"The Greatest Showman" - new Hugh Jackman film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Just got back from seeing THE GREATEST SHOWMAN, and we really enjoyed it. It's kind of a bizarre combination of a historical biography with very fast-paced contemporary musical numbers, but in some ways it's a throwback to the great Hollywood musicals of the 1940s and 1950s.

It veers wildly from the real story of P.T. Barnum (who was a much more complex man that what we see on-screen), but it's a fun romp. Some of the VFX were really cheesy, particularly some of the 1850 NY "street scenes," the vintage trains, and the CG lions and elephants, but the editing (credited to no less than 6 people) was spectacular and the color (by Tim Stipan at CO3) was really beautiful from start to finish.

Terrific entertainment, and a rare modern film that actually felt 20 minutes too short for me.

[​IMG]

Film Review: ‘The Greatest Showman’

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

We saw it a few weeks ago, we liked it. The singing was kept to a minimum which was okay by me. :D

MikaelaArsenault, Jrr and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

We Like him so we will see this...glad the singing was at a minimum...thanks Gary. : )

MikaelaArsenault, longdist01 and Gary like this.
  4. Wolverine sings ...

Seriously he’s such a talent.

5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Loved every second. Can't wait to buy the dvd.

MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hate musicals so I’m probably out on this despite the good reviews.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It looks like something I've seen before...

8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I nearly didn't go because it was a musical - but I remembered how good Jackman had been in 'Oklahoma!' on tv some years ago. That memory swung it. So glad I saw it on the big screen. Pretty packed house too.

MikaelaArsenault and GodShifter like this.
  9. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Loved it! Immediately bought the soundtrack. Hugh Jackman blew me away. Much better than Pierce Brosnan. ;)

I'm surprised this isn't being discussed in Music Corner. Fantastic soundtrack.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm sure he'll be back in X-Men soon.

11. alexpop

I'll check this out next cinema visit.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is this film version of the Broadway show "Barnum?"

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I will probably pick up the Blu-ray on release day.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes, very entertaining pic. I too was surprised when it ended so soon. I thought there was till another 20 minutes coming.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think that's why it got off to a rocky start. A musical about a circus guy? And so many people do hate musicals and I'm generally one of them. I woukd have hated to be the marketing guy for this one. I was dragged kicking and screaming to see this. Well, I liked it so much I have recommended it to numerous people who have all loved it. Don't let not liking musicals keep you from seeing it! I can't wait to by the soundtrack recently announced, finally, for a vinyl release. The soundtrack really took in sales and I'm betting it took them by surprise as I don't think it was going to get a vinyl release. This thing really took off after a bad start, as Vidiot will recall. I'm really happy for all involved. You hate to see something like this, so well done (I personally didn't notice anything off about the cgi but I was pretty enthralled by the story) and then it just bombs. This could have gone that route...it started to, and word of mouth has really saved it. Go see it!

MikaelaArsenault and GodShifter like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Always leave them wanting more as they say! Actually, I thought the length was fine. Less chance to screw it up! There was a couple of times I thought they would, but by staying true to his character they never did. Man how I loved the scene of his new discovery when she debuted in that big theatre! Her voice and the song gave me the chills and I want the soundtrack just for that!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Looks like Willy Wonka!

18. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I caught this movie over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The contemporary style music was good and the choreography was great. My family generally like Broadway style musicals and we would love to see this live on stage.

19. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Borrowed the DVD from a local library tonight and watched it with my family. We all liked it. The first ten minutes struck me as feeling like a Disney movie but not animated. I seeing the scenes as they would look in animation. Fun movie.

20. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’ve probably watched the Jenny Lind “Never Enough” performance at least 20 times. Fascinating scene.

MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The soundtrack's huge in Australia. It's been high in the chart for over a year.

Just double checked. It's #6 and the 'reimagined' version is #15

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I was very, very surprised that the film wound up making a whopping $435 million, which was far more than they expected. It's a very interesting film that went in some unexpected directions. If I could've made one change, it would've been that Barnum himself should have been younger -- Hugh Jackman was actually a little too old for the part (he's about 50). He spent a few years trying to get this film developed, so it might have actually worked better if he had been a decade younger... but it is what it is. Still, the role of a lifetime for him and he does a lot with it. The "making of" documentary on the production is astonishing, particularly the story on how he had to pitch the film to the studio a day or two after he got out of throat surgery (!!!) but wound up singing a little bit anyway, even though his doctors warned him not to (!!!!!!). He's an extraordinary actor, and it's rare to find anybody that has the range of what he does in this film.

SandAndGlass, Jrr, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I love musicals but I didn't find the songs in this particularly compelling.

lbangs likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

With this one you kinda have to get into the movie first. If the movie resonates with you, the songs will follow. It took a couple viewings for it to all click for me but now I really enjoy the album.

25. alexpop

Hugh Jackman deliriously happy on The Tonight show the other week. Looks like he”ll continue in musicals for decades to come. Shockingly skinny now, fat chance of Wolverine cameo in Deadpool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.