"The Hateful Eight" - Kurt Russell with Quentin Tarantino again! Distributed in 70mm!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Quentin has a very highly-regarded revival movie theater on Beverly Blvd. in West LA called The New Beverly, and prides himself on showing only 35mm prints on no digital. He's an absolute purist on this subject.

One can argue that 35mm prints are basically the "VHS of film" these days.

Ghostworld and chacha like this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes indeed. Been wanting to go. I joke about VHS because I've heard that other than film, Q watches VHS on CRT.

3. chacha

Yes indeed. Been wanting to go. I joke about VHS because I've heard that other than film, Q watches VHS on CRT.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I don't understand why people complain about "The Hateful Eight" being shot in 70mm and mostly taking place indoors. 2001 was shown in 70mm and after the prologue except for a few scenes on the moon and outside the Discovery is all interiors as well.

Chad

5. chacha

It looked fantastic in the theater. My only complaint is most theaters now can't mask it properly which was distracting.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2001 -looks very Gerry Andersen now.
    Still enjoyable though.

7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Well 2001 was released a long time ago, The Hateful Eight was released rather recently. Very few people know how to properly project 70mm today.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Except for the entire Dawn of Man sequence on the plains of africa and all the outer space sequences which make up a huge portion of the film. You can't even compare The Hateful Eight to 2001 for vistas in 70mm. The whole 70mm stunt for The Hateful Eight was the equivalent of Tarantino raving about vinyl and owning a Crosley.

9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I'm not talking about projection, I'm talking about using a large format to film interiors.

Chad

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are mistaken. There's a ton of huge wide vistas in the film -- I would bet an hour of 2001 either takes place outside, in outer space, on the moon, or going through the slight-scan light show at the end. This straw man argument doesn't hold up.

Hateful 8 also has about 2 hours of material that takes place in a single room. This ain't exactly what I call visual. Aside from the handful of exteriors prior to arriving, it's a very simple one-room murder mystery. You could've shot it for television and it would've worked fine.

Kyhl, Gumboo, Mark E. Moon and 4 others like this.
  11. But it wasn't shot for TV. I thought the interior wide soits were stunning. Everything placed just perfectly

nathan_h and Chris from Chicago like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I would much rather have seen the kill Bill movies made in 70 mm

budwhite likes this.
  13. chacha

I'd like to see virtually every movie in 70mm. I saw The Master a couple of years ago in the theater and it looked spectacular. The clarity of digital with the warmth and aliveness of film. I love it.

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. alexpop

Any complete "Bill" in the horizon.
    The 2 Bill - Films sequed together perhaps with a intermission?

yesstiles likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's good and bad with 70mm film in projection. The big problem nowadays -- which they encountered quite a bit with Hateful 8 -- is the lack of skilled projectionists and good theaters in which to run it. With a great theater and a great projectionist, there's no problem.

What is a practical issue is that the film gets worn every time you run it, so there are more scratches and tears that happen every single day. After 2 or 3 weeks, that print is beat to hell. There are exceptions, like the Imax film theaters, where they literally treat the print with kid gloves, but this does not happen at run-of-the-mill theaters.

I think the "Premium Large Format" digital theaters at least offer 4K projection, very bright pictures, comfortable seats, and all that stuff. To me, this is a better alternative than 70mm in 2016. But the ticket prices are higher, and it's still a digital image and not film (although it's a very good digital image).

chacha likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think that ship has sailed. Seems like it was supposed to come out a decade ago - if it's not come out by now, I find it more and more difficult to believe it ever will! :sigh:

17. alexpop

Tarantino considered it at one point ?

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't remember what was discussed, honestly - I recall rumors but I don't know how far up the food chain they went.

Seemed like there was an assumption the "complete version" would come out - can't recall if QT himself ever formally chatted about it, though...

19. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Re-watched it again this past week and it didn't disappoint. Love the QT dialogue that is playful yet packs a wicked bite.

For anyone interested, Amazon currently lists the BD for $9.96 and the DVD for $5.99. Well worth it, imo.

20. alexpop

Chatted " amongst friends. Rodriquez.,no doubt.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Tarantino definitely made an announcement in the press some years back that he was going to release "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair," which was to present Kill Bill as one movie (which it actually is), removing the reveal scene about the pregnancy and restoring the Crazy 88's scene to color.

alexpop likes this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I like Kill Bill just fine the way it is. I really don't care much for part 2 at all, which I find very tedious. I'll watch part 1 over and over, though.

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Maybe the final act and wedding scenes, but I love the California desert sequences.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Finally saw this; the longest I've waited to see a Tarantino film.
    I liked it, but there were too many...more obvious than usual "look at me" instances.
    The too modern music in frontier times, the clumsy focus on the near field, focus on the far field 6 times in a row, The Thing tribute: all detracted from the film.
    For self indulgence, he should have just inserted himself into the film as an actor like he did in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.
    Other than that, it was an engaging film.

25. alexpop

Aye, the bitch fight was awesome.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.