The insane ‘Happening’ Salvador Dalí wanted to do for Aphrodite’s Child in 1972 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by delmonaco, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Man, that Dali cat was seriously wigged out! Awesome story.

delmonaco likes this.
  3. delmonaco

There's also some interesting additional info in the commentaries beyond the article.

action pact likes this.
  4. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Wacky! The desription of the event sounds exactly like one of his paintings - and may have been brilliant as such. :)

delmonaco likes this.
  5. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Way to go, Dali...

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was stunned by the article's apparent claim that 666 sold "20 million copies." I followed the links and the original article actually claims that Aphrodite's Child as a group sold 20 million albums in 5 years. However, this still seems hilariously over-inflated to me.

Dali's "event plan" was so nuts I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

7. delmonaco

I don't think that they sold so many albums, possibly this is their total sales figure (singles, EPs and albums). Anyway, this is not so important - their contract with Philips back then was so unfair, that even if they sold billions, they didn't gain a single coin from the recording sales. This is the main reason that, despite being very successful, they split after just 3 years of existence.

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Me too. The group only released three proper albums; even if you count 666 as two, that would average out to 5 million per album, which would have been absolutely massive for a group which was largely unknown outside of Europe. 20 million records is a bit more plausible ("Rain and Tears" was a big hit in Europe), but 20 million albums seems completely off the mark.

Wikipedia also claims 20 million albums, but the citation is an article originally from an Italian newspaper on the elsew.com fan site. I think something got lost in translation.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. delmonaco likes this.
  10. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

11. dkmonroe

Yeah, my understanding was that "Rain And Tears" was a huge hit, and "End Of The World", "It's Five O'Clock" and "Break" were all respectably successful, but I'd think that even if each of those singles sold a million, it would have been a staggering success.

It's a shame about their Phillips contract - so many really outstanding bands got so screwed in the 60's.

12. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

And '70s... and '80s... and... well, you get the idea.

Chris DeVoe and dkmonroe like this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

There's a thin line between genius and psychosis. Some people walk that line. Dali crossed it.

14. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

People also should remember that Dali had a sense of humor...

delmonaco likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

Oh yeah, but the 60's (and probably 50's as well) were especially egregious. So many young musicians with no clue.

16. dkmonroe

Dali built a home on the line and then built a vacation home in Psychosis! :laugh:

skisdlimit, Folknik and delmonaco like this.
  17. dkmonroe

Yeah, he was probably kind of trolling - "Let's see just how much of this these guys will fall for..." :evil:

18. delmonaco

Of course no one can tell the exact sales figures, but they did sell quite well, because despite the lack of royalties from the record sales, Vangelis, as the main author of the music, refused to go on live performances just one year after they started, because the money he received only from the songwriting credits were enough for him to live quite well in Paris and to spend most of his time experimenting in the studio. The other two members, Demis Roussos and Lukas Sideras, toured on the name of Aphrodite's Child for some time (because this was their only income), and at some point Roussos just decided take the risk and to go for a solo carrier, in order to make some money, and this was the end of Aphrodite's Child.

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

I understand Roussos still performs AC hits, which is very cool.

20. delmonaco

Yes, he do, but sadly in the last few years he's in very bad health and voice shape. He actually re-recorded all AC hits in 1987 - they sound quite different from the originals, some are good, some not so.

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. I love AC, the debut and 666 are two of the greatest Rock albums not from the UK or the States.

Platterpus, dkmonroe and delmonaco like this.
  22. dkmonroe

I was listening to End Of The World today on the train while reading the Iliad. :laugh: It just kinda worked out that way. Fantastic album, it's the soundtrack of my summer this year.

delmonaco and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  23. Not one duff track on that Album..."Valley of Sadness" is a personal fave.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Interesting article. I'm a fan of both Aphrodite's Child and Dali.

25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Slow motion live exploding swans?
    I think I saw that at a Suzanne Vega concert once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.