The Honeymooners "Classic 39" On Blu-ray October 15th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

"Official Captain Video space helmet on, oh Captain Video!"

xilef regnu likes this.
  2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Decent list of extras, the highlight being the 1966 "The Adoption" show, as well as the Buick promo film. As much as I love the series I am going to have to wait until the price drops before I take the dive ...

Jrr likes this.
  4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Whether to pay again to upgrade when one has a copy is a good question. But some seem to wonder why it's being offered on Blu-Ray at all; at another forum I saw some questioning the value of high def for "an old B&W TV show" and particularly a "comedy on cheap sets." Seeing this thread here, I thought I'd offer my two bits.

When you go to see a stage play, why do you want good seats?

The stage sets will look like stage sets whether you're watching from the front row or the restroom doorway (and you wouldn't be there if you'd taken my advice at the concession stand, pal). You can see and hear the people on stage in the back row. Ah, but closer up you can get a better view of the performances, a more vivid impression with more nuance; also, you have a clearer window onto the set, which can often make it easier to concentrate on the performances and the scene and therefore be more involving and immediate. More immersive, as they say at Sea World.

The reason for a Blu-ray of the episodes still surviving on film - for those with large high-def displays and assuming the mastering is up to par - would be similar to getting better seats. In this case, to see Jackie Gleason in his iconic role heading a cast featuring Audrey Meadows, Joyce Randolph and Art Carney!

Will a better picture quality will make the "cheap" (stage-y) sets more evident? Well... just how could people watching it standard def on their old TVs have been pointing out the nature of the sets if it hasn't been perfectly obvious at any res all along? A show like this is just like a stage show. It isn't about the sets being literally real. It's about the drama, pathos and comedy. There's no downside to seeing the performances better. Or Audrey Meadows.

Better picture quality can and generally does aid enjoyment. It's a plus, not needed - out of all the shows of its time, The Honeymooners is probably one of the least needy of high-res; the DVDs do seem fine and for that matter, it did and will work effectively seen on a fuzzy handkerchief size screen across the room. But it's not likely anyone seeing it on a good high def display is going to want a lesser view. Nobody goes to see a stage play and asks at the ticket booth, "Gimme da woirst seet in da howse." Since Ethel Merman anyway. Or Hair.

Why Blu-Ray? Seems to me we're lucky to have such an option. :)

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Its clear those Viacom money grabbers are back at it ,these are the same crooks who offer half seasons of old b&W TV shows at insane high prices for plain old dvds ,so its no shock that it list price for this set is over
    a hundred bucks
    as for the Picture Quality good 35mm(the Twilight Zone) is better than Blue Ray, ,But from what I seen of the Hooneymooners
    dvds ,they aren't in the same league as the Twilight Zone DVDs One would hope they found better prints than the ones used for that dvd set and fixed them up,I guess we will find out if these sets are worth their high price

Jrr likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Very glad this is coming out....a huge fan of the show. And the xtras...pretty neat. Even thought I already have them, I went to pre order it on Amazon...until I saw the price. I don't think so...and I'm a huge fan! I think they are going to see huge resistance to the point they will surely get significantly reduced. I think the absolute max people would pay is retail $79.95....on a good day! They aren't even close, and there isn't that much wrong with the standard discs that blu ray is going to fix. Would also love to get the Columbo blu ray set...same issue. I can afford it, but I won't spend much more than what something is worth to me,like most of you I'm sure. Both of these sets are way, way too high imo. What are they thinking? Studios, don't confuse low sales with lack of interest! I know there are costs associated with producing such a product, but what is the point of green lighting a project that is going to be too expensive for anyone other than rabid fans? I would get far more repeat viewing pleasure from getting that beautiful Columbo import blu ray set, and I would pay upwards of $400 for that set way before the HM set, but it doesn't matter....both of these are ridiculously over priced.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree with you, but there is a limit to what I will pay for front row seats. They went wayyyy over it pricing this set the way they did. I'm with PNeski on this, and I hate being negative!

8. apileocole

The pricing does seem steep to me too.

9. PNeski@aol.com

This is the best comedy show ever ,sorry Seinfeld and MTM (shows I like)

10. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I think the music rights for "The Hucklebuck" is what sent the price skyrocketing...

Benno123 likes this.
  11. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

You're a riot Alice. A regular riot.

Har har har har hardee har har

Baby, you're the greatest.

CusBlues likes this.
  12. helter

helter Forum Resident

Yes but you want the next viewing to be really really special !

