The "Groaning Jazz Pianists" thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Just playing some Thelonius Monk (it's really good 'morning music!'), and on the song Well You Needn't, I hear Monk groaning away in the background, albeit in tune for the most part. I like the sense of excitement it lends it, but with Oscar Peterson, it sounds like he's got bad gas at times. Do all jazz pianists moan and groan? And who are the worst offenders?

2. Jimmy Cagoots

Jimmy Cagoots Senior Member

Erroll Gardner has been known to grunt and groan! :agree:

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Keith Jarrett. He is the undisputed master :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Jarrett

4. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Keith Jarrett - I love his solo piano concerts but that moaning... why couldn't he record his moans on a separate track so they can be mixed out :D

6. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Definitely Jarrett. And although he wasn't a pianist, Lionel Hampton grunted and groaned a lot as well.

Jonathan

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

But the album you mention there - "Standards Vol.1" recorded in 1983 - is really harmless in that respect, compared to his later albums.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The Koln Concert from 1975 has a hefty dose of moaning.

9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I think it was Erroll's grunts etc. that inspired the title of Frank Zappa's album 'Make a Jazz Noise Here'.

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Bud Powell. In Moaned Bud...
    Glenn Gould on the classical side (I am actually somewhat comforted by his moaning)

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Listen to Jimmy Smith on the 'Organ Grinder Swing' album, the groans are some of the best parts of the album. One of my all time favourite albums

12. Dave D

Switching to guitar...SRV let loose some really guttural sounds when he ripped into a solo.

13. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Great idea for a thread! Can I nominate..... Mose Allison! Great singing, then when he takes an (equally) great solo, it sounds like he's being gagged or something in the background

14. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Do other albums have the moaning in the front and piano in the background? :p

15. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

I vote too for Keith Jarret the album "At The Deer Head Inn" has a lot of moaning sounds, and also the Paris concert.
    BTW I love the Solar track.

16. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

And who's that bleating in the background of Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert? Is it Gene Krupa? Sounds like there was a billygoat wandering the stage.

17. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

surprised no one has mentioned the great Osar P, they usually mike him in such a way you cant hear it, but on his live stuff you sure can.

18. Dave D

I mentioned him in my initial post. :)

19. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

damn i should learn to read.... :p I thought i was going to have a post of meaning :p

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Yeah, Oscar's live recordings certainly reveal his tendancy to sing along - somehow it doesn't bother me in the least though. I guess Oscar can just do no wrong in my book - afterall I even named my baby son after him!!

The worst case of unwanted noises made by a pianist I have come across is Claudio Arrau's performance of Schumann's "Carnival" on this disc:

[​IMG]

He makes sharp intakes of breath through his nose in time with the music getting louder and more pronounced when the music does - very distracting! I like this piece so much that I even bought the exact same disc again from the used store I had originally bought it from and returned it to about 5 years earlier thinking it can't have been as bad as I remebered. It was and I promptly returned the disc a second time! If I see it in another 5 years I'll think I'll pass.....

:)

21. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

i totally agree, the man's one of jazz's true geniuses. He still around and performing so get out there and see him while you can. Sorry about the thread drift.

22. Dave D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.