SH Spotlight "The Immortal Voice" 1923 silent film on how phonograph records are made.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Marvelous clips! I am still in awe of these early acoustic recordings. How such a rather crude method ( by today's standards) can reproduce results with remarkable clarity of the prominent voice such as the marvelous Rosa Ponselle piece. Some of late 1910s Edison recordings of Rachmaninov are incredible considering the method. The contrasting samples of the Hot5s with and w/o microphone is jarring

2. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that! Great stuff.

This great picture (courtesy SHORPY) shows a Victor display from 1921. Imagine how many records you had to buy to listen to Wagner's Ring Cycle!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That was FANTASTIC, watched the entire thing, twice.

What made it so amazing was to see the actual three-ply process being made. Columbia records didn't break like other companies because of that center core, that's why so many still survive from the 1920's on. In fact, they used that same process throughout the 1930s and 40s, way up until plastic was used in the 1950s.

Hard to believe that in just two years the bottom would fall out of the record industry thanks to the depression. Columbia struggled along, changing the wax color to BLUE, hoping that would increase sales but it really didn't. The "new" Columbia in 1938 came along and became a major player in the industry but the old Columbia had some of the greatest records and the QUIETEST surface records ever made.

In 1934 Jack Kapp formed American Decca and lowered the price of a single record to 35 cents, other companies did the same and (thanks mainly to the new Swing Era) the business was saved.

Please note: Stravinsky conducts “Petroushka” with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra is what you see being recorded there. Fantastic for me, I have the actual recording on an original 1928 pressing. So great to see it actually being recorded. What are the odds of that?

Thanks for posting!

6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Thanks all!

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah i thought it was an amazing piece of footage i found by mistake. isn't it wonderful!!??!!!
    Just astonishing to have this documented and still shared. Thanks goes out to the youtuber who
    posted it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.