The guilty pleasure of informercials! (??)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm actually watching an informericial, one of those Time Life Classics hawking a giant set of compilation CDs. Sounds nutty, but the reason I like to watch is all the really rare live footage they turn up. Right now they showed a clip from the Frampton Comes Alive tour, then Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" and Argent doing "Hold Your Head Up"-I didn't even know any of this existed. Oh perhaps today you can find it on YouTube but it would take forever and I doubt it's ALL there. Actually it makes me think I could find some of it and see the whole clips. Either way, it's really fascinating to see some of these bands back in the day, and be reminded of a bunch of cool songs.

They also just had Boston doing "More Than A Feeling" which took me back to modifying a best friends' husbands speakers many years ago. That was the first song I put on and a grin spread across my face actually with shock at how much better they sounded. (They were just some low cost TEAC I think, came in a package with a stereo he bought as a graduate student. He wanted new speakers, but he really had no idea what size or shape or number of channels. So as a "stopgap" I stuffed them with fiberglass, coated the insides with auto undercoat, and shoved in a bunch of cross bracing. The transformation was absolutely remarkable).

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I find myself stopping to watch them too, up until they start to repeat tunes. I also like the bit where they say the remastered sound is much better than an old LP, which they play and it sounds like a recording of a beat up 78 played over a telephone. Slight exaggeration for comic effect. :)

3. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I've kinda grown fond of that old cowboy hawking those "nearly painless" catheters.

"I've been cowboy-ing for nearly 50 years, so I know pain... And boy, I don't want any more of it"

Whoa there cow-poke, you had me at nearly painless! :D

VicB, MikaelaArsenault and Pinknik like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

God, no.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I used to love those Time Life commercials. I think I started a thread on it long ago. I used to record them to DVD - my favorite was the soft rock one with Air Supply. That and the Oldies but Goodies with the Sha Na Na guy.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

When I first read the title I thought you were nuts, but when I saw it was for classic rock CDs I agreed.

7. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

8. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Mike!

9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

10. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I have spent more than a few nights in an altered state watching infomercials. they rule.

I love the extreme, forced amazement of the presenters at something relatively mundane, like a kitchen appliance. wow! it's so amazing! and revolutionary! my outlook on life heretofore will be altered by this miniature blender!

this goes double--or triple, even--for QVC. now there's some mindblowing late-nite stoned television. RIP, Jeanne Bice.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and head_unit like this.
  12. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

let me get this straight - I'm paying to watch 'info'mercials?

13. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

2words:

Larry.

King.

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I don't know about that. Maybe Christie Brinkley getting a workout on the "Total Gym", but that's about it. Can't get enough of the word pilates.

15. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Mike who?

17. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

18. driverdrummer

19. driverdrummer

20. driverdrummer

21. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

22. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Seriously, does the audience at these things get free merchandise? 'Cause it's hard to imagine real human beings getting that excited about a countertop broiler without getting one for free.

I always postscript the financials -- "Only six payments of $29.99" --with, "Or $5.00 at next summer's yard sales."

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not an infomercial, but still a classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.