The History of Compact Disc thread. Information wanted.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by innercircle, Jul 8, 2006.

1. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident Thread Starter

And you know what originate the size of the CD's?
    Here it is:

Attached Files:

BeatlesBop likes this.
  2. innercircle

I promise to compile the main information and post it here.

3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

Never knew this. Tried it immediately, and yes. It's exactly the size of a dubbeltje.

edit: I'll miss our old money.... Euro :realmad:

Attached Files:

4. innercircle

Sebastich likes this.
  5. innercircle

"Bruce Springsteen's hugely successful Born in the USA was the first CD to be manufactured in the US."

Sebastich likes this.
  6. mandel

mandel New Member

I seem to remember that Brothers in Arms' claim to fame was that it was the first CD to be recorded entirely in digital.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

That can't be right. There were lots of digital classical recordings made before that.

Lance LaSalle and BeatlesBop like this.
  8. A little off topic, but the other night on 'Discovery' Channel I believe, was a program called 'How it's Made', and they showed the complete process of how CD's are made. From the creation of the master, to the final product. A really cool segment. It is probably being replayed, so you might want to check the 'Discovery' channel's listing.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I heard Security, or The Nightfly had that distinction.

Sebastich and BeatlesBop like this.
  10. mandel

mandel New Member

Yeah of course, classical companies were doing it in the late 70's. :eek: Just looking around on google it is often credited as being the first or one of the first all digitally recorded rock albums.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The first CD players sold in the USA were Magnavox top loaders. They were first test marketed at Miller's Department Store in Knoxville, TN in 1983. It cost $1,000. I took the repair course to get certified to repair them. First country CD's were "Best Of The Statler Brothers" and "Stardust" by Willie Nelson to meet local tastes. Compact discs at the launch were priced at $22 each or $45 for double sets. There were a decent number of gray market players from Japan available. The Sony CDP-101 was introduced to the USA market 6 months later and the rest was history.

Sebastich likes this.
  12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

http://www.geocities.com/tengreates...the_music_cd_celebrates_a_major_milestone.htm

The Music CD Celebrates a Major Milestone: CD Turns 20

The year 1983 made a significant mark on American pop culture. Mohawks were in fashion along with stonewashed jeans, long t-shirts and leg warmers. Cabbage Patch dolls and Rubik’s Cubes were the must have toys. Every Breath You Take by The Police topped the Billboard chart, and compact discs first hit the shelves at the local music store.

Twenty years later, most of those fads have gone by the wayside. However, the compact disc has shown itself to be a proven technology - despite wary merchants and consumers when it first became available. Unlike its predecessors, the 45, LP, 8-track and cassette tape, the CD has not only taken the electronics industry by storm, but has recreated itself along the way.

The CD is one of the most successful and most prevalent mediums for storage of music and information ever conceived, said Steve Jean, director of product planning at Philips Consumer Electronics, North America . It is a remarkable feat of engineering - playing music from a disc while there is no physical contact with the medium itself. This technology is a far cry from the days of vinyl when records got scratched and dirty which rapidly wore them out.

History of the CD

In 1969, Klaas Compaan a Dutch physicist working for Philips, came up with the idea for a laser disc, primarily meant for movie distribution (like DVD today). A glass prototype of the disc was developed at Philips a year later. In the late 1970s, the marketing focus was shifted to music, and Philips and other consumer electronics experts demonstrated a prototype CD system in Europe and Japan as a joint collaboration. The system was made available to consumers in those countries in the fall of 1982.

CD technology became available in the United States the following spring, and caught on quickly. In 1983, the first year they were available, 800,000 compact discs were sold in the United States . By 1990, that number soared to 288 million discs sold in the U.S. and nearly a billion worldwide. It is estimated that over 12 billion discs have been sold worldwide to date.

The technology is constantly evolving. When first introduced to the market, consumers could only listen to music prerecorded on the compact discs from the factory. Today, consumers have the ability to create their own compilations or data discs using CD-Rs and CD-RWs from their own sources. In addition, the evolution of the CD-ROM has changed the way data can be stored via a computer and even takes photo storage and sharing to a new level with Photo CDs. The CD led to the creation of the DVD, which has become the chosen format for video, multimedia and game applications.

