The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

The Gary Burton Quartet with Eberhard Weber - Passengers

[​IMG]

Voltaire, Marzz, Mik and 5 others like this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

3. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Walt Dickerson Trio - Peace

[​IMG]

Marzz, charlesp, Mik and 6 others like this.
  4. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Still got to hear it. Will get time, soon. Both éditions are waiting in my server.

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I tried this before, it was/is challenging music. Gotta go all in with this one.

6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Louis Armstrong - Satch Plays Fats (1955)

2000 Columbia CK 64927

I love the last track on the original album configuration, my favorite rendition of the Fats Waller diddy, "Ain't Misbehavin'" where Pops adds instant excitement by climbing the chromatic scale one note-phrase at a time. This is one album high up on my want list for a clean original mono DG LP; also got the Pure Pleasure LP on my radar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

That steeplechase label seems to have done really good stuff-haven't heard this one, but everything I have heard is solid. The few I have heard have that nhop bass player, and I like that stuff a lot...

jiffypopinski, Tim 2 and Soulpope like this.
  8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Andrew Hill, Dusk
    [​IMG]

I don't see this mentioned often, but it's a great recording.

Marzz, Cactus Bob, BKphoto and 11 others like this.
  11. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

12. [​IMG]

Original Jazz Classics Collection - Barney Kessel (Contemporary/OJC)

Tracks selected from -

The Poll Winners: Barney Kessel with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown
    Kessel Plays Standards (2 tracks)
    Carmen
    Poll Winners Three! Barney Kessel with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown (2 tracks)
    Easy Life

Picked this up in the bargains.

It's a miserly collection with only 7 tracks and a running time of less than 30 minutes.

Apart from one track from The Poll Winners everything else sounds like it was selected especially to appeal to lovers of the MOR/easy listening side of Jazz music.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  13. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Currently listening to Grant Green Street of Dreams, fantastic, groovin' record that I can just float away on any time of the week. I know Idle Moments gets all the love in the Green cannon but this one is at least equal in my view.

Talking about Green and Streets ;), also had my first listen to Green Street the other day. Interesting record in that it just has bass and drums backing with no piano, rather than the brass and organ on most of his other outings, but Grant provides more than enough interest throughout to keep the thing afloat and even soaring all by his lonesome.

BKphoto, rxcory, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

The Bright Mississippi - Allen Toussaint (Nonesuch)

Recorded 2008

A superb album, full of wonderful covers of many early Jazz classics.

Thanks to forum members for pointing out how good an album this is, otherwise I would have missed out big time on what is a real gem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Voltaire, Marzz, BKphoto and 9 others like this.
  15. Such a great Toussaint Jazz based album deserves to be followed up with another equally impressive Jazz based one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

American Tunes - Allen Toussaint (Nonesuch)

Solo piano tracks recorded 2013
    All other tracks recorded 2015

Marzz, BKphoto, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I see this MCA Love Supreme in the used bins on a regular basis but haven't yet scooped it up. Any known differences between the mixes on this and the more typical Impulse! label CD? Note at discogs says "remastered" but further info is scant. Is there any difference at all?

ronfint likes this.
  17. rxcory

It is, very good. I never met a Dennis Drake mastering I didn't like.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  18. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Randy Weston / Little Niles / United Artists / 1959 / US Mono Deep Groove UAL-4011 LP

Personnel: Johnny Griffin (tenor sax); Ray Copeland, Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); Melba Liston (trombone); Randy Weston (piano); George Joyner (bass); Charlie Persip (drums)

Technical: Produced by Jack Lewis. Recorded October 1958 at RCA Studios, New York City. All Compositions by Randy Weston. All Arrangements by Melba Liston. Liner Notes by Langston Hughes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marzz, ronfint, charlesp and 6 others like this.
  19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I can tell you that there are 4 "regular" releases, one from the 80's, the Labsen remastering from the 90s, the Reeves from around 2008. And the RVG Deluxe from around 2000.
    My personal go-to version is the Analogue Prod. Not that expensive and just perfect for my tastes. But I never took time to really compare the other releases.

Erik B. and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. rxcory

One of my desert island albums. I love how beautifully the piano is recorded, and every time I listen to it I'm transported back to NOLA, at least in my own mind. That pic on the back with the Greater New Orleans bridge, that's what you see when you're standing on the bank in the French Quarter, watching the flow of the "Mighty Mississip." And it is massive. The last time I stood there I tried to imagine steam boats going up and down it. Can't wait to go back there - someday.

21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Mal Waldron/ Marion BrownMuch More! (Free Lance) — piano & alto sax
    [​IMG]

22. Bobby Buckshot

Thanks @fredhammersmith - I just went down the wormhole via the search function on this site for Love Supreme masterings and spent about an hour taking it all in (I personally dislike using the official acronym for this release - it's a shame that it's shared with a deadly disease!). One good thing is that a guy who posted back in '02 about his son playing sax linked his son's teacher's CD on amazon (Wendell Hobbs Jazz Quartet - Eastern Standard Time - Amazon.com Music ) Gems like that are part of what make this forum so great.

Anyway, I also saw that the MCA CD is likely remastered by Greg Fulginiti and has a decent reputation, so there's that (at least worth the $5/$6 price tag in the used bins). Although consensus - if you can all it that - is that the AP SACD is the best.

Erik B. and fredhammersmith like this.
  23. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Steven Lugerner - For We Have Heard

Darren Johnson - trumpet
    Myra Melford - piano
    Matt Wilson - drums
    Steven Lugerner - double reeds, clarinets, flutes, saxophones

[​IMG]

Marzz, DrJ, ronfint and 2 others like this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I was just spinning this, myself.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Erik B., petercl and 11 others like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Recent purchase for me, but have yet to listen...looking forward to it for that unique trio session sound.

rxcory and macdaddysinfo like this.