The Infinity Black Widow Tone Arm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

post photo to photobucket, then link it from there.

2. coltlacey1

thanks for all the info guys. I just picked up a BW and a custom solid oak armboard for my sl1100a. I am quite excited to get it all put together. I think I am going to experiment with the dampening. perhaps test without fluid and then with fluid to see if I notice any differences, printed up a Lofgren A protractor aswell so when it gets here I should be able to cut the board and get it done fairly easily.

3. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Looking to replace a B&O MMC 20CL on my Black Widow. The diamond stylus came loose, and because the stylus is integrated with the cartridge, you can't just replace the stylus. I could get it retipped by a guy in Germany, and I may do that, but what modern cartridges (i.e. still being produced) are good matches for the BW? I think it would need to be high compliance and low mass. Any other BW users out there using a modern cartridge?

4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

The Shure M97XE would be a good match.

5. coltlacey1

I use an AT150MLX

[​IMG]

nm_west likes this.
  6. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

You did some very nice photography, beautiful set up!

7. coltlacey1

Thanks, just with my phone Haha. I do love the look of this arm. Very elegant imo. Sounds much better than the stock arm also.

8. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

:righton:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aftermath and coltlacey1 like this.
  9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

SoundSmith retips B&O carts as well. Not as far away as Germany.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

i still want one

11. marigoldilemma

Do you run this BW/m97xE combination? If so, do you have the Jico SAS upgrade?

12. marigoldilemma

Thanks for the lead. It would appear the cost to retip is more than a "new old stock" mmc20cl on eBay. So, it doesn't make much sense to retip it.

13. marigoldilemma

Well, while I'm waiting on a quote from a guy in Germany to retip the MMC20CL, I picked up an ADC XLM MKII from an auction site. It has the OEM stylus. We'll see how it sounds relative to the B&O.

14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I believe the mass of the BW arm is perfect for a Sonus Gold Blue. I'd like to hear that combo.

15. Kjack48230

Kjack48230 New Member

Soooooo? How did the ADC sound?

Also, I'd like to thank every that participated in this thread! So much information and ideas. I happen to have 2 BW's, one is the first version with the aluminum shaft and the other is version 3 with the single tapered graphite shaft. I was trying to decide which to keep and thankfully I came across this thread. I'm going to put the first up for sale and keep the third. Now I'm trying to figure out which turntable to put it on. There is the Thorens TD 160 Super, the Luxman 121 and then there's the Thorens TD 124 mk II. I also have a SME 3009 Series II Improved, a SME 3009 Series II Improved, oh and a SME 3009 Series III. I just might make a two arm plinth for the TD124 mk II.

16. Kjack48230

Kjack48230 New Member

Meant to say one unimproved and one improved.

17. marigoldilemma

Sounds good. Perhaps more low end than the B&O MMC 20CL, but not as detailed. Horses for courses, I suppose.

18. Jerry Prasetyo

Jerry Prasetyo Member

Hello
    Happy to meet you all,

I use Thorens TD-125 MK-I with Infinity Black Widow tonearm.
    I wanto ask : How to set overhang of the cartridge, since the hole of cartridge screws does not adjustable
    Thank you

19. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

You can only adjust from the base of the arm. Loosen the set ring and adjust accordingly.
    I don't know what the overhang is, but my cartridge is square to both alignment marks.

[​IMG]

20. Jerry Prasetyo

Jerry Prasetyo Member

Many thanks for your kind answer, I think, because old cartridge (Shure M95ED) has alignment well, so when I use new cartridge (Rega Carbon) no need to adjust overhang from the bottom of the IBW I think,

Hi, what's cartridge do you use?
    Do the Rega Carbon match with IBW Tonearm ?

The simple specification of the cartridge as follows :

• Output: 2.5mV at 1kHz
    • Stylus: User replaceable.
    • Fixing: Standard, two screws
    • Cantilever: Carbon
    • Colour: Black/White
    • Tracking Pressure 2-3g

21. Phil Perri 2018

Phil Perri 2018 New Member

I was reading through this older thread about the Infinity Black Widow tone arms people have. I've got the first version of the Carbon fiber tone arm mated with a Micro Acoustics 2002e cartridge and mounted on a Fairchild 412 1A turntable. My tonearm needs new internal wires, because the insulation wrap is fabric and it decomposed, which allows the bare inner wires to touch. Not a good idea. I was able to find the same type of replacement wires with the fabric wrap. They're the best because they're more flexible than poly covered wires. Good luck with your tone arms.

22. Phil Perri 2018

Phil Perri 2018 New Member

With the Micro Acoustics 2002e cartridge, you can adjust at the cartridge as well. That cartridge has oval slots in the cartridge instead of just holes. It's an amazing cartridge, but MA is no longer in business, so it's very hard to find functioning cartridges these days. My original cartridge stylus was damaged by my college roommates and a replacement stylus was not available, so I was fortunate to find a NOS 2002e. Not cheap. The Black Widow is a great arm.

nm_west likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.