In addition, Philips co-created the Super Audio CD (SACD), which provides a revolutionary musical experience by putting listeners in the center of a three-dimensional listening experience. SACD creates one of the most life-like audio reproductions available to date, while still maintaining full compatibility to its older cousin, the CD.

Today the CD is not only the most successful music format, its cousin, the CD-ROM, is the standard for data storage for PCs and laptops of all types, said Jean. With the instant access to any selection, no need to rewind or fast forward, the incredible dynamic range and noise free reproduction, the CD is today’s standard for music around the world.

original source:
    http://www.aitp.org/index.jsp

Sebastich and BeatlesBop like this.
  13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'd guess the Sony was the first CD player to decode "emphasis".

14. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

...and jazz, especially from Japan.

15. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I thought every player had to do this, because it was part of the standard (a.k.a."Redbook")?

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Nope! The first CD player I had didn't and the sound would cut out on some of the brighter parts of the music since something was getting overloaded.

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Hmmm! Interesting. I've also heard that it happened to correspond to the size of Heineken beer mats that were in use at that time. However, I was given a guided tour of Deutsche Grammophon's museum a few years ago, and there I was shown some of the earliest 'vinyl' discs (they were either shellac or some kind of resin). Some of the discs were 5" (12 cm) across, but were a lot thicker than 'vinyl' records as we know them today. My guide, legendary DG tonmeister Klaus Hiemann, explained how Emil Berliner had developed discs to be played from below (though playing from above became more popular -- you may as well work with gravity!), he also showed me one of the old metal disc-based music players (not sure what you would call them) that had slots cut into the disc that would play music as this large disc rotated (something like a player-piano, but it was not piano-based), and he was the one that showed me the trick with the 'dubbeltje'. Of course, he then pointed out that the CD is a 5" disc, containing digital pits (rather like the slots of the old disc) and is read from below. So, after 100 years the company had effectively come full-circle.

BeatlesBop and Robert C like this.
  18. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

Philips CD100 (Price in 1983 Euro 907).
    Museum display with CD100, CD101, CD200, CD300.
    First public demonstration March 8, 1979.

Attached Files:

BeatlesBop likes this.
  19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

One of the first few audio equipment manufacturers to design a truly-audiophile quality CD player was the British company Meridian.

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought CD size was determined by the DIN dashboard cutout in automobiles. The size of Dutch currency or Heineken deckles would be a coincidence.

It was my understanding that CDs were as big as they could be without asking automobile and car stereo manufacturers to change the size of the head units or dashboard cutouts, an important concession to the format's portability and acceptance among third parties.

21. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I doubt the DIN dashboard mount size was a consideration when CD was first developed.

Reading around, Kees Immink confirms that the 11.5 cm proposal from Philips was due to the diagonal size of a cassette, and that the shift to 12 cm was a tactic used by Sony's Norio Ohga to allow Sony to catch up with Philips in the area of disc production.

As for the center hole being exactly equal to the size of a dubbeltje, that is no coincidence.

23. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

IIRC, that dubious honor went to Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop". I say dubious because I've read that it sounds pretty harsh.

As to the physical size, I had read where the size was somewhat driven by the mandate that it had to contain enough data to play Beethoven's Ninth (?) from start to finish. Urban myth?

BeatlesBop and The Elephant Man like this.
  24. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

According to this month's issue of Sound & Vision, that bit of trivia is factual. BTW, The July/August issue of Sound & Vision Magazine has multiple articles about the future of recorded music and the "death" of the CD. The information may not be new to many of the members here, but it's there if you're interested.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The first Philips models didn't decode Pre-emphasis accurately. Abbey Road, Dark Side Of The Moon, Denon Classical discs and some others didn't play well on them. The Sony CDP-101 had no trouble with this. Philips rectified this problem on the second series of players. I have a technical bulletin about this lying around at work.

BeatlesBop likes this.