The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I drop this in and two notes in Mrs. Ax sez: "Trane". I sez: "Yeah, more whiskey?" :D This a mother. Stereo Japanese reissue and I really sorta kinda like the Stereo mix, there's enough bloom in the instruments to fill in the stage nicely yet retains the instrumental separation that makes it lifelike. Oh those dual basses.......and Hub snarls.......next up the recent mono lp for kicks.

[​IMG]

2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Great seasonal! Had a fair share this season. And no "Lagunitas Sucks" this year :) (and Hop Stoopid in 6ers now)

Erik B. and DrJ like this.
  3. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Mats Eilertsen - Rubicon

[​IMG]

4. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions (1963-67), Disc 2

[​IMG]

Disc 1 was sounding really really good, so why stop! Disc 2...

Mik, Starwanderer, rxcory and 6 others like this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

1983 CBS/Sony 35DP 69

^ I like this one a little better than the MFSL SACD.

Recorded January '65 at Columbia Studios, Hollywood

[​IMG]

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    George Adams-Don Pullen Quartet, LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD, Vol. 2 (Soul Note, original CD). Recorded in 1983. George Adams on tenor, Don Pullen piano, Cameron Brown bass, and Dannie Richmond drums. Four tunes, given lengthy (all 10 minutes plus) interrogations by what some might consider "the" quartet of the period, in full glory. You are there.

7. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(LP Nessa N-12) .... recorded November 1977 .... Henry Threadgill (ts, as, fl, hubkaphone) + Fred Hopkins (b) + Steve McCall (dr, perc) .... after two initial releases in Japan this was the first Air session for an US label and entrepreneur Chuck Nessa taped them in full glory .... Henry Theadgill shines as invetive composer and multi-instrumental artist .... always been very fond of Fred Hopkins - I was lucky enough to see him perform in concert several times - and his impeccable mastery documented here is striking indeed .... after some searching back then found a quiet and excelent sounding Nessa vinyl press from 1978 - this comes highly recommended - even more as Chuck Nessa just released a limited vinyl reissue of this Air classic ....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(LP Antilles AN-1007) .... recorded January 1982 .... Henry Threadgill (ts, as) + Fred Hopkins (b) + Steve McCall (dr, perc) .... this should be the last recording of this fascinating ensemble .... als usual they put on display both their individual brilliance + tightness as unit while searching the avantgarde firmly based in the tradition - as to be witnessed via the re-working of Jelly Roll Morton`s "Chicago Breakdown".... very good sounding Antilles viny press from 1982 ....

Mik, Starwanderer, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I had that old Japanese disc and sold it. I prefer the MFSL SACD (CD-layer, I don't have an SACD-player). I had most of the early Japanese Miles CD reissues (35DP, 32DP) and sold them all. And yes, my system does decode pre-emphasis.

Erik B. likes this.
  10. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Walter Lang and Lee Konitz, Ashiya
    [​IMG]

11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The Spike Orchestra - Cerberus (Book of Angels Vol. 26)

[​IMG]

This is the Big Band Masada project you’ve been waiting for. Led by composers Sam Eastmond and Nikki Franklin, The SPIKE Orchestra is a large ensemble that draws on a wide range of influences including Duke Ellington, Frank Zappa, Carl Stalling, Zorn and more. Melding jazz, rock, klezmer, cartoon and the avant-garde into a compelling and cohesive vision, this new Angels installment is one of the most imaginative and manic masterpieces in the whole series. An outrageous and explosive swinger that will thrill even the most hardened skeptic. Essential.

