The Happy Time Murders

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm so ashamed of Brian Henson for making this digusting trash of a movie
    His dad if he were alive would never allowed this movie..
    Melissa Macarthy needs to stop already.. Sadly Sesame street could block it.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Saw it today. Had a great time. Melissa was good in it, and I'm not a fan.
    Your review is WAY too harsh. So Brian should never use his talent because the new owners got rid of him? Frankly, I think Jim would have loved it. No identifiable Muppets were there. I am going to guess this is what the Muppeteers did between takes and in their off time.
    CTW failed. Yay! Not for kids!

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Disney owns all the Muppets now, so this is just a Henson production with all-new characters. They've actually been doing kind of a raunchy puppet stage show in LA every few months at the Henson studio near Sunset & LaBrea, and I'm told it's a really good show (albeit a bit R-rated). You can't blame the Henson family for trying something different, but I know this movie didn't do very well.

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Isn't this movie in the same vein as 'The Land of Gorch' skits Jim Henson did on SNL for that one season ?

And IIRC, 'Sesame Street' did sue to block the movie from being released. However, the court ruled in the film production company's favour.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

No its a detective potboiler. With puppets doing dirty, over the top language and incidental humor. Puppets doing and saying thing you are not ready for. Under no circumstance for children, nothing for them here. A lot of silliness in a semi serious buddy cop story. At the end before the credits they SHOW you how it all was done.

It was a lot of fun. The wife had her doubts going in and she thought it was great, and I have dragged her to some real turkeys(Love The Coopers?)

MikaelaArsenault and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes, I know the 'The Land of Gorsh' was not a detective story, but were skits about the lives of some kind of pseudo cave-man or primeval type of creatures.

I meant similar in nature in that the SNL skits were adult oriented with (IIRC) references to sex, drugs, alcohol, violence, and the use of crude language (the anti-Sesame Street muppets). It's not, as the opening post suggests, something that would automatically be abhorrent to Jim Henson.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    JamieC likes this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have the first season of SNL and I don't care what anyone says those segments were brilliant. Smoking craters and Frank Oz's Trash Heap doesn't come close to this though. Muppet outtakes would be a riot I'm sure.

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

So it's a dumb version of Meet the Feebles, I'm guessing. peter Jackson is miles ahead.

[​IMG]

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Finally saw this thing. My god... the horror! THE HORROR! What were they thinking?

For sure, one of the worst films I've seen all year... if not for all time.

I suspect more Silly String was used in this film than any other movie ever made.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

What were you expecting? We had a great time and left quoting lines all the way home. Is it a cinematic wonder? No. Was it entertaining? I think so.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there were about 6 moments where I screamed out loud with laughter. Unfortunately, that covers about 2 minutes out of 90. I'm all for a gross-out comedy, but this just seemed padded, dull, and not too funny a lot of the time. Anybody notice the credits were going at about 3 miles an hour? Slowest credit crawl in film history. I think they were trying desperately to drag the run time of an 85-minute movie to 91 minutes.

As to content: 23% on Rotten Tomatoes is not good. But... better than the rating of Holmes & Watson, now in theaters...

[​IMG]

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Your post reminded me of the Tony Award winning Broadway smash “Avenue Q”...
    Which I’d heard that had that pseudo Sesame Street feel, from a former coworker that loved it.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Although that won 3 Tony Awards, made $117 million (which is a lot for a Broadway play), and had more than 2500 performances. That was a huge, huge critical and financial success by any measure. Happytime Murders was not.

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I’m Definitely not making a financial comparison - I just only thought of a production utilizing Muppet-like characters; whether created by the Hensons or not.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There has been a spate of film versions of hit Broadway plays. Coming up soon is Cats, which has been in development for many years. Avenue Q would definitely be possible. With Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services out there, that might be a good venue for a production like this (particularly with no censorship, no ratings, and no problem with high budgets).

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Well we saw it at the dollar show, so its ratio is better than a full price ticket. LOL

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, I saw the Blu-ray from Netflix for a couple of bucks and felt cheated.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I got a kick out of it and laughed a lot.

19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I decided to watch this today after a Chicago radio critic named it one of 2018’s worst movies.

I found it to be a classic case of a writer mistakingly thinking that exaggerated gags will lead to exaggerated laughs. A little silly string plopping up on the desk would be subtler and funnier than spraying the whole room with the stuff (in my opinion). Hey guys, the fact that a muppet does something R rated doesn’t mean it’s funny. This is what Youtube is for.

They should have used red feathers flying around the room when the muppets got shot-gunned.

All I can say is the Henson Co has proven they’ll whore out their product to the highest bidder.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.