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, on a pension, I'd rather eat ! :laugh:

Blu-ray.com :

Price
    List price: $129.99, Price history: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amazon: $119.99 (Save 8%)
    Third party: $119.99 (Save 8%)
    Available for pre-order, FREE shipping

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's crazy steep! but, what's even crazier? the Andy Griffith Show BR at $129.99 for the first season! that's nearly a grand for the rest of the seasons if they keep it at that pricing...no thanks! The DVD version is good enough.

CusBlues likes this.
  15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Completely agree here, what is the point of blu ray for this kind of stuff. I'd much rather see effort be put to all the great older films that haven't seen a blu ray release.

16. apileocole

It's too bad HD is coming around so late.

As to the cost. On the one hand, if we're talking about a legit, well mastered HD set from original film elements, we're talking some big cash having been invested in producing it. A lot of man hours locating, sorting, moving, resorting, scanning, resorting, removing then storing again anywhere from one to scores of films per ep and transferring the soundtrack element(s) for all that on very expensive gear. Then add the repair/restoration and mastering for all of that into completed episodes. Then authoring onto release media. Then add of course overheads for all the storage, shipping and transferring and restoration and mastering and authoring facilities. Then of course the big bills (any number of rights holders and all their lawyers)... then we can get to the costs of the actual product. How many copies will another release of the 50+ year old TV series move... what price is possible?

Honeymooners or Andy Griffith won't cost near the bucks getting Star Trek: TNG to HD does, but it is far more than what it cost to put routine old standard TV transfers on DVD. Will it look better? Absolutely, though how much I don't know. I do know that unlike Star Trek, you'd likely need a really big, really high quality display to enjoy a large difference in a case like this - and if you have that, it's likely your wallet is a lot thicker than Ralph Kramden's and paying $125 for it is no problem.

On the other hand, yes their $$$ is too much for me and if sales are small at that price I'd think it could be a concern the selection will remain rather limited. Jrr's suggested $80 seems like a better middle ground if it were possible. Ah well.

I can see the point for this, but I'll agree it wouldn't be high on my list for needing a new transfer, let alone Blu-Ray. There are, as you say, a lot of great older films waiting. An awful lot.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes it is! Goes to show it isn't about sets and production values. It's about the talent...the people.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...that is even more ridiculous. I mean, who is going to buy that?? If they move 100 copies I would be shocked.

Michael likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I was trying to address your great point on the cost to produce this in a previous post but should have said it in plain english. You can put out a terrific product but if it's just too expensive, you should not green light it. People, imo, are not going to pay that kind of money for an old black and white show even though it's an iconic, wonderful, brilliant show. I love the show, I can very much afford it, and I just won't pay that much. To me, it is throwing money away. The benefit VS cost, ie, value, simply isn't there. I'm concerned they will blame lack of sales on lack of interest and limit further releases. If it has to cost that much, my feeling is it costs too much and they probably should not have produced it. I don't buy it that it is a cost issue. We have seen plenty of blu ray season sets sell for a whole lot less. I have no doubt they will either learn a lesson and significantly lower the price, or they will just be blown out and we won't see releases like this. Kind of like our ridiculous health care system....it might be great (I don't think it is), but what good is it if we can't afford it? There is such a disconnect between people that green light things and what people can really afford. If blu ray has to cost that much more, then regular DVD is fine by me. It's good enough.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, The Andy Griffith Show has had it's run on home video...they released the show on separate season DVDs plus a complete box set, a 50th Anniversary set and endless Public Domain DVDs...I just cannot see investing money on BR for this show when the DVDs look fine...there were a few problems here and there but overall I'm happy with my DVDs.
    The Honeymooners is one set complete...I can see ppl that have extra cash springing for that on on BR...again, I own the DVDs and I'm happy with them...

21. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

This is a joke, you can get the original DVD set now on Amazon for $15.30

...meanwhile, all five seasons of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" on blu-ray cost only $133 and each season is about $33...

Michael likes this.
  22. PNeski@aol.com

yes but those aren't from those Viacom weasels

23. Robbhilson

Robbhilson Forum Resident

I'd hate to think a poor man would own the Blu Rays!

dirwuf likes this.
  24. rpd

rpd Senior Member

First post? Nice...

You need to spill the bean to the Forum about the new table set up that is on the way to you...

25. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I thought this set was "to the moon"........until I saw the price. Since I love this show, but never bought it, I may just buy the DVDs from Amazon for $23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.