The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Will do, as I do enjoy Sanchez's playing almost as much as Zenon's (and now I'm reading about the album and seeing guitarist Lage Lund is on board, so it's an even higher priority - he's become a favorite - thanks for the tip).

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

George Russell Sextet - Stratusphunk (Riverside) OJC stereo pressing.

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I haven't kept up with him recently but back in the 1990s I was buying and listening to his music frequently. Not sure why I stopped. I'm sure he's still doing great work.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks. I think the last thing I bought was Obsession in 1998. I'm a little behind. :eek:

NP Bobby Hitcherson - In The Vanguard (Landmark)
    W/Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Al Foster from 1986.

charlesp, ronfint and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1991 OJC reissue of an album of Johnny Mandel tunes originally issued on Riverside. Perkins (ts, bs, bcl, fl), Feldman (p, org, vb), John Pisano (g), Red Mitchell (b) & Larry Bunker (d).
    Recorded at Original Sound Studios, L.A., 11/23,28,30/66. Producer: Ed Michel. Engineer: Paul Buff. Remastering: Phil De Lancie.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Marzz, DrJ, ronfint and 2 others like this.
  6. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I have this version of "Blue Trane" Classic DAD as well...maybe the best digital version I've heard alongside the older MoFi!

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    In honor of Rio. Fischer (p,org) , Dennis Budimir (g), Bob West (b) & Colin Bailey (d). All tunes by Antonio Carlos Jobim or Fischer. Recorded 12/64, World-Pacific Studios, Hollywood. Producer & engineer: Richard Bock. 2010 Japanese reissue of WP-1830.

DrJ, AlecA, Chriss Ons and 2 others like this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    In honor of Detroit. Jones (tp), Billy Mitchell (ts), Kenny Burrell (g), Tommy Flanagan (p), Oscar Pettiford (b) & Shadow Wilson (d). Three tunes by Jones & two by Rodgers & Hart.
    Producer: Alfred Lion. Engineer: unlisted. Recorded at Audio-Video Studios, NYC, 3/13/56.
    Remastered 2006 by Rudy Van Gelder.

9. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really also like the mono Platinum SHM-CD.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Absolutely love Stinson's work here and with Chico Hamilton. I share the wish that he had lived longer and recorded more.

ultron9 likes this.
  12. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

RIP Toots Thielemans

13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Looks like LL Smith is holding a melodica in the pic but the instrument is not listed on the back cover. Is that something else? Or is there actually melodica played on this disc?

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Jackie McLeanAction [(B) from McLean The Complete Blue 1964-66 Mosaic set] (Blue Note—Mosaic)
    — With Charles Tolliver, Bobby Hutcherson, Cecil McBee, Billy Higgins
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    ultron9, Mik, Starwanderer and 18 others like this.
  15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Mark Helias's Open Loose – New School (Enja Records / MW)
    — With Tony Malaby, Tom Rainey; live at The New School for Social Research, NYC

[​IMG]

16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

2011 Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 2080 hybrid stereo SACD mastered by Rob LoVerde

Recorded October '72 ~ March '73

[​IMG]

17. fingerpoppin

L.L. Smith is holding a thumb piano and a melodica, but the melodica is not played. On this disc he can be heard playing the piano (including inside the strings), the thumb piano and percussion.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Joe Lovano - From the Soul... Michel Petrucciani (p) Dave Holland (b) Ed Blackwell (d). Lively collection of excellent Lovano originals ("Evolution" "Modern Man") and inspired standards like "Central Park West" and "Body and Soul". Petrucciani didn't often work as sideman, and you can tell there's a connection with Lovano on every number.

[​IMG]

19. Bobby Buckshot

Interesting. Thank you. If you (or anyone else listening) know of any LL Smith melodica tracks, please advise. Great instrument and I'd love to hear it in a jazz setting.

20. [​IMG]

Basie Jam 2 - Count Basie (Pablo/OJC)
    with
    Benny Carter, Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Clark Terry, Al Grey, Joe Pass, John Heard & Louis Bellson

Recorded 1976 - CD Digital Remastering - Phil De Lancie

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

[​IMG]

.50 cent Garage Sale find. And it's Minty Clean.

22. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Branford Marsalis, Scenes in the City (Columbia CD)

With Jeffrey Watts, Marvin Smith, Kenny Kirkland, Mulgrew Miller, Robin Eubanks, John Longo, Charnett Moffett, Phil Bowler, Ray Drummond, Ron Carter

Picked this up for free recently at a trip to a local music store that also sells used LPs/CDs. Asked the owner if he know whether it was good or not so he put it on. Neither of us really dug it at first listen. He threw it in with my order unexpectedly, which was nice of him (god I love locally-run music stores. When these are gone, we'll never get this type of service or camaraderie again).

Now that I'm able to listen at home, I'm digging it. Really picks up steam with Solstice. Won't hesitate to pick up another Branford release after this.

Marzz, DrJ, ronfint and 4 others like this.
  23. fingerpoppin

Offhand I can't think of any. When I think of the melodica the only name that immediately comes to mind is Augustus Pablo and that's reggae not jazz.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  24. Chriss Ons

Chriss Ons Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ben Webster - Close Your Eyes (1965) / Dutch reissue, Polydor Medium - 2340 106

25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Savoy Records Arista SJL-2204) .... recorded January 1956 .....Lucky Thompson (ts) + Milt Jackson (vib) + Hank Jones or Wade Legge (p) + Wendell Marshall (b) + Kenny Clarke (dr) .... fantastic performances from this combo as a whole, but want to single out both the solo performances by Lucky Thompson and the bass mastery of Wendell Marshall .... captured at Van Gelder's Studio in beautiful mono sound .... again this is to me unreserved desert island material ....

charlesp, Say, Six String and 10 others like this.