The "I almost bought it... but put it back (and regretted it)" thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkpotato, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Back in 1981, when I was a customary visitor to the many record stores that used to exist in my town, I saw the record below so many times there. I had it in my hands a lot of times and really liked that intriguing and uber cool cover, but since I never heard the band (radio airplay was my only "music discovering" source at the time and they got zero of it), I was never interested in buying it. I still wonder why the hell I didn't ask to play the record at the store just for the sake of curiosity. Fortunately I could fix my mistake 30 years later, with a way better copy than the one I would have gotten at the time.

Moving Pictures.jpg

Thurenity likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

so many times I've lost count...I no longer hesitate online or at a store...grab it cause it ain't gonna wait for you to come back!

jfeldt likes this.
  3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

A vinyl pressing of The Stills Logic Will Break Your Heart. Saw one about six years ago at Park Avenue Records while vacationing in Florida. I didn't pick it up at the time because it was used with a $20 price tag, which at the time, seemed a bit high. That, and it was either buy that one album or four others, so quantity won out. Now it sells for crazy money, if you can even find a copy. I've kicked myself nearly every day since for not buying it when I had the chance, and at that price.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

'A Factory Sample', Fac 2. £1.50 in Boneparte records Bromley, early '79. £1.50 was a bit expensive, so I put it back on the shelf and bought a Skids single instead...

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The T Rex Electric Warrior multichannel SACD, which I remember holding in my hands in a store in 2003.

The Rolling Stones SACDs - I picked up a few of them, but wish I had bought more. I remember passing on a 'Let it Bleed' SACD which was only £5. Still, it's being released on Blu Ray next week so I'm going to grab that...

6. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Neil Young - Eldorado EP
    Nirvana - Hormoaning EP

Had both in my hands, didn't buy them, both were cheap, BIG regret

sfp likes this.
  7. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I had a chance to buy all the Stones SACDs for $5 each at a warehouse sale. I passed on them ! This thread has brought back some painful memories.

8. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Janis Joplin : Pearl. Gold Mastersound CD edition. New, very cheap. I put it back, went away and thought about it, minutes later when i went back it was gone. He who hesitates etc.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's where I bought mine. They didn't have all off them but they ones they did have they had 100+ copies of.

10. Macman

Macman Senior Member

All DCC titles in the '90s.

Andrew likes this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

David Ruffin - Motown Solo albums V2. I think the disco suit on the cover scared me off, but by the time I realized I wanted this set, it was OOP and I ended up paying more than double the original price for a used copy. I love it though.

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat MFSL CD. I saw it in a local shop for $9.99 just about the time I joined here. I shoulda got that one, even though it's not a favorite album of mine.

DCC Elvis Is Back on vinyl - only $25. What was I thinking? Oh well, maybe it was worn out, trashed, warped, anyway...

I kicked myself really hard when I passed on a promo edition of the Gamble & Huff Philly sound box set that was said to sound better than the released version (it was supposed to be non-NRd). After a few years of searching, I finally landed one, only to find that it was the same exact sound as the released version... at least I didn't have to pay my maximum bid price.

12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

DCC Jethro Tull -Aqualung

Years ago, I coulda had a sealed copy for right around $20.00 on sale IIRC at one of the local B&B's , but I already had several CDs in my hand and I thought..." I'll be back for that one "...

It never happened and I still don't have it ... (sigh)

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To be fair, gold CD prices in 2003ish weren't what they are now. Yeah, $10 was still really good, but it wasn't as insanely low as it'd be in 2014.

Back in 2002-03, you could easily land a lot of DCC/MFSL titles for $15-$25 on eBay. In that time frame, I bought all of the Guns 'n' Roses MFSLs except for "Use Your Illusion II". I could've gotten it for $26 but I thought that was too expensive based on standard market rates - I figured it'd come up for $20 or so before long.

It never did! :sigh:

In retrospect, it sounds absurd that I quibbled over so little money, but the market just wasn't the same back then, so it made sense to me at the time...

14. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Oh yeah me too. Could have gotten it at a really good price but put it back.

One of my true what was I thinking moments

15. zmic

zmic Forum Resident

this thread should have a condolences button instead of a like button :)

SpeakerLabFan, jfeldt and Jack like this.
  16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

There were numerous cut-outs (back in the glory days of cut-out bins) for $1.00 or less that I inexplicably did not snap up. Some of them fetched high prices on the collector's market years later. Some of them I found much later in thrift stores, but others I never saw again.

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

YES, That's quite a deal!

18. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Living in Germany in the mid 70s, I remember seeing an album by Bernie Taupin. The cover showed Bernie with his hand covered in candle wax with the candle still burning (at least I think it was). I was a huge Elton fan at the time, but for some reason (most likely hadn't yet gotten my allowance for the week) didn't buy the album. I have yet to spot another copy.

19. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Chris Robinson Band Betty's Blends 4 record set. Sat there sealed for 59.99 and I was like i'll get it later. Mistake

Jack likes this.
  20. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I bought the Eldorado 12" when it was released, but I traded it with a friend for the cd version of it.
    Seemed a fine idea at the time, since I was buying othe Neil Young titles on cd as well.

21. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

The Doors Perception set owns me when it should be the other way around -- could've had it for $70, now it's five times that on a good day.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I went to a record convention in St. Louis and had the first Point Blank (Nicole fame) album in my hand, but put it back. I should have bought it.

23. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Black Crowes Before The Frost on vinyl - passed it by a few times - made worse that I was at the recording sessions so I guess the only album where you can maybe hear me ( in the fadeout applause)

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  24. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

'Dark' ~ Round The Edges... Had never heard of then so bought a lot of other albums that were going for 20p
    I can only make myself feel better knowing it wasn't one of the first pressings that were limited to 50 copies - it was a numbered edition tho'.

25. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

One major regret, I saw an official promo copy of smashing pumpkins machina 2. These were virgin records rips from the vinyl billy corgan produced. It was used as a reference recording for label execs to decide to release it or not. In the end, they passed. I saw it ameoba in Hollywood for $60 and thought it was too much. I passed and regretted it.

Even with the machina 2 album finally getting an official release, the thought of holding this rare promo and not buying it still bums me out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.