The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP SABA Gatefold Cover SB 15 158 ST) .... recorded live at the "Domicile" , Munich in January 1968 .... Benny Bailey (tp) + Nathan Davis (ts) + Mal Waldron (p) + Jimmy Woode (b) + Makaya Ntshoko (dr) + Charly Campbell (perc on track A2, B2) .... treasured late sixties live performