The Guess Who - Original Album Classics (coming Sept 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skydropco, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The name "Guess Who?" was a Stunt done by Scepter for the "Shakin' All Over" single,to make people guess Who was playing,but the stunt backfired,as the Group adopted the Name! it was coinspired by Allen Himself,too.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not twofers.

Comet01 and jsayers like this.
  3. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Rockin' is worth it for the medley at the end ALONE.

4. steve722

steve722 Forum Resident

Iconoclassic's are not two-fers.

Comet01 and jsayers like this.
  5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Those two-fers were supposed to be awful, the worst of all the cd issues.

Comet01 likes this.
  6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They sound lousy.

Comet01 likes this.
  7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

You can get all of these cheaper on Mp3 Albums,at 320Kbps,on both Amazon and Google...I rather not pay for the CD material.

8. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Assuming these two listings are accurate, it appears they'll be using the same versions that have been previously available through online download retailers. That is, the "Buddha" track configurations w/ the same bonus tracks for Canned Wheat, American Woman and Share The Land and the standard track configurations for So Long Bannatyne and Rockin'. Whether these previous remasterings were tweaked in any way for this new release is anyone's guess.......but I wouldn't bet a small fortune on it.

And, thus, not the Iconoclassic releases.

Original Album Classics - The Guess Who | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic »

or...

» The Guess Who – “Original Album Classics” Sony Music Poland »

jsayers likes this.
  9. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Another interesting point will be to see if they correctly include Species Hawk for Canned Wheat...or the "incorrect," Miss Frizzy, instead. Judging by their samples, the Amazon MP3 version of Canned Wheat has Species Hawk, while the iTunes version of CW still has Miss Frizzy. FWIW, the version that was licensed for the Cherry Red "threefer" CD also had Miss Frizzy. Despite what the track listing might actually say.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

were the Buddha CDs highly regarded?

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

LOL:cheers:

Pelvis Ressley and jsayers like this.
  12. jsayers

At the time they sure were. Great booklets and bonus tracks, supposedly mastered from better sources. Now, in hindsight, they were mastered rather loudly, and then the most recent Iconoclassic remasters were much better. I'm glad I hung on to my RCA originals - I always thought they sounded great.
    So, on my cd shelf, for some of the GW titles anyway, I've got 3 copies of some titles :

RCA
    Buddha
    Iconoclassic

:help:

You can see on this chart at the DR Database that the 2000-era Buddha's have a lower DR than the later Iconoclassics. Plus you can see how good the DR #'s are for the first RCA cd's. Too bad nobody actually rated 3 versions of one album there, it would be very illustrative.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database »

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    reb likes this.
  13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I have to say, as someone who worked closely on the Iconoclassic reissues, this release is both frustrating and disappointing.

14. Why do you say that? I didn't have any GW titles in my collection except a greatest hits collection so I bough this Classic Albums set and found it quite enjoyable with good sound quality. $20. $4 per LP. I read at the beginning of the thread that some of the Iconoclassic titles are already OOP or I may have gone that route. Would it be accurate to suggest that the five titles in this set represent the bands best output?

15. jsayers

It remains to be seen if this box uses the Iconoclassic masterings. I think it will be a combo of the Buddhas and the old RCA's myself.

16. Weren't the five titles in the box remastered for HD Tracks or used the Buddha's? I would hope they didn't use the old RCA masters from what, 30 -35 years ago but used the Buddha or HD Tracks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Because at one point, I was working on a really great GW box that never happened, and I had found great bonus stuff for all those records in the vaults. Releases like this almost always kill more ambitious projects. And, it is a matter of opinion, but no, I wouldn't say it represents the band's best output, not that I don't love each and everyone of those records, so I am glad you are enjoying them.

Comet01 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. That's understandable. I'll set up a search for the complete set of Iconoclassic GW titles. I may have asked this earlier but as you worked on these discs, you would be the authority on them, would you kindly reply with the complete list of titles from the series?

19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Wheatfield Soul
    Share The Land
    So Long Bannatyne
    Rockin'
    Artificial Paradise
    Road Food
    Flavours
    Power In The Music

Hep Alien, reb and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  20. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I bought this set for the three hard to get titles: Canned Wheat, Bannatyne and Rockin'

I'm pretty sure Canned Wheat is just the Buddha remaster, it sounds a bit compressed and the bonus track Species Hawk is really Miss Frizzy. Bannatyne and Rockin' have no bonus tracks, I seriously doubt they are the Iconoclassic remasters. The packaging is super cheap (as expected), but still better than a download, at least for me. I wish I could get the Iconoclassic versions of Bannatyne and Rockin' but they go for crazy prices now.

In short, if you want physical copies of the hard to find titles in this set, this will do until something better comes along. Hopefully Iconoclassic will print up another batch of their out of print titles, and maybe even do a reissue of Canned Wheat.

jsayers likes this.
  21. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I have three of my favorite Guess Who albums, American Woman, So Long Bannatyne, Rockin'. American Woman is the original mastering and the others are Iconoclast masterings. Do I have the best in each case? Are there others I need titles I need? I think I also have Flavors which is one of my favorites as well, but I couldn't located it before posting to see which it is. Actually, it's my favorite due to the song Dancin' Fool, my favorite all-time Guess Who song.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have a question in regards to Species Hawk.

Is the album version on The Way They Were lp correct?

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Never mind, I found The Answer.

I have the correct Buddah version with Species Hawk bonus track.

24. jsayers

I think you should have Share The Land, as it's my favorite GW album, but that's just me. The 2 cd "Essential" fills in the gaps nicely for all the rest, imho.

https://www.amazon.com/Share--Icono...&sr=1-1&keywords=the+guess+who+share+the+land

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Gu...40456&sr=1-2&keywords=the+guess+who+anthology

kevinsinnott likes this.
  25. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Thanks, jsayers. I just remembered I do have Share the Land. Original mastering. Not sure why I forgot that one! I agree it's excellent. I have the 2-CD Jack Richardson mastered set to fill in any gaps. Do I need to find better masters of any?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.