The "I LOVE Juliana Hatfield" (and she has a new album) thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricebear, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

So stoked for this. Two songs leaked, two hits. I haven't gone to a concert in years, but I might drag my **s out to the Bowery on March 1st.

2. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

"Invisible" is a pretty cool jangle-pop song. One of the more immediate website downloads, if I remember correctly, haven't played it for awhile. I remember the hook, so there was something cool going on!

And the HTWA demo disc info is here: http://www.discogs.com/Juliana-Hatfield-How-To-Walk-Away-Demos/release/2563718

I didn't play it too often, but it was a neat insight into her process for that album, one of the last really polished albums she'd make for awhile.

Byrdman77 likes this.
  3. marc with a c

Wish You Were Upstairs - Get There
    Dog On a Chain - Wild Animals
    Bad Moon Rising - JH
    There's Always Another Girl (or Batteries, very hard choice) - Always Another Girl
    Dear Anonymous - Peace and Love
    Just Lust - How To Walk Away
    364 - Sittin in a Tree EP
    He's On Drugs Again - Crushing Love
    What Do I Care - Made In China
    Almost True - Feel It
    Sunshine - Exile Deo
    Disappear - God Bless The Blake Babies
    Table For One - Gold Stars
    The Victim - Total System Failure
    Cry In The Dark - Beautiful Creature
    You Are The Camera - Bed
    As If Your Life Depended On It - Please Do Not Disturb
    Bottles & Flowers - Only Everything
    Little Pieces - Become What You Are
    Forever Baby - Hey Babe
    Out There - Sunburn
    Temptation Eyes - Rosy Jack World
    Take Your Head Off My Shoulder - Earwig
    Wipe It Up - Nicely Nicely

Probably forgot a few releases, but wow, what a stellar catalog when you really think it through.

Byrdman77 likes this.
  4. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Oh man I need to get this! I think Juliana is best unpolished but that album had some really strong songs. Does it compare with Wild Animals and Peace and Love for production? IMHO they are her best records.

marc with a c likes this.
  5. marc with a c

In a way, yes, except each song has a drum machine that doesn't deviate much underneath, if memory serves. Haven't played it for a while. Really cool, essential to my collection, but not essential enough that I play it terribly often, if that makes sense?

6. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Ok So I just pledged for the Gods Foot Demos - how do I download the songs??? Confused!

7. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

If you go to her JH3 pledge music page, and log in, look at the upper menu row. The last item over to the right will be "downloads". You should see a (1) after that. Click on "downloads", and the God's Foot download page comes up. You can then either download the whole album, or the songs one by one.

Good luck, Jim! This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds...

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any word on vinyl?

9. SoundAdvice

10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Strange that so many songs are old tunes; maybe she's not writing much these days, or she felt the songs deserved a wider audience.

1. Invisible - demo available as download 10 years ago
    2. Now That I Have Found You - demo available as download 10 years ago
    3. Ordinary Guy - demo available as download 10 years ago
    4. If Only We Were Dogs - a version released on the "Sittin' In A Tree" EP
    5. I'm Shy - demo available as download 10 years ago
    6. Dog On A Chain
    7. If I Could - demo available as download 10 years ago
    8. Push Pin
    9. Blame The Stylist
    10. I Don't Know What To Do With My Hands - a version released on the Minor Alps album
    11. Wood
    12. Parking Lots

That leaves 5 "new" songs. Great to see the classic band back, nevertheless!

11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Just had a listen to her album from a couple a years ago, Wild Animals.

1. Invisible - demo available as download 10 years ago
    2. Now That I Have Found You - demo available as download 10 years ago
    3. Ordinary Guy - demo available as download 10 years ago
    4. If Only We Were Dogs - a version released on the Sittin' In A Tree EP
    5. I'm Shy - demo available as download 10 years ago
    6. Dog On A Chain - a version released on the Wild Animals album
    7. If I Could - demo available as download 10 years ago
    8. Push Pin - a version released on the Wild Animals album
    9. Blame The Stylist
    10. I Don't Know What To Do With My Hands
    - a version released on the Minor Alps album
    11. Wood
    12. Parking Lots
    - a version released on the Animals album

That leaves only 2 "new" songs.

12. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Pledged for the download of god's foot and new album as downloads. Turns out the downloads are 320 kbits mp3:s... What a massive disappointment. Wouldn't have pledged if i knew.

13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Just finished listening to the new album. I like it, though was surprised to see how many of the songs were remakes. Still, they were well done and she still sounds great. The two new songs were cool too, especially "Wood".

If anything, I wish she'd re-record more of the songs she had for download. I'd really love to hear her revisit "Perfect Stranger" and "Better than Nothing".

14. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

I was told by one of the Pledge Music folks that there would be lossless files available. If they're not posted soon I will definitely contact him to find out what's going on.

15. marc with a c

Two listens in. I like it, but it's also rather uneven. Being so familiar with all of the earlier incarnations wasn't good for me, because it made the album feel incredibly "patchwork".

That being said, it's pretty good, and I hope as it ages, I can appreciate it as a piece rather than the odds and ends collection that it feels like. Favorite track is the new version of "Dog On a Chain".

16. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Thx. Maybe they will post lossless files when the CD is released. Early next week i think.

Listened to the album once and find it a bit bland. Hopefully it grows with a couple of more listens.

17. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Well I think it sounds great and was quite happy with 320 kbps as I will no doubt pick up the CD anyway at some point. I pledged to get the demos which I thought were pretty good actually - especially considering the source was a cassette tape.

The album is a bit Frankenstein for us hardcore fans but I guess for those who only ever bought Become What You Are that won't matter. I like the production overall, the drumming is very solid - can't say any basslines stood out for me yet.

I thought the two 'new' songs were the weakest - but not bad, I prefer this new version of If Only We Were Dogs and I think I prefer the I Don't Know What To Do With My Hands version - wonder why she re-did that one?

Wild Animals is one of my favourite albums by JH and all of the remakes are solid here - though very similar. Overall a solid album, similar in approach to God Bless The Blake Babies I guess - a fun rock n roll record.

18. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

FLAC files now up to download!

19. BrewDrinkRepeat

Someone noted that track 10 is missing from the FLAC .zip file, and when I tried to download it just now it got about halfway and failed. I guess they're updating it... I hope!

20. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Agree about God's Foot. Sounds very good for being lifted off an old cassette that was a copy of a copy of something else! And sounds more pre production than demos too. Like really finished songs. Musically the missing link between Only Everything and Bed and intresting becuase of that if nothing else! Hadn't heard the leaked "real" recordings so this was a big bonus for me.

Have given the new one a couple of more playthroughs and it does grow! Not a big fan of the production though, mp3 or not. Hope the flac-files will sound better.

21. SoundAdvice

22. SoundAdvice

23. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Yeah, the video's kind of funny.

The more I listen to the new album, the more I'm digging it.

24. BrewDrinkRepeat

Just noticed the first Philly show sold out, so they added a second night. Anyone going?

25. SoundAdvice

• Supermodel
    • My Sister
    • This Is The Sound
    • For The Birds
    • Mabel
    • A Dame With A Rod
    • Addicted
    • Feelin' Massachusetts
    • Spin The Bottle
    • President Garfield
    • Little Pieces
    • I Got No Idols
    • What A Life
    • Fleur de Lys
    • Everybody Loves Me But You
    • I'm Shy
    • Ordinary Guy
    • Push Pin
    • Wood
    • Dumb Fun
    • Nirvana (Solo Encore)
    The 3 songs in the middle of the setlist have my jaw on the floor. Maybe I should see both Northwest shows....