"The Honeymooners" Classic 39 One at a Time (Episode-by-Episode Thread)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I just ordered it as well. I guess I will have to pass on my other box set to my nephew. :D

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes. My father had one (and Captain Video gun). He remembers the hat looking like Norton's and having to send away for it (though I can't confirm that).

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

4. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

[​IMG]

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm afraid to ask....how old was he when he ordered it? :shh:

davenav likes this.
  6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

29 ;)

Had to be 7 or less...I'll have to ask him.

MLutthans likes this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Episode 4 - "A Woman's Work is Never Done"

Aired: 10-22-55

The Kramdens hiring a maid stretches the bounds of even sitcom credulity, but the writers do a nice enough job of addressing this absurdity ("I can't even afford YOU!" says Ralph).

Thelma the maid gives Ralph's mother-in-law a run for her money in the insult department: "Some guest and some employer. The simp and the blimp." I love Gleason's responses to Alice's monologue on the difficulties of housework (capped off with the facetious "Good gosh!")

Some random observations:

Three episodes in a row without Trixie! Joyce Randolph got to see her name in the opening credits and collected a paycheck, but she might have been wondering when she'd get to DO something.

Minus some greetings, Ralph's first line in episode 4 and is the same as his first line in episode 1 - "Hurry up with my eats, I'm going bowling". Gleason also reuses the "It pays to buy the best" after choking on the cigar bit that was in "Funny Money".

[​IMG]

Betty Garde is terrific as Thelma. So terrific, and memorable, that when she's featured in a "Twilight Zone" ("The Midnight Sun") in a sympathetic role, I keep waiting for Thelma-esque insults to come pouring out - Okay?

[​IMG]

Yucca Flats ... after the blast.

For reasons unknown (maybe he was nervous hiring a maid for the first time), Ralph provides an incorrect address for the Kramdens - 728 Chauncey Street. The Kramdens, like the Gleasons (circa 1920) lived at 328 Chauncey Street. Norton will provide the correct address to Harvey the bully ... but that episode is a long ways away yet.

[​IMG]

It's the red one.

8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Yep, WPIX was my "home" station. Honeymooners, Star Trek, and Odd Couple. My favorite Honeymooners episodes were ones with flubs, and Gleason's ad-lib recoveries were amazing. "OH IT CAN CORE A APPLE!" and a piece flies off the device when he shakes it. "Maybe we should say something about spear fishing!" A piece falls of his spaceman costume. "I need that, that's my denaturizer."

Priceless.

9. empire145

empire145 Forum Resident

I have to say I am enjoying this thread so much. I've broken out the blurays and I'm following along. I find myself watching each episode, then after reading the posts, I watch them again.

This is great!

10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I am, too ... when it is all said and done, a long ways away, I propose we do selected Lost Episodes in a new thread. But. It until this is finished.

Besides the 39 it is also making me revisit some of the rarer shows I have in my collection ... Gleason and Carney together are just pure magic!

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I love Gleason, but Art Carney? Talented, talented guy; funny as heck, and a solid actor. Kind of reminds me, from the world of music, of how it was always "The Dave Bruceck Quartet," but Paul Desmond absolutely could have fronted his own group, and he added so much to that group.

I love the story about Rod Serling writing "Night of the Meek" for The Twilight Zone for the simple reason that he wanted to see Art Carney play Santa Claus. Then there's Harry and Tonto and The Late Show. Wonderful.

GTOJUDGE, MMM, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  12. RayS

Maybe it was Carney's quiet retiring nature vs. Gleason's egotistical bluster, but I always felt Carney was more the comic genius (and surely the better actor) of the two. But as time has gone on, to me it's like arguing over John vs. Paul. They were both great, and incredibly great TOGETHER.

I mentioned in another thread how they coincidentally both went on to chase after Burt Reynolds ("W.W. & The Dixie Dance Kings" & "Smokey & The Bandit") in their old age.

[​IMG]

1975 Best Actor - Not Nicholson, Pacino, Hoffman, or Finney .... Art Carney

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Actually, I think this is quite good

MMM and Benno123 like this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I think it is, too. I don't know of any other late night shows like this from Jackie, and very few in-depth interviews anyway. Carson and Gleason knew each other and various people for years, I think Jackie just let Johnny lead the way.

The chain-smoking part, that is part of the Great One. During the height of show in the 1950s he was smoking 6 packs a day.

davenav, rufus t firefly and MMM like this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

There couldn't have been the show without Art. Jackie Gleason seemed to praise him without hesitation from what I've seen, and really seemed to know how important he was for THE HONEYMOONERS to be great.

I love how they made the Norton character be able to almost do anything, while Ralph couldn't, no matter what scheme he tried next. Even though needing credit, on the same pay as Ralph his apartment was much fancier, including a recorder and water softener. He could play the piano, dance well, play golf, eat a lot without gaining weight, become Racoon of the Year, and even win the contest for best costume as the Man From Space without even trying.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  16. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Gleason refused to do The Honeymooners without Carney. He could replace the wives but Carney must be there. Except once: in 1973ish Gleason did a special taped in London with Julie Andrews and she played Norton. Julie can do almost anything but being Ed was not one of them ...

Interestingly enough when Carney had free time in 1965 which also matched Audrey Meadows' schedule Gleason planned a special Honeymooners show to air in 1966, the first Honeymooners show since 1962.

davenav and MMM like this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

20/20 on Gleason:

18. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

davenav and RayS like this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think Gleason was the genius of the two--he saw the whole big picture, the camera shots/placement, timing, script work, etc. It was his inspiration and brilliance, and above all, his ability to find the humor and compassion in the Everyman. Carney was indeed a great actor--as perfect in comedy as with serious roles. And don't forget, when casting the Honeymooners, Gleason picked Carney--this man recognized great talent and who would be perfect for his purposes.

MMM and Benno123 like this.
  20. RayS

I can say with confidence that this photo comes from "A Matter of Life and Death" (about 6:30 in, to be precise). Air date was 10-29-55, so they were working with about 2 months lead time, at least at this stage.

MMM, davenav, MLutthans and 1 other person like this.
  21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Probably the right episode, but around the 6:30 mark, Jackie has his hand on a chair, whereas in the photo he does not. Perhaps a rehearsal photo?

davenav likes this.
  22. RayS

Episode 5 - "A Matter of Life or Death"

Aired: 10-29-55

This is a remake/extension of the 1952 skit "Six Months to Live" (the subplot with the magazine was added). That skit was done again in 1957, and (according to some sources anyway) again in 1968.

I've seen people quote (I don't know the original source) Gleason as this being his favorite episode. If that's true it's really interesting, since, to me, this episode is a tour de force for Carney. The second scene at the magazine office is just one laugh after another for Carney (the "sterile" joke just keeps on giving).

A few random thoughts:

Trixie is back! She's got her old spot back, helping to provide exposition and then disappearing for the rest of the episode.

A couple things that bother me (a little one and a big one):

The little one: The vet says "I've enclosed some pills" .... and Ralph takes those pills ... but it's plain to see that the delivery man only brings a thin envelope with a single sheet of paper in it.

The big one: I know they are going for a laugh (and they get one - a big one), but Alice's reaction to finding out that her mother's dog is dying ("the poor dog", she says at the beginning of the episode) is heartless and completely out of character. Maybe it's because I'm an animal lover, but it just sticks out for me. Yes, it's funny to her that Ralph has made a fool of himself by misinterpreting the letter, but one would expect she'd show some concern over Ginger.

The American Weekly (to my surprise) was a real magazine, and a prominent one.

[​IMG]

New York Public School 31, by the way, is in Bayside (Queens) not Oyster Bay (Long Island). Dr. Norton is just telling more lies. :)

davenav and Rose River Bear like this.
  23. RayS

I don't believe it is a rehearsal photo because of the unique way that Ralph's hat is sitting on the bureau. Not that I've made a chart or anything, but it looks like Gleason tended to lay the hat flat. I'm figuring the still comes from somewhere between the point where Gleason puts the vet's letter in his pocket and the point where he gets the paper to write his will.

24. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

American Weekly was an American Sunday supplement like Parade and Family Weekly.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  25. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Clips from the 1968/1969 version appear in the CBS Honeymooners 50th Anniversary special from 2002. None of these short 1960s skits have been released and not found on the "collectors market." But apparently this skit has roots all the way back to a still-lost sketch from the DuMont season. There is a lost skit from February 1, 1952 with no story information available called "Alice Finds A Dog" that this could be from. Most of these lost scripts are in the Harry Crane collection and UCLA so more info may be available from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.