THE HOLLIES import compilations on compact disc: Steve's recommended versions..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Also note: For anyone listening to the collapsed FLAC I posted and comparing it to the original, long mono mix, due to the "db rule" and the fact that the two channels weren't 100% identical, it probably won't match up *exactly* to that true mono mix in terms of levels -- any potential, additional reverb aside.

2. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

3. David R. Modny

Hi Ed,

It's pretty much the go-to format for lossless compression these days. Especially for all things internet. It can easily be decoded back to WAV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

Dave

4. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

Hmmmm. Have to check it out. I use wav for any files I save or send.

Thanks for the info.

5. David R. Modny

My pleasure.

The cool thing about it is that it's truly lossless. You can endlessly go back and forth between WAV and FLAC all day long, and it will still be bit-perfect to your original file. Think of it merely as a data packing container that reduces file size between 30-60% -- a "zip file" for audio, if you will.

There's some debate (here at least) as to whether or not there's any sonic price to pay for decoding and streaming a FLAC file on-the-fly and in *real time* with an applicable player, but there's no debate as to whether or not the format is truly transparent when it comes to compressing and decoding back to WAV in a lossless fashion. As noted, what you put in, you get back -- exactly and bit-perfect -- every single time. FLAC is also the preferred and prevalent format these days in the bit torrent world.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Hollies programming.

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

After reading the entire thread, I have discovered there is NO good mono Hollies on CD.

I have the "smokestack" CD for the stereo, but would really like quality mono versions of the earlier hits (I hate wide stereo).

So let me ask the forum this. Is there any CD that has the mono, that maybe does not sound great, but does not sound terrible?

7. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

I eventually created a UK A&B side comp from a number of sources. Quality variable. Left one or two off because it meant shelling out money just to get one track. One track was not available in mono on any CD.

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The E.P. Collection is a good listen (See For Miles Record, See CD 94), but it doesn't have most of the hits.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

He Ain't Heavy, He's Noise Reduced

Is the NR'd collection "The Hollies at Abbey Road 1966 to 1970" the only place to get the mono mix of He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother on cd?

10. DoyleWilburn

DoyleWilburn Forum Resident

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

12. majomor

majomor New Member

I was lucky enough to come across the EMI 2 disc set a few years back.Superb selection of songs and sound to match...

13. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Anyone know if there is a version of "Postcard" on CD without the sound effects?

14. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

No,seems that version is only on the US Epic LP...mono & stereo mixes....I remember when Sundazed was coming out with the "Dear Eloise/King Midas" Lp on Cd I was looking forward to hearing those few tracks on the US Lp without those sound effects,but they used the UK masters for that CD...I understand the UK masters are better sounding but it would have been great to even get those US mixes as bonus tracks...
    I always found it interesting how Epic got those masters for the US release.
    Does anyone know if they were issued in any other country?

JF

15. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I recently picked up this 2-disc Hollies comp:

The Hollies - 25 years.jpg

The Hollies - 25 Years The Definitive Collection (EVA 353.395)

It came out in 1988, made by Sonopress. Sound quality is excellent; no NR as far as I can tell. Anyone else have this comp?

Track listing:

CD1
    1. Just Like Me
    2. Searchin'
    3. Stay
    4. Just One Look
    5. Here I Go Again
    6. We're Through
    7. I'm Alive
    8. Look Through Any Window
    9. I Can't Go
    10. Bus Stop
    11. Stop Stop Stop
    12. On a Carousel
    13. Carrie Anne
    14. King Midas in Reverse
    15. Dear Eloise
    16. Jennifer Eccles
    17. Listen to Me
    18. Sorry Suzanne
    19. Blowin' in the Wind
    20. He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

CD2
    1. I Can't Tell the Bottom from the Top
    2. Gasoline Alley Bred
    3. Hey Willy
    4. Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)
    5. The Baby
    6. Magic Woman Touch
    7. The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee
    8. The Air That I Breathe
    9. Son of a Rotten Gambler
    10. I'm Down
    11. Falling Calling
    12. Sandy
    13. Daddy Don't Mind
    14. Wiggle That Wotsit
    15. Heartbeat
    16. Shine Silently

I'm still looking for the EMI All The Hits And More, but in the meantime this set will do just fine. :cool:

16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Which tracks are mono, which are stereo?

17. Sander

Sander Senior Member

As with other EVA comps I own the 4 page booklet doesn't contain any usefull info (like track times, mono/stereo, sources, etc.) :realmad:. I'm inclined to say most if not all tracks are in stereo, but I can't be 100% sure as I usually walk around the house a lot doing other stuff while listening to music. I'd be happy to check by ear; are there any tracks you are particularly interested in?

18. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The mono mixes are much rarer on CD, that's the reason I am asking. For most of the tracks, decent CD mastering of the stereo mixes on CD is easily available. So if, say, Bus Stop, Carrie Anne or King Midas happened to be the mono mixes on this comp, it would be ver interesting.

19. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Finally had time to listen; Bus Stop, Carrie Anne and King Midas are all stereo (as were all the other tracks I listened to).

20. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

The mono single mix of "Bus Stop" - not a fold down from the stereo - is on the 12 track CD: Classic Masters on Capitol from 2002. Selection #: 72435-36266-2-4

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Probably uses the Imperial Records mono tape copy. How does it sound? No-Noised to death or not?

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Ed, you and REAL GONE MUSIC need to do a complete MONO singles package on The Hollies and help fix this mess of CD catalog reissues. The 2001 "Super Hits" disc http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hits-Ho...1348792881&sr=1-1&keywords=hollies+super+hits
    has the MONO version of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother".

So far the CD's that I have that I feel are worthy include the "smokestack cover" disc that Steve recommended and I like the Epic Anthology that Vic Anesini did and there are even some worthy remixes on that 3-CD set that Ron Furmanek did, otherwise, it's a crap shoot!

23. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

Steve,

I don't have the original Imp single available for A/B. I'll be glad to send you a wav file of "Bus Stop" from this CD if you want to hear it.

Ed

24. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

Chris, you're a man after my own heart. I've wanted to do a Hollies singles comp dating back to CCM but it, sadly, ain't gonna happen because:

* The US Hollies singles appeared on Imperial and Epic and doing a cross-license deal for a third-party package presents difficult financial challenges for the label

* There have been many Hollies comps over the years, each of which has reduced the general demand for another one. Unfortunately, reissue labels can't survive on sales to us music geeks/collectors alone.

Too bad that the master-owning labels have never put together a comp/set with all the original, best-quality mixes. As you noted, The Hollies' tracks are all over the place disc-wise as well as stereo/mono-wise.

I recently created a homebrew singles mono CD drawing from several sources. Turns out not all UK single sides are available in mono on CD. Quality ranged from good to mediocre.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ed,

The wife told me you called. I'll try and buzz you back soon. Gotta gig tomorrow and I'm a bit stressed out...

I'd like to hear BUS STOP, yes. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.