The Human League Anthology - A Very British Synthesizer Group

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BigManRestless, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wouldn't go quite that far, but if they'd been kidnapped by aliens after Dare I wouldn't be too miffed.

johnnyyen, Jim B. and Andy Smith like this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

why would you think the band has anything to do with the pricing?

you're picking on the wrong target.

just wait it out.

there's nothing wrong with the mp3 versions for the music, so in the end only you're missing out.

i've paid more for less (abc deluxe boxset), and for several promos, so the price bothers me a bit, but not enough to pass it up.

i'll get it in the end.

later

Christopher B likes this.
  3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Yeah, you're right, but I'm a bit stunned by this. I don't think I've seen such blatant overpricing as this. I really wanted to buy this set. I do feel a bit exploited by it, I'm a bit shocked and I want to feel like I'm not encouraging this sort of thing. so I'm going to take it on the chin and not even get the mp3 download.
    Others may feel different, but it has made me angry.

4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Empire State Human pre Boots girls music was groundbreaking.

October Man likes this.
  6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I loved The Human League back in the day, The Dignity of Labour in particular, and I still give a spin to Reproduction and Travelogue every now and then. I wasn't overtly impressed by the Dare material at the time it was released (I don't think I have ever heard the album in its entirety) and their later albums are completely unknown to me. I have often thought I should give their post-Travelogue stuff another chance. A comprehensive career overview like this could have been an easy way to accomplish this aim, if only the price wasn't prohibitive. Too bad, as there seems to be a wealth of early material in the track listing I would have been truly interested in hearing,

johnnyyen likes this.
  7. All their albums are cheap enough individually so I see zero point in anyone unfamiliar with the core catalogue picking this box set up as an alternative :confused:

It's also fascinating to hear from people who haven't heard Dare or anything afterwards. Personally speaking the pre-Dare albums have little interest to me and contrary to what is popularly trotted out by the media pundits, the post Dare output is generally very good, the exception being the Crash album. My favourite album is actually Secrets from 2000.

negative1 likes this.
  8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I want to get this box set but the price is ridiculous, considering the 19-disc Dead or Alive set is not that much more.

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No kidding, plus they left off the fantastic 12 inch of Heart Like A Wheel :D

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Reproduction, Dignity Of Labour 12", Travelogue, Holiday 80 ep, and Dare. I can live without the rest.

11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I don't understand why they are including a DVD. Can you even buy a new DVD player? Why not ditch the DVD and include a Blu Ray disc? (Yes, I understand a Blu Ray player is backwards compatible with DVD's.)

12. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

My interest in The Human League ended when the girls joined and Empire State Human is the finest thing to be pressed on vinyl.....EVER!!! :) (IMO) :)

johnnyyen and alexpop like this.
  13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

My interest only started when the girls joined! I also prefer Heaven 17 over The Human League!

Beaneydave likes this.
  14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Anyone know if they're using the original mono mix of 'Being Boiled'? That AFAIK hasn't been available since the 'Fast Product' sampler LP went OOP. All subsequent versions of the 45 are in fake stereo but the original is far superior.

15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Loved the way American Horror Story used the latter in one episode of the Hotel series. Just fitted like a glove:

johnnyyen likes this.
  16. alexpop

I guess when the chicks joined it was akin to Midge Ure joining ULtraVox( well sorta) :)

17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yeah, it went from being underground to commercial.

alexpop likes this.
  18. From arty but slight neo-Kraftwerk-lite pomp to fun original great pop tunes with danceable beats. I'll take the latter any day and it's arguably less dated today.

negative1 likes this.
  19. Yes, you can buy DVD players and DVD's are still by far the biggest selling home entertainment media, so why wouldn't they include a universally accepted / used platform?

negative1 and Man at C&A like this.
  20. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I don't know, but I've always preferred their re-recording of Being Boiled which was on the Holiday '80 ep.

21. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Am I the only one who likes both the artsy and poppy stuff? Post-Hysteria it isn't the same (I happen to love "Human" but the majority of the Crash album is terrible) except for maybe Octopus, but while commercial af, Dare is still a classic of its era and "Don't You Want Me" is one of those rare 80s songs (similar to Billie Jean or When Doves Cry) that is almost like teflon in the sense that its never worn out its welcome even after the 3 millionth time

oldturkey, Rufus rag and SteveM like this.
  22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Mmm I'd say wait until they record Fascination,Mirror Man & You Remind Me Of Gold - then kidnap them

I can understand the post Dare albums (Hysteria was a major let down) but Dare is as good as synth pop gets and ground breaking at the time.

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I also like both but post Dare there's not much great stuff - Human is a tad bland. They should have stuck with Martin Rushent

24. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Hysteria is definitely no Dare, but I do love Life On Your Own and Louise. The Lebanon was a terrible leadoff single choice though. After Crash, its just been Phil and the girls heading back into the studio every several years, it seemed like HL stopped being a band around Crash and just turned into "Phil, Susan and Joanne"

25. alexpop

Human League went from a daring band, new boundaries to a bland band too much cosmetics ...not enough edge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.