The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Apr 29, 2017.

1. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The 'you' was rhetorical as well :)

2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Just turned my Hulu back on today so I could watch this show legitimately. Watched all 3 eps, and it's worth all the hype it's getting.

Brilliant. Unsettling. And yes, timely - moreso even than when Atwood wrote the novel 30 years ago.

Lightworker and Deesky like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is turning into a social media gossip thread, please stop it (thank you
    Scopitone).

Scopitone and Lightworker like this.
  4. gary191265

Sorry mum...

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Man, I love Ann Dowd. She is just so good at playing creepy and sinister. Her line, "This may not feel ordinary to you now, but in time it will... this will become ordinary" was bone-chilling. Very poignant.

timind, Scopitone and gary191265 like this.
  6. I'm thinking of signing up for HULU just for this show. I was a big fan of the novel way back as a student in the 80s.

Bender Rodriguez and Scopitone like this.
  7. Scopitone

Yup, and how about her "you won't want to" line at the end of ep 3? :hide:

She's so good.

Leviethan likes this.
  8. Scopitone

I was going to just borrow the eps online. But I decided to put my money where my mouth is for this one.

9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Haven't seen it yet!

Scopitone likes this.
  10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Caught up now. Excellent & horrifying.

Macman and Scopitone like this.
  11. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Read Margaret Atwood's own writing about the Hulu series here

Scopitone likes this.
  12. Deesky

Another exceptional episode. The amount and degree of emotion that Elisabeth Moss can convey without saying a word is simply amazing. It's painful having to wait an entire week for another episode!

Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum, bit**es!

13. Scopitone

Strahovski is proving to be quite the skilled silent actress, as well. She had a number of moments in this ep with no words, and she said a lot.

The wish floating around the interwebz is that they will update Serena Joy's background to be more current: A Fox News Blonde type who preached right-wing values and then found herself trapped by them. Certainly her comments at the breakfast table make her sound comfortable in both PR and Politics.

John B Good likes this.
  14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Very effective soundscape! Who is responsible? And to choose You Don't Own Me?

BTW was there a cameo by Margaret Atwood in the first episode? There was a blurred figure that appeared at one point that made me think of her.

Have to say the pace is a bit slow and the ambience is creepy, what with all the strange sex. Have to say a game of Scrabble seems the perfect night-cap...

15. John B Good

Some updates, like Craig's List :) I'm sure this series must have been produced before the last American election?

Scopitone likes this.
  16. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

That was definitely Atwood!

Also Don't You (Forget About Me) as foreshadowing the replaced Handmaid.

John B Good likes this.
  17. Scopitone

Since it only happens a little bit when not in flashbacks, I like the "modern" music when it shows up (such as the Simple Minds). Because it's so much like a period piece, it's easy to forget that this story is set in our generation. These characters have our pop culture references - Moss and Strahovski are just 9 years younger than I am, and Bledel is almost a year older than they are.

18. Scopitone

Yup! She was one of the Aunts and threw a wicked slap. :hide:

19. John B Good

20. Deesky

21. John B Good

Just heard on CBC radio that Margaret Atwood will be interviewed about the TV series on the program Q this morning.

22. gary191265

A
    I'm sceptical about it being great news. If they drag the book over more than one season, I'd be disappointed, as I'm not sure there's enough source material. Conversely, I don't really want to know what happens to certain characters beyond the book.

I think I prefer it as a perfect whole! If Attwood writes or consults on Season 2, I could probably muster up the necessary interest though :)

Pete Puma and Scotian like this.
  23. gary191265

I borrowed them but as they haven't announced a UK airtime yet and I'd got caught up in the hype and excitement, I was left with not a lot of choice. Netflix, Amazon Prime or Sky (all of which I subscribe to) six months down the line, is of little use. I'd have even subscribed to Hulu just to watch it, but you can't do that either.

Scopitone likes this.
  24. Deesky

Yes, I'm inclined to agree, in the abstract. It's a similar situation as with 13 Reasons Why and Big Little Lies - perfect as standalone mini-series based on a limited literary work. Nevertheless, I'm prepared to give all of these shows a second chance on the strengths of the individual productions. Hopefully, they can perpetuate the quality, if not...we still have respective seasons one!

The obvious answer is that it's popular. Also, see my above comments. I would have been perfectly happy with a limited mini-series too, but success breads sequels, I guess...