The "I almost bought it... but put it back (and regretted it)" thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkpotato, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Place: Now-defunct record store in Memphis

Time: 1994

I stopped in at this hole in the wall that specialized in original posters, LPs, 45s and 78s. I was on the lookout for 78s and he pulled out a stack of recent buys that included a decent-condition 78: Robert Johnson's "Terraplane Blues" on Vocalion and if my memory serves me right, "Kind Hearted Woman Blues" on the flip. He wanted $500 for it. I didn't have the cash but I could easily get it from an ATM.

Well I stood there and vacillated. Damn I wanted that record but I'd never paid that much for music, not even for a box set. I tried to bargain but the guy held up his hand. In the end I walked. Now you can't get a Robert Dusty for less than $4000-$5000

2. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

A brand new Mccartney DCC Gold CD. Saw it years and years ago in a shop. Had no idea what it was (thought it looked cool) and neither did the kid behind the counter. Walked around the store for a little bit to ponder whether to buy it and when I came back to get it it was gone. Never to be seen again. Where's a time machine when you need one?

3. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

King Crimson - Discipline tour. Stood in line for tix and after 10 minutes I just said screw it and split. What a dumb move!!! When Epic or Warners or whoever it was that released the 4 solo albums of the KISS members, we had a TON of them. Nobody bought them so we just started sticking 1 or 2 in customers' bags. Did I take any for myself? Nah.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's a keeper.

5. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Front row tickets to see the Police in Chicago circa 1982-1983... $50 per ticket while I was buying Billy Joel tickets...didn't have the money for both and I had promised my wife I would take her to the BJ concert...

6. Say

Say Forum Resident

^ and to think, that is when the Police were at their peak.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Woof - $50 a ticket was big money in that era! That had to be 4 to 5 times face value...

8. recordbulimic

recordbulimic Forum Resident

Miles Davis - The Greatest History 1955~1969 - Japanese 4-CD set 00DP 872~5, with OBI strip, for EUR 19.

I only left it because the slipcase was so dirty, like it had been smoked (see the pictures I took). Maybe I shouldn't have...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

jfeldt likes this.
  9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

the Instant Karma record store in Orleans, MA has a good vinyl section. Back in the 90s I held in my hand:
    Neil Young's Broken Arrow and Van's Down the Road. Both were around fifty bucks and outrageous! What a dope.

Also once passed up the Beatles "Thirty Days" box set for $150. Oy vey.

10. fatjedi

fatjedi Forum Resident

Yard Sale 1: A guy was letting a whole bunch of MFSL records go for really cheap, like $5 a pop, IIRC, that was long before I found this place. I had no idea what MFSL was and I basically was like "only grandpas buy these." Years later, I still don't have a turntable, but I would've made some decent money just selling those on ebay had I known better.
    Yard Sale 2: The guy must be moving because he was selling pretty much his entire CD collection. All 9 Led Zeppelin albums could be had for like $10, those were the ones came out in the 80s, not the remasters done in the 90s. I was like "let me think about it, I'll come back," when I did go back those were long gone.

11. The extensive Sandy Denny boxed set n CD(12 discs.) Didn't know how limited it was. Went back later and it was gone. Just didnt have the money and trying to be responsible with my credit card.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I preordered most of them...

13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Sadly they don't have that CD/Book sale at Jeff's Shed anymore Mylene. Nice to meet a fellow Melbourne music fan here.

Grissongs likes this.
  14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

How about deciding not to go to The Police at CBGB in their U.S. debut when you easily could have? That same week we were all going to see the Ramones there, this was well after they had graduated to larger theaters. Turned out to be the last time they played CBGB (I think). It was a great show, but I forever kick myself for missing The Police there. My consolation was seeing them at The Ritz a relatively small NYC ballroom that's now known as Webster Hall.

15. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Yeah, I was spending $30 a apiece on the BJ tickets to sit on the 12th row. It was an awesome show, even Christie showed up... but I will forever kick myself over those front row tickets!

[​IMG]

16. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I feel your pain.I still regret passing up a UK issue Let It Be box set in 1982 for $100.:shake:

17. EasterEverywhere

Never released in '68 with that cover.
    http://50licks.wordpress.com/2013/0...lbum-cover-controversy-extended-book-excerpt/
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-court-controversy-over-beggars-banquet-cover/

It was only released by ABKO in 1988 as a 20th anniversary digital rmaster.

18. EasterEverywhere

Had a similar experience in 1988 with two unplayed Elvis Sun 78s.

19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

20. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The memory of standing in my local Best Buy in the DVD-A section and thinking "why would I buy these when I own most of this stuff on CD already?"...Idiot! Lucky for me I did grab the Bowie's and Queen since they were my favorite artist's ever but oh, what could have been if I had just picked them all up!!!

21. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

You should never regret turning down an album because of condition. You shouldn't compromise your standards because the pressing would be desirable to you in better condition. If more people bought records with your mindset, we wouldn't see beat up Capitol pressings with a $50+ price tag. $14 may seem low but that is still too high for a beat up record. I wouldn't spend $14 for any record where condition is too poor. I wouldn't spend $.01 for a record in a condition I would be unwilling to have it in.

zmic, SpeakerLabFan and Adam9 like this.
  22. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Great song!!

23. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I caved and went back for used Talking Heads dualdisc Brick last night. $49.68 with sales tax. That works out to $6.21 per album.

Dave S and Tom34772 like this.
  24. richarm

richarm Senior Member

In 1972 I didn't buy Exile on Main Street or All things Must Pass because they were too expensive - regretted postponing my love of these two albums until later in life. I reckon if George had released a double album (ditching Apple Jam) he'd have reached an even bigger audience.

25. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

Lots of DCC and MFSL pressings both on vinyl and CD. Whenever I saw them at a record shop I took them in my hands, but had to put many of them back due to financial reasons. Among them were "Stand Up" and "Atom Heart Mother" on CD and "Thick As A Brick" and "Meddle" on vinyl. And I had to pass on the vinyl pressings of The Doors on DCC.
    I had to pay a good fortune during the last few years to get at least some of these on ebay.
    Then there are lots of vinyl releases during the 90s. These were regular pressings, but so limited in their editions that they are now unaffordable for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.