from Philly '79 and they were to use a version of "Naked Eye" from 1982. This was from one of the old WHO info/zines (maybe GENERATIONS?).

Also, I read in BUCKETFUL OF BRAINS (years ago!) about an album called SINGLES by the Soft Boys. This was to contain the single versions (mixes) of all of their singles, starting with "Anglepoise Lamp". It even had a catalogue number. If I can ever find the old issue, I'll post the advert.

19. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Led Zeppelin Earl's Court 75 and Pontiac Silverdome 77 video on blu ray
    that's a compilation

A Dave Holland compilation

20. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

Where did you find this information? It is also on Wikipedia but there is no source given.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There is one compilation of his recordings for ECM. When would this other one have happened?

22. Not, because they didn't always use the right mixes for the "Yesterday and Today" tracks.

23. warren

warren Forum Resident

I believe there was also an attempt to make a DCC Dave Clark Five 24 Karat Hits gold CD that was aborted when Dave Clark asked for something like a million dollars up front...?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-dave-clark-five-glad-all-over-again.1243/#post-11948

And I also believe there was supposed to be a Hoffman-mastered Japanese-market Beach Boys compilation, but at least most of the tracks were "Hoffmanized" elsewhere.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-period-compilation-cd-need-your-help.108886/

24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I am also very bummed thst Joni's set wasn't released.

C'mon people!

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

It's just a DISGRACE that this hasn't been released!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.