[​IMG]
    Personnel:
    Paul Booth: Tenor Sax, Clarinet
    Erica Clarke: Baritone Sax, Bass Clarinet
    Stewart Curtis: Tenor Sax, Clarinet
    Sam Eastmond: Solo Trumpet
    Nikki Franklin: Voice
    Moss Freed: Guitar
    Ben Greenslade-Stanton: Trombone
    Mike Guy: Accordion
    George Hogg: Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    Noel Langley: Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    Sam Leak: Piano, Keyboards
    Chris Nickolls: Drums
    Dave Powell: Tuba
    Ashley Slater: Trombone
    Karen Straw: Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    Mike Wilkins: Alto Sax, Clarinet
    Otto Willberg: Bass
    Vasilis Xenopoulos: Alto Sax, Flute

ronfint, Starwanderer, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I'm not listening to the Collectables Jazz Classics CD (that was just the best cover art pic I could find), but rather a white label promo of the original Columbia mono LP pressing. This is really swinging album, illustrative of the way that the Clarke-Boland unit was able to combine all the power and glory of a large group but with the nimbleness and openness of a small group. The band was loaded with great soloists, including baritonist Sahib Shihab (his lengthy ballad feature is the high point of the record for me), trumpeters Benny Bailey and Idrees Sulieman, and tenor Billy Mitchell, among others.

Tim 2, ronfint, Starwanderer and 6 others like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Eric Dolphy - Outward Bound, AP 45. I recently down graded my turntable setup so I am playing the good stuff to dial in the cartridge. Huge, wide open sound on this reissue.

[​IMG]

14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Night shift No. 3 is done, and only 4 more to go. Taking a much needed funk break with a couple of my favorite JB comps:

[​IMG]

1990 PolyGram/Polydor 847 258-2 mastered by Dennis Drake and Tom Ruff, and

[​IMG]

2004 Polydor/Universal 0600753022498; engineers Joseph M. Palmaccio and Dennis M. Drake; mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound

[​IMG]

15. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I thought I was the only weirdo who "downgraded" gear on this forum. Couldn't be happier with my current Rega decks.

rxcory and hvbias like this.
  16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is the Star Time boxset good, sonic-wise ?

17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Man, Herbie's piano playing on this is crazy, in good way!

[​IMG]

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Nice :) I didn't think it was worth having ~ $3k in a setup I'd only use occasionally. Vinyl is more a "fun" thing for me now.

rxcory and btf1980 like this.
  19. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Lester Young / Le Dernier Message de Lester Young / Barclay / 1959 / SAM Records Reissue LP of 84069

Personnel: Lester Young (tenor sax); René Urtreger (piano); Jimmy Gourley (guitar); Jamil Nasser (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums)

Technical: Reissue produced by Fred Thomas for Sam Records. Recorded on Mars 4, 1959 at Barclay Studios, Paris. Photography by Herman Leonard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - S/T

[​IMG]

21. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 Original Albums - Herbie Hancock (Blue Note)

Had to get a copy of Inventions & Dimensions on CD and buying this box was the cheapest way to do that!
    I never heard this Herbie Hancock title before and am loving every second of it!
    The album includes Paul Chambers (bass), Willie Bobo (drums & timbales) & Osvaldo "Chihuahau" Martinez (congo & bongo)

All discs in the box sound great and at a guess are all probably original CD masters.

As is usual with this series, it is presented in a nifty wee cardboard box, and all CDs are in small replica cardboard sleeves of original LPs.

There are no bonus tracks, or booklet. All sleeve notes are readable with the aid of a magnifying glass!

Voltaire, Marzz, David Ellis and 16 others like this.
  22. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Count Basie and His Orchestra – The Complete Clef/Verve Fifties Studio Recordings [(AB) CD 1a - Jan 1952] (Clef / Mosaic)

[​IMG]

With Paul Campbell, Wendell Culley, Joe Newman, Charlie Shavers (trumpet) Henry Coker, Benny Powell, Jimmy Wilkins (trombone) Marshall Royal (alto sax, clarinet) Ernie Wilkins (alto, tenor sax) Floyd Johnson, Paul Quinichette (tenor sax) Charlie Fowlkes (baritone sax) Count Basie (piano) Freddie Green (guitar) Jimmy Lewis (bass) Gus Johnson (drums) Nat Pierce, Neal Hefti, Sy Oliver, Harry "Sweets" Edison (arrangers)

Tim 2, rxcory, Mik and 6 others like this.
  24. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

you have to go through a 10-minutes walk in a war zone, then... beauty abounds...
    pharaoh is the 2nd soloist isn't it?

rxcory, Erik B. and vanhooserd like this.
  25. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Sort of acid rock fusion. John McLaughlin with Larry Young and others, circa 1970.

[​IMG]