The Ideal Let It Be

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Far too much money still to be made from this album for it not to be. It will happen.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The ideal Let it be is the original Let it be-love it

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

• It sounds right the way it was originally released because . . . . well, that’s the way it was originally released. The Glyn Johns acetates have been heard by everyone, and they are interesting for what they are. But the original is iconic, and Spector created a version that, sometimes for good reasons, sometime for bad, everyone remembers. It’s the album everyone knows, from the “I dig a Pygmy” opening, to hoping they passed the audition. One could make an argument for including “Don’t Let Me Down”, given its importance in the film, but it’s in the film and on the single, so does it really matter?

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Everyone should be owning a copy of both Past Masters Volumes as they're essential to The Beatles' collection, but we didn't have that for decades. And music being included on a film is far less convenient than having it on a dedicated music format.

Gila likes this.
  5. Gavman

Gavman Forum Resident

My idea for an affordable simple Let It Be deluxe edition :

disc 1- Let it Be (2009 remaster)
    disc 2- Let it be...Naked (Same re-mastered source as used for the 'Mastered For Itunes', not the original mastering) with 'Let It Be (single mix)' and it's b-side 'You know my name.. ' and 'Don't let me down' as bonus tracks.
    *disc 3- Let it be movie finally released on either Blu-Ray or dvd.

With a nice booklet with liner notes.

Maybe the above with the music also included on vinyl (2 lps with replica 7" singles too) in a nice looking box as a pricier super deluxe edition?

* Let's be honest, the movie is unlikely to see the light of day?

6. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Why do people dislike the original album version of Long and Winding Road? In my opinion, the orchestration makes the song perfect. It would be lost without it.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I drop "Maggie" and "Dig It", replace them with "Dont Let Me Down". Much better. I also prefer to lose the "comedy" between songs.

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Let It Be Deluxe Edition -
    Disc 1 Let It Be (as released in 1970)
    Disc 2 Get Back (Original Glynn Johns Mix)
    Disc 3 Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, Let It Be (singles) plus entire rooftop concert.
    Disc 4 highlights from Twickenham
    Disc 5 Highlights from Apple Studios

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I love the Past Masters volumes for giving people a chance to hear those tracks in the manner they were intended to be heard - mono. But, I like them even more in the original single format (vinyl or CD) in which Lady Madonna goes with the Inner Light and Paperback Writer is paired with Rain, etc. or, in the original EP format, Long Tall Sally being my favorite, with the mono Magical Mystery Tour not far behind.

I prefer original releases, because I remember them and they have meaning to me. I realize some don’t think it’s important. I agree that singles and ep’s are inconvenient. In fact, all physical media is a bit inconvenient. It depends on whether you think original releases have any special historical, cultural or artistic value.

10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Disc 6 Remastered film

Colocally likes this.
  11. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Your own assortment of tracks to make your ideal version

Hep Alien, Gila and Mr. D like this.
  12. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I'd rather just have 45 minutes of "Taking A Trip to Carolina", myself. I've been waiting for ages to find out what happens next!

Hep Alien, jmxw and gogators1 like this.
  13. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I like the versions on your blog!

soniclovenoize likes this.
  14. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

I prefer the original release with all its foibles. Although my favourite version of Dig A Pony and I’ve Got A Feeling are on the tape I have that Glynn Johns cut out on May 29th, 1969. Love tape!!!!

15. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The original album but replace 'Dig It' & 'Maggie Mae' with 'Don't Let Me Down.'

16. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

[​IMG]

.. In Giles We Trust ..
    ;)

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One that came out in 1970, UK LP slipcase cover, box came enclosed with big glossy book with amazing photos, music wasn't bad as well.

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Huh? Aren't all Past Masters in stereo besides the few singles only ever mastered in mono? Or am I mistaken?
    Are you thinking of the Mono Masters from the mono boxset?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Naked.

Is there any love for the Glynn John's version?

steve_miller likes this.
  20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

What is this Glynn John's version I'm hearing about and where can I find it?

21. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

Totally agree with your picks, especially how great the guitar solo is on the original Let it Be, also how the orchestration needs to be gone on the Long and Winding Road (super cheesy and unnecessary imo).
    My personal favorite is the original versions of the planned "Get Back" album, but those cannot be found all together in an official release.

22. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I do like your concept and version, but have always thought that the rooftop concert should be on side two.

Hep Alien and guppy270 like this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the original. I bought the hype that spector ruined the album but after listening to Naked.....nope. that crazy bastard did a pretty good job

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes I was thinking of mono masters. I’m not sure how Past Masters helped, but I have every UK release. Perhaps for people who only had CD’s?

25. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

More seriously: I actually heard ...Naked before I heard the original, though I knew the songs that were on 1967-1970 aka Blue quite well, and heard "I've Got a Feeling" and "Dig a Pony" somewhere along the way too. So that's shaped the album as I know it, I suppose.

I have no attachment to the skits on the original and generally favor the mixes on Naked, but I have a strong preference for the version of "Across the Universe" on Blue (don't remember if it's exactly the same as the original album), choir and all. Neutral on the title track -- I didn't mind the Spectorization -- but definitely prefer the naked mix of "The Long and Winding Road".

Meanwhile I never really took notice of "Don't Let Me Down" until I heard Naked and it clicked. The prominent harmony vocals on the chorus make all the difference for me; are those absent on Blue? They felt new to me when I first heard Naked.

BTW I really do wish Ringo would finish and record "Taking a Trip to Carolina" (not for 45 minutes though). Those few bars are the most Ringo-archetypical thing I've ever heard.

Hep Alien, Lewisboogie and guppy270 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.