The Iron Giant: Signature Edition getting a Blu-ray release!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrewHarris, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you can't make it to the special theatrical showings on September 30th or October 4th (I can't because we Alaskans get left out of all the cool stuff), you can still see if the new scenes will do this classic justice as a fall Blu-ray release was announced yesterday, the same time a trailer was revealed.

PhantomStranger and jriems like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What a great movie. I've only seen it a couple of times, but I found if very affecting and extremely well-done: a great take on the 1950s commie/sci-fi/flying-saucer fad. There's more heart in this film that the last half-dozen Dreamworks films combined.

3. DrewHarris

You mentioning the last couple of Dreamworks animated films makes me more hopeful that KFP 3 doesn't suck.

4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Just recently finally got around to watching this, and it was pretty great. More affecting than most modern animated films, and frankly more interesting to me than Bird's later animated films (I admit I may be the only one who was put to sleep by "The Incredibles", and I was rather "meh" about "Ratatouille.")

For some reason, I think most of these animated films, from now going all the way back to early Disney, affect me and move me more when the characters are anthropomorphized animals (or robots, or something along those lines). When it's actual human characters, they often end up more grating and somehow more unrealistic (just recently watched "Home", where Jim Parsons gave a good performance as the alien, but the 12-year-old girl, voiced by Rihanna, came across, as one review put it, as a "chain smoking, raspy-voiced 27-year-old"). An exception would be things like the Studio Ghibli films I've seen; they have such a different tone that the human characters are usually interesting.

In any event, I'm going to try to make it to one of the "Iron Giant" theatrical screenings.

We enjoyed watching the film a week or two ago so much that we actually shelled out the money for this thing:

[​IMG]

jriems likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Amen, brother! One of the rare movies I will actually watch repeatedly, and don't get tired of

Comet01 likes this.
  6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Great film and we own the DVD and the 20" plastic Iron Giant replica. He even talks.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Good news. I had the book when I was little.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

10. DrewHarris

longdist01 and Deuce66 like this.
  11. The collector's edition does look cool.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's the review from Blu-Ray.com - very highly recommended.

The Iron Giant Blu-ray »

The Iron Giant has been long awaited on Blu-ray, but the wait was worth it. Warner has delivered an impressive package that provides both the director's preferred version of the film and the original cut that has attracted such a loyal following in the years since Iron Giant died at the box office. The new extras are some of the best I have seen in recent years. Very highly recommended.

Comet01, SamS, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  13. SamS likes this.
  14. DrewHarris

Guess I'll be giving away my old 2003 DVD soon.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The disc-only version is currently available on Amazon for $9.99! It appears to have the exact same content as the Collector's Edition, minus the Ultraviolet digital download.

That, my friends, is a bargain. Ordered.

Galley and longdist01 like this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I rented this from the library a couple months ago and really enjoyed it.

First time I had ever seen it.

Will have to check out the blu-ray.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Watched the Director's cut last night - the film looks and sounds fantastic :righton::righton:.

longdist01 and jriems like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.