The History of Compact Disc thread. Information wanted.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by innercircle, Jul 8, 2006.

1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Here's the cover and inside page of the Compact Disc Group Catalog Vol. 1 No. 1 June 1983.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Here's the rest of the pages of the Compact Disc Group Catalog Vol. 1 No. 1 June 1983.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sebastich, paulisdead and mscoll like this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

WOW! That pamphlet is hella-cool!!

Sebastich likes this.
  4. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow I love this Forum!

Thank you very much George, that catalog is so great!

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I did a search on active threads but couldn't find anything, so here goes....

Based upon reading this thread, I get the impression that as more CD titles were introduced during those early years, the prices of the discs get cheaper. For example, previously 3,500 Yen titles in Japan were reissued for 3,200 Yen (or lower). I have a 38DH CD and it's single disc title. I did a search on ebay and the only 38DH title available for bidding is also a single disc title (Herbie Hancock). Where do the 38DP/38DH titles fit into the puzzle?

Just wondering. :confused:

6. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

I don't know about 38DP/DH, but I believe the 38DC titles were the new digital recorded releases, whilst the 35DC were reissues from analog sources.

I don't know, but I think the 32DPs came around 1986/7. I have also seen some 35DPs that looked like they were pressed around 1989/90.

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Hmmm....you may be right. I just got a John Williams (the classical guitarist, not the movie music composer) CD, catalog number 38DC 115, that has a "DR" logo (for digital recording) in the back cover.

Also just noticed that my 38DH 46, Marlene's "It's Magic", was a digital recording as well....

[​IMG]

Thanks for pointing that out!!

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Now that I think about it, that must be true, at least with respect to the CBS/Sony releases. Wow, I never would have figured that out.

It is not true of other label releases, such as Warner (38XD), A&M (38XB) or my beloved ABBA Disconet CD pressings (CDP-101, etc.). These were just earlier releases at a higher price point.

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

While "googling" 38DH/DP titles, I came across what was described as a CD of 35DH 1 in "very good" condition on a Japanese website (it was in English) for US$12.00. I purchased it and it should be here in about a week.

Wow! One of the other CDs with the "1" designation available on October 1, 1982.

10. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Well done!!

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Just arrived in the mail today....

Eiichi Ohtaki - A Long Vacation (35DH 1). See this thread for photo.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't have that one, but I have 35-8P-1 (Julio Iglesias) and 35-8H-1 (the Shanels, a Japanese doo-wop group that performed in blackface). You know something, I'm not sure why I have them . . . . . . .

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

According to HMV, it is the release date for the CD. But I could not confirm it, since another site says that no domestic pop disc was released on the date. It still remains mystery.

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I guess you are correct. IMHO H is for Hougaku, 'domestic music'.

Sebastich likes this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Nice grab. :thumbsup:

Ohtaki once has formed a band with Haruomi 'Harry' Hosono, a member of Yellow Magic Orchestra. Ohtaki produced some good recordings of Seiko Matusda, too.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Really? Wow! That's nice to know. :thumbsup:

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I had a dentist appointment in the morning, so I was able to receive this in the mail at home. I am also in the process of obtaining some early 35DH series Seiko Matsuda CDs.

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Recently I acquired the early pressings of four albums by Yumi Arai, the Carole King or Joni Mitchell of Japan. Although she would eventually become one of the most successful singer/song writer in Japan, in these early albums her melodies sound still very fresh today. Haruomi Hosono played in most of these albums, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yumi_Matsutoya

Sadly, the sound of her whole albums has been ruined on the remesters by Bob Ludwig.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I just saw the last three pages of the thread, which is too long to read through. You could let me know if you have posts you want me to read. Could be I will share my knowledge with you.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Do you know if all the original 50 titles were pressed in the same quantity? Since these 50 titles were for the Japanese domestic market, is it possible that a Seiko Matsuda title, such as 35DH 3, be pressed in more numbers than, for example, a Billy Joel title?

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The industry only knew it.

It is quite possible. But meanwhile I can't leave the impression that all items were pressed in (roughly) same numbers, since it was the Sony's, as well as the industry's, big project.

22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Kong Kong PolyGram just issued a 300 page catalog called "Catalogue of PolyGram", which showed 3 CD titles issued in 1983, and one of which is shown on post 292 (page 15). This was done by referencing individual catalog numbers of known titles. Of the three CD titles released that year, only one was on the Philips label. It's possible that the CD shown in post 292 is the only orange swirl CD ever released by HK PolyGram. Below is a pic of the catalog I received in the mail today....

[​IMG]

Sebastich likes this.
  23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I never knew Polygram/Philips had ever released music in non-European language. It looks like the company is more diversified than I thought.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The HK division of PolyGram is THE dominant music company in that city. PolyGram also had operations in Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and now, China.

25. Cool stuff!! Neat to see a orange swirl with Philips for a label.