The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh, that's what it is! Saw one at a store once but the center screw was broken so they could not clamp it to the machine. They were trimming CDs for free as a demo when it worked. But I didn't know the details of it which is 38 degrees to reduce laser scatter and didn't know about the black marker. I thought it just make it more of a perfect circle.

I'd have one done as a demo as long as I had a well mastered duplicate CD. :)

mindblanking likes this.
  2. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Right! I'd demo it too. What the hell?

Gary likes this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Then you'd have thought that on a forum like this, that number would've been higher. Speaks volumes really.

62caddy likes this.
  4. mindblanking

I'm really not seeing your point. And I'm trying too. I really am.

5. mindblanking

And if I remember, weren't you someone who was going to test for yourself?

6. mindblanking

Oh unless what you're saying is that one could assume that on a forum like this more people would've given it a shot, heard the improvement and therefore yes percentage would be higher. That's possible yes. I understand your point now I think.

7. Brother_Rael

Oh dear.

Rather think more have given it a shot. Hence the result. Your conclusions show why the industry is tanking. Questionable products, bad science, poor advice.

Thankfully, the numbers are bearing out favorably and people will draw their own conclusions, quote rightly, that even in an audiophile forum, the contributors had the good sense for the most part to reject this product line in data cabling.

russk likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Yes, but I wouldn't read too much into that...

9. Brother_Rael

No, I think you do. I think you're just being a tad disingenuous.

10. mindblanking

If you read the rest you'll see I'm not. And if you actually knew me you'd know that's not my way.

11. mindblanking

I don't know maybe you haven't had lunch yet or something but if you read I actually said that I understand how the numbers could be interpreted a different way to favor the opinions of the no voters.

12. Brother_Rael

No need to be so patronising.

Check your post, number 862. Your words, or your initial conclusions at any rate, suggest differently. And your words came across as disingenuous in the post I referred to which I'm sticking by.

13. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

So that's your excuse when you got caught wearing the same clothes for 5 days........ :D

Gary likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think that if this poll were about a non-audio topic people would look at the split and be pretty comfortable that the 72% group was right and the 28% group was wrong. I don't think folks would say "well, if 28% believe in Bigfoot, perhaps I should be more open minded to the possibility that Bigfoot exists".

russk, 62caddy and Brother_Rael like this.
  15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I definitely find a pronounced benefit if I stop the laundry while listening to my system. The laundry room shares a fake wall with the listening room, after all. I've also spoken previously of reducing the problem with Mapleshade isolators - I shoved a few under the washing machine and it doesn't rock quite so much.

jimbutsu likes this.
  16. mindblanking

I'm really ready to drop this but I think distinctions are important. Remember it's not necessarily believe in Bigfoot but in many cases have seen Bigfoot. Do you think if a poll was started asking only people to respond who have actually tried different cables that it would be skewed by people who haven't but just want to add their two cents anyway? I wish there was a lie detector app for the site.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You can pick a better analogy if you'd like. My point is that if you saw these numbers in a different arena I don't think you'd reach the same conclusion that if 28% believe something there's obviously something to it, I think you'd conclude the overwhelming majority had the right idea.

I'd also politely point out that you don't seem to be able to get past the idea that most people who listen to fancy USB cables reach the conclusion that there's nothing to them. You seem stuck on the idea that people aren't really comparing them, or are comparing them but are too stuck in their ways to be open to hearing differences, etc.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Over on the music forum, this is common: Someone starts a poll, the results don't go the way they them wanted to, so a new poll is started with more restrictive parameters. I have no doubt you could start a new poll that will give the results you seek.

Here's a tip: In your new poll verbiage, be sure to put something like "flat earthers need not respond".

19. Brother_Rael

Ironically, it was the flat earth folk originally who rejected the science and the proof of it! Something else that gets mistaken in this hobby!

Shawn and jupiterboy like this.
  20. mindblanking

In the immortal words of Roberto Duran "no mas". Fact is the results were around 12 percent lower than I expected. I can live with that. See you guys in a more pleasurable thread.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yea, I think this thread's about done.

Benefactor and mindblanking like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.