The importance of Brian Jones (?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdinaBob, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a fringe fan of the Stones and their music - I've always wondered what significance Jones brought to the group.
    Singing? Musicianship? Creativity?
    I remember reading, that early on - he had fancied himself as the leader of the Stones.

opinions?
    any help would be appreciated.

2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I'm not a huge Stones fan but that original grouping with Brian is really all I like and want to listen to. I think his musicianship is vastly underrated and it's what gave the Stones their classic early sound.

3. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

He brought them together.

4. oldsiamsir

oldsiamsir Forum Resident

He died, they met Mick Taylor, and they were then able to become the best rock and roll band of all time.

5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

He was the best multi-instrumentalist in the history of the band. Unfortunately, he was also a tortured soul and that interfered with his creativity.

6. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

He was the keeper of the fairy dust, the magic. He had a fantastic talent for colouring in the music. Without him they morphed quite quickly into a pretty one-dimensional rackinrawl band- never again were they the innovative band snapping at the Beatles' heels.

I get the impression he couldn't cope with fame and self-medicated his creativity out of existence.

And ABKCO don't go out of their way to promote those 60s albums that showcase his gift. Where are the expanded/remastered editions?

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we'll never know just talented jones was.

had he lived would there have been a glimmer twins, or would it be a glimmer trio?

would it have been jagger/jones rather than jagger/richards?

in what direction would the band have gone: ever hear the pipes of pan?

Classicolin, junk, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  8. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

I'd suggest reading the book Sympathy for the Devil by Paul Trynka. He gives an interesting view that balances out the Mick Jagger/Keith Richards version. It's a convincing read, simply because he has been downplayed so much as a key element.

To be honest he seems to have been a vital early influence but increasingly marginalised by people like Oldham and Jagger (in a band that could be ruthless in its behaviour) and by his very own nature which was I'd suggest was as a talented ****.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree with this. With Brian, the Stones music was much more colorful than what followed. As a result, this is generally the era of the band I find most interesting...

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Exactly. No Brian no Stones.

11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

The Jones-era is my favourite Stones period. Early on his guitar/harmonica contributions are really important but as they moved away from the derivative r'n'b into their own thing (early 65?) he begins adding other touches such as dulcimer,mellotron and a whole bunch of other stuff. Mick and Keith were writing some great songs (mostly) and really found themselves and their "real" group identity after the LSD psych splurge of 67. Unfortunately this coincided with Brian going to pieces as his drug use began to seriously impact his ability and willingness to contribute. I think Mick and Keith wanted something of a return to the 2 guitar thing and BJ wasn't very interested in that. He clearly had some significant personal problems, some self-inflicted.
    While (obviously) i didn't know him personally, enough people have suggested that he could be a seriously nasty piece of work ...look at the trail of babies and beaten up women he left behind him and i get the impression that he was an extremely talented a++hole. Maybe he had something like Aspergers, maybe he was just a git. Other people (George Harrison for example) said he was a nice bloke. Maybe he behaved with a Beatle. John and Paul both said he was nice too until he got messed up and paranoid.
    I would not be at all surprised if his death was the result of him pissing off the wrong people one too many times.
    Ultimately though, he started the band, named it and made significant contributions - that slide on I Wanna Be Your Man is outrageous. Without Brian Jones, there would be no Rolling Stones.
    That's a pretty good thing to be remembered for and he will be remembered for a very long time.
    ABKCO need to sort the unreleased back catalogue out...especially the 1964 Radio Luxembourg acetate owned by Bill Wyman.

Octowen, Wuther, Tommyboy and 14 others like this.
  12. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Brian was key to the early sound. He almost gets the shaft, not exactly in a pete best sort of way, but more so in Syd way. Brian's contributions, musically, metaphysically, and spiritually cannot be understated or brushed aside(like mr best). the band would never had existed without JOnes.

Octowen, andrewskyDE, Ophelia and 8 others like this.
  13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The founder and, early on, a focal point of the band. Look at many of the early photos of the group- Jones is often front and center, or at least the element that catches the eye.

Brian brought a sophistication and musicianship to the group that the others couldn't equal. He was intelligent and witty and could interact with the press while the others seemed to like to cultivate their outlaw image.

They wouldn't have quite achieved what they did without him. He helped lay the foundation for their success.

14. old school

old school Senior Member

Brian Jones was the Rolling Stones! When he left the band was never the same again. In 1969 when Mick Taylor came into the fold he made the Stones a
    exciting band again with his awesome fluid guitar playing. But I missed the colouring of the music that Brian gave the Stones and the Stones never got that part back again without Brian Jones in my opinion.

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"While Brian’s musical prowess didn’t extend to composing, his extraordinary and versatile talent as a musician is found on all his recordings with the Stones, among them, his slide guitar on “I’m a King Bee”, “Little Red Rooster” and “No Expectations” from Beggars Banquet. He plays the sitar on “Street Fighting Man” and “Paint It Black”, organ on “Let’s Spend The Night Together”, marimba on “Under My Thumb” and “Out Of Time” recorder on “Ruby Tuesday”, dulcimer and harpsichord on “Lady Jane”, saxophone and oboe on “Dandelion”, mellotron on “She’s a Rainbow”, and harmonica on “Not Fade Away”, “2120 South Michigan Avenue” and “Prodigal Son”."
    http://www.rollingstones.com/artist/brian-jones/

16. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

pretty spot on.

You may become a huge stones fan if you look past Brian Jones as that's where things really got good.

17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

"The Importance of Being Brian Jones"
    [​IMG]
    In this scene, Brian has his snuffbox confiscated by a friendly intervention.

18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Brian was the heart of the early Stones, there should be no 'question mark' at the end of the title of this thread, he's important, period.

They were never as good without him.

19. World music pioneer as well. The Joujouka album is amazing. Brian's field recordings of the master musicians are a very important part of his legacy.

20. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

When you watch the early footage of the band he was far more out front on stage than Keef. He was stiff competition for teen adulation for Mick. I wonder how much friction that caused? I agree with other posters who state his importance in the early Stones. He was a talented musician who may not have written much (if any) of the Stones early work, but influenced it all.

CCrider92 and Cyberhog9 like this.
  21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Also slide guitar on "I Can't Be Satisfied" and "Doncha Bother Me"...harmonica on "Little Red Rooster", "I Just Wanna Make Love To You", "Goin' Home", "Dear Doctor" and "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man"...saxophone on "Child Of The Moon" and mellotron on "Jigsaw Puzzle", "Stray Cat Blues" and "We Love You".

There's probably more to add but I've just woken up!

22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've looked beyond the Jones era many times, and I just don't like it. If I hadn't done this I would not have made the statement that I did.

23. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I love the Jones era and the Taylor era...in my opinion it's the Ronnie Wood era when the standard drops.

24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Don't forget his huge contribution to "Satanic Majesties Request" - even if you don't like the album, his work on 2000 Light Years From Home is a masterclass in the Mellotron. I'd even say he saved that album from total disaster.

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

In my mind there are/were three Rolling Stones bands.

1. Brian Jones era : fantastic, many creative peaks, great different styles, with amazing textures added by Brian
    2. Mick Taylor era: fantastic in a different way. The best "band" , harder edge to the band , great Mick Taylor guitar playing
    3: Ron Wood era : workman like records, still good live shows. Least important of the three bands though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.