'The Honeymooners' color episodes to air again / Color Television history...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Magnavox tubes were really RCA's rebranded. Most sets used RCA tubes.

My sets have the original tubes that came with them. I managed to find sets with little or no use on them. That's the only way I buy stuff; practically new old stock.

Attached Files:

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Now THAT is a beautiful piece! I'm sure you've shown that pic before, but never fails to impress!:thumbsup:

ED:cool:

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

yep, Steve it's a beauty! When you turn it off, can you still watch the little dot in the center slowly fade away, or was that just black and white sets?

4. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Absolutely! If my mom saw that she'd have a fit. She didn't let us get a color tv for years because she couldn't find one to match the furniture style of our Sears Silvertone console stereo, and Steve has it!!! She still has the stereo (purchased in 1963 for $500.00), it's all tube, and it still works. We were listening to some '78's on it just last week.

5. Steve Hoffman

The little dot in the center is multi-rainbowed. Totally cool and retro.

The first set (blonde moderne RCA) in the top picture is named "Zippy". The Danish Modern set with the tag is named "Nigel". This is my NEW 1964 Packard Bell: "Buster".. Old timers have seen these shots before of course, but perhaps newbies will enjoy them...As some of you remember, Buster has NEVER been turned on. Totally new old stock.

Attached Files:

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

How you can resist NOT turning that beauty on, I can't imagine....

For me, kinda like finding a sealed copy of some long sought-after Lp with a mix I've never heard to my satisfaction(say, a mono copy of THE DOORS] and just leaving it in the collection, sealed. I'd go bonkers....but love that still-in-the-showroom look, with the stickers on it and everything.

ED:cool:

7. Angel

Angel New Member

There is a sticker on the Packard Bell that states: Instant color purity.

Do you know what that means?

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

that is too cool :cool:

Steve - I love those names you picked - Zippy, Nigel, and Buster.

So how would the Packard Bell compare to the others (if you turned it on)?

9. Steve Hoffman

I don't know. I've never seen a Packard Bell color set in action. Packard Bell sets are scarce. Made in Los Angeles.

Zippy was the name picked by the old owners of the blonde set.

Nigel was a name that Karla gave to the Danish Modern set. It's marked "The Lundberg". So Karla thought that Nigel Lundberg was a good name. (She humors me).

I have no idea how Buster's name came to be. Karla probably named that one too.

10. Steve Hoffman

Actually, I do. All color TV sets must be demagnetized when turned on or at the very least, when moved.

Zippy and Nigel do NOT have "Instant Color Purity" so I have to demagnetize them if they are moved with a special device that looks like a hoop that you plug in. Angel, it's like demag'ing a tape machine.

The PACKARD BELL however, has an instant zapper demag device built in so when you turn it on, it does it automatically. So does YOUR TV! The next time you turn on your TV set, listen for that quick weird noise as it turns on, followed by a strange static charge. That is your "Instant color purity" device at work!

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I never get tired of looking at Steve's vintage TVs!:thumbsup: Keep 'em coming!

I had to pass on a mid-50s RCA b&w TV I saw at a Salvation Army recently. Not as sexy as the early color sets, but it was in perfect working order and had a beautiful cabinet. Fifty bucks.
    Man I wish I could've brought it home, but I was in another town and there's no way I could squeeze that baby into my Sentra (but man I thought long and hard about it).

Dan C

12. Steve Hoffman

Dan, I've seen so many great TV sets in my travels. But they are heavy suckers and don't travel well. Such is life.

I used to see old 21" color round tube color sets left out on the street for the trash man to take away. A shame. These sets really have an amazing color picture to them when working properly. Very Technicolor like.

Attached Files:

13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Jeez Louise, is this turning into Luddite Central or what? :p

14. Steve Hoffman

Same thing with audio vacuum tubes. You laugh until you hear (or see) and then you WANT!:)

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can still visualize my parents RCA Consul TV...I alway's loved the way "Lost In Space" looked in COLOR! Are your old sets compatible with DVD's? That would be interesting truly a marriage between old and new!:)
    Are you ever going to Turn On the PACKARD BELL?

16. Steve Hoffman

I've never tried the DVD thing. That's a bit much, even for me!

I'll turn it on, one day......

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd have to hook-up a DVD to one of those babies via the RF of course! With DVD's quality, it should look fantastic! When will you ever get the opportunity to turn on a Brand New Old stock TV gain? We only live once!:)
    If you decide to, let us know how it looks! I'm just too dam nostalgic for my own good. :laugh: My goal is to get EVERYONE of my favorite TV Shows on DVD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.