The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Doing a google search, the only name I can find is Hermeto Pascoal. I'm familiar with the name, but I've not heard any of his music.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Listened again to Happenings, continuing my Hutcherson retrospective. Taking a brief break from that now with:

[​IMG]
    MM 33

Mik, Starwanderer, charlesp and 16 others like this.
  3. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Branford's never made a bad record, or even an average one. He's always challenging himself as composer and performer, and he consistently surrounds himself with great sidemen.

JHC3, fingerpoppin and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Miles
    Quiet Nights
    2 eye Mono

[​IMG]

5. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

also...

picked up some Trane this weekend...

Giant Steps - Rhino press
    Coltrane - Impulse limited edition
    Ballads - also one of the Impulse limited edition presses

[​IMG]

Mik, Starwanderer, charlesp and 18 others like this.
  6. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Listened to Marc Johnson's "2x4" today. Never thought a harmonica would be a jazz instrument, but boy-those toots tunes are terrific. R.I.P.

Chriss Ons, DrJ and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

8. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Jackie McLean with the Great Jazz Trio: New Wine in Old Bottles

[​IMG]

Mik, Starwanderer, charlesp and 9 others like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This 1991 CD consists of the contents of two 10" LPs (plus two bonus tracks) that pianist Hope did for Blue Note as well as three tracks done for Pacific Jazz. The BN sessions were a trio with Percy Heath (b) & Philly Joe Jones (d) from 6/18/53 & a quintet with Freeman Lee (tp), Frank Foster (ts), Heath (b) & Art Blakey (d) from 5/9/54. Both were recorded by Rudy Van Gelder. The Pacific Jazz tracks were recorded 10/31/57 in L.A. with Stu Williamson (tp), Harold Land (ts), Leroy Vinnegar (b) & Frank Butler (d). The producer (& probable engineer) was Richard Bock. Digital transfer by Ron McMaster.

10. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

Playing now.

[​IMG]

This is a great sounding CD to my ears. digital transfer by Ron McMaster.

11. Bwintroub

Bwintroub Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Boogaloo Joe Jones
    No Way!
    Original Prestige LP

Such a hot, soulful album.

12. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

I like this guy, too...

13. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Good night everyone....this voice is heavenly....what a composition, arrangement. Spectacular even all these years later...:love::love::love:

Bobby Buckshot and kollektionist like this.
  14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Totally agree, timeless jazz and a great sounding LP set. That Savoy Jazz 2-fer reissues series featured ugly cover art, but musically and sonically the titles were wonderful. As I recall, not only did RVG do the original engineering on these recordings, he did the vinyl mastering for this LP set as well.

charlesp and Soulpope like this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Sun Ra and His Solar Arkestra - Horizon (live album from 1971)

[​IMG]

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This 1998 CD includes the 'No Way!' album as well as 'What It Is'.

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 5/23 & 28/57, Reeves Sound Studios, NYC. Producer: Orrin Keepnews. Engineer: Jack Higgins. Belgian Bobby Jaspar plays tenor & flute. Sulieman plays trumpet on 3 of the 7 tracks & is to my ear the weak link here.

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Frank Morgan All-Stars, REFLECTIONS (Contemporary 1988, later reissued as an OJC CD). All-stars is right: Morgan, Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter, and Al Foster. When this was recorded in early January 1988, altoist Morgan had been out of prison for a little less than 3 years and was really hitting his full stride. It's another great Hutcherson "side-man" gig, where he plays such a major role in the ensembles and as a soloist. He also contributes a composition, here titled "Starting Over" but which he'd recorded earlier as "Head On" (on his Blue Note LP HAPPENINGS way back in 1966). Several other great tracks here too contributed by the guys - "Old Bowl, New Grits" by Miller, Henderson's classic "Black Narcissus," and "O.K" by Ron Carter, plus Monk's title track, Duke's "Caravan" and Rollins' "Sonnymoon for Two." Fantastic sound quality on this OJC CD, I bet the original Contemporary LP must be amazing.

Also listened to this Hutcherson leader date:
    [​IMG]
    With James Spaulding, Stanley Cowell, Reggie Workman, and Joe Chambers. As pointed out in Michael Cuscuna's informative liner notes, this excellent set of tunes was recorded for Blue Note in 1968 but then went unreleased until it appeared on LP under this title in 1980; it was then released as a Connoisseur CD in 1995. Cuscuna also points out that it was a kind of trial run for his soon-to-be-formed working band with Harold Land in place of Spaulding and another Reggie (Johnson, not Workman) on bass. Given the overlap in lineup, and the fact that Cowell and Chambers contribute all but one piece (Spaulding's poigniant MLK tribute "A Time To Go"), the overall sound and approach is very similar to that on the Hutch/Land/Cowell/Johnson/Chambers recordings (a great starting place being their work collected on the Connoisseur CD MEDINA). Save for Chambers' extroverted, burning title track (also here in a worthwhile alternate take), the tunes have a consistently melancholy and dark character that I find quite appealing. Cowell's now evergreen "Effi" and Chambers' foreboding and hypnotic "Ankara" are the killer cuts to my ears, but there's only a slight drop-off after that, the whole album is very worthwhile. For those who have or come across the Connoisseur CD: while it has the correct track listing on the tray card and on the disc, the actual tunes are not in the correct order; the side 2 tracks ended up before the side 1 tracks somehow.

Mik, Starwanderer, charlesp and 14 others like this.
  19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It was a good Garage Sale.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I suggested a Milt Jackson Savoy set to Mosaic years ago; they thought it was a great idea, but unfortunately it never materialized.

DrJ and Soulpope like this.
  21. Thanks to Lonson & Dr J for mentioning this one up-thread I eventually got round to buying a copy. It's certainly well worth checking out!
    Recently re-issued as part of Sony's Jazz Connoisseur series. Produced and prepared for CD release by Daniel Baumgarten.

[​IMG]

Strictly Powell - Bud Powell Trio (RCA Victor/Legacy)
    with
    George Duvivier (bass) & Art Taylor (drums)

Recorded 1956

22. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Really fine Stanley Cowell performance from 1993.

ultron9, charlesp, alankin1 and 5 others like this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

24. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Dexter Gordon Doin' Allright (RVG Edition CD)

With Freddie Hubbard, Horace Parlan, George Tucker, and Al Harewood

Incredible stuff. If I was in the market for the Music Matters LPs this one would be near the top of the list.

25. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Trane
    Love Supreme
    Impulse Limited Edition press

[​IMG]