The "I almost bought it... but put it back (and regretted it)" thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkpotato, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I saw Yesterday & Today by a certain band last week. By doing some searching on the net- I found this to be a 1971 re-issue (it's on Apple - obviously not a 'butcher' - a paste-over; who knows? :D)
    Anyway, it was on my mind for days and I was pleased to see it still there today! Guess what happened next... :pineapple: I was 50/50 (for £15 - I thought; 'Hmm - I NEVER pay this much for an LP these days) - but he gave me a nice discount! :righton: I did actually have a look- twice and said 'I'm sooo bloody tempted!' So, was it the third or fourth time I submitted? :pleased:

I KNOW that I'd have regretted it as I've tried to put others to the back of my mind (though usually found them again sometime later.) I mean, I've never taken any interest in anything other than UK issues- but when I played the 'original' mixes of the unique Revolver tracks on here, it blew me away- especially the bass on On Your Bird Can Sing. It's worth it to me, for that alone. And it's only with the recent (re-)release of it on CD that made me think that if there was one that'd be nice to have (especially on vinyl) this is the one. So I'm glad I didn't let it go. I was surprised it was still there!

2. I once missed an opportunity to buy ALL the Beatles albums that Parlophone pressed in the UK for the USA market. They were not the early black-yellow Parlophone but the later black-silver labels. They had the CPCS catalogue numbers and they were all unplayed. The asking price was 10 euros each. To this day I am sad that I apparently had something better to do that day.....sigh.

3. Near mint Track label Electric Ladyland with the blue printing, for 90 pounds. Should have done it!

4. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Yes, Music 4 A Song. So, so many DCC discs at less than $10 a pop. I picked up a few jazz titles because I didn't have much of a jazz collection, but passed on buying "duplicates" of regular CDs that I already had - Venus & Mars, Straight Up, Ringo, The Cars. Sigh.

I thought I learned my lesson back in those days. Yet, last year when I saw a sealed copy of Ringo's Old Wave LP for $15 last year, I thought to myself that I'd pick it up "next time." Yeah, you can guess how that one ended.

TonyR likes this.
  5. Tombby

Tombby Forum Resident

As a boy, I visited Canada and saw the "Let It Be" box set. I pleaded with my dad to buy it, but no. I've never seen it again & think about it from time to time.

6. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I was at the HMV on Yonge street in Toronto with my family in 1993. I had Two's Missing on CD in my hands and realize I'm a dollar short. I ask my sister if she'd loan me a dollar. No dice, I was't happy. Look, I would have understood if it was $5 or $10 I was asking for but this was a dollar. I could have paid her back in a few days and we lived in Nova Scotia back then, it's not like we were near Toronto a lot at the time. I wound up getting The Who Sing My Generation on CD instead. It wasn't a pink faced copy but at least it was mono. I never saw another original CD of Two's Missing up close ever again. About ten years later I found a used copy on tape for $4. I usually bought vinyl and CDs by then but for this I was willing to make an exception.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Guns n' Roses Live Like a Suicide on Uzi Suicide. I saw it in 1986 in a record store in Texas. I'd never heard of GnR, but the cover intrigued me and I was curious about their cover of "Mama Kin." But, being a high school kid flipping burgers at the time, I didn't have the money to buy it. I told myself I'd be back on payday. I was, but it was gone. Never saw it again.

Found a minty copy in a record store two years ago... for $300.

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

If I did not get something then I really did not want it ! NO Regrets ! Move on !

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Not wanting to make you feel bad here but I got mine for $30 six months ago. A guy came in to my local with a bunch of CDs to sell and that box was in his pile of things to get rid of. Once he left I asked the manager how much? He said 6 CDs I'll let you have it for $30. I said Sold and walked out with it. :whistle:

10. cageyc

cageyc Forum Resident

There was a NM copy of The Coop's MFSL "Welcome To My Nightmare" on eBay for $40 a couple weeks back. When I came across it, I didn't realize its scarcity, and by the time I figured out how rare it was, it had sold.

11. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I have one. Such a great record

cageyc likes this.
  12. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

The only one I can remember was a niiiice copy of Dick Dale's 1965 live effort "Rock Out at Ciro's", Capitol Stereo copy, at a yard sale in the late 70's. All of 25 cents. But I didn't know enough about Mr. Dale at the time, so I pass, even for a quarter. Ask me if I've ever seen that album again.........:(

13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Vinyl copy of Pulp Fiction's soundtrack for a buck at the GW. I didn't want to buy just one lp (how stupid is that?). Went back the next day and it was gone. Have never seen another.

14. Grissongs

Grissongs Forum Resident

So it would be your desert island disc? If you were moroned on one? :p

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Weather Report - Black Market 35DP 130 mint.

It didn't really register the first time I saw it on ebay for £2.99. It was relisted and I thought I will bid for it later. Of course, when I decided to bid, two other people had seen it and the price rocketed to £20+.

I did once hold a John Cale's Music for a New Society CD in my hand for $8. Put it back and waited 10 years before finding another used copy.

16. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Another Abbey Road black triangle story. 1985 in Evanston, whatever record store was at the corner of Maple and Davis. My memory was that it was either $20 or $25 and, sadly, I was a completely penniless 19 year old. So I guess I didn't put it back as much as I never considered it.

A little over a year later - then taking home $149 a week working at a bookstore in Woodland Hills, CA - I paid $100 for one and have never regretted it. By far the most expensive CD or record (when looking at percentage of income) I've ever bought.

17. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Not Lame Jellyfish boxed set. I have a copy, but really wanted that original.

Also, the hardbound book edition of Kevin Gilbert's The Shaming of the True.

18. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Too many to list....

19. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

In 1983 or 1984 I had a Holland LP pressing of Abbey Road on which "Her Majesty" was missing! Honestly there was nothing after "The End". Back then I felt this wasn't okay so I sold it next to nothing in order to get me a complete LP :crazy:. To this day I never heard of another copy with this "mistake" and I sometimes wonder what people might be willing to pay... (The album came as part of the blue "Collection" box set)

20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

HA!
    How much time do you have?

Arkay_East and audiomixer like this.
  21. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

1986: I have $20 that I really shouldn't be spending on music. I have Sonic Youth's The Walls Have Ears, in my hands. After much consideration, I decide that $20 for a bootleg of completely unknown quality is too much of a risk, and I get EVOL and I Often Dream of Trains instead. Now these are both fine albums that any sane person should be happy to own, but I've never seen either of them on a record store wall for $100.

Dave S likes this.
  22. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

A couple of sheets of stationary from the New York office of Apple Records, about 25 years ago, it was that expensive with hindsight - maybe like $10 for a sheet but would've be a cool memento.

23. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

Thriller on SACD at a Best Buy in Asheville, NC circa 2006.

Several CCR SACD titles at J&R Music in NYC circa 2011.

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I still think back to standing in front of the SACD section at our local Silver Platters, when it used to take up two full 4 foot sections, and carefully selecting just one title each visit in order to keep spending down.

The stuff I passed on because it would be there next time.....CCR, Cyndi Lauper, Peter Gabriel...

25. You guys never thought to ask the store to hold them with a desposit down? I had a store that would let me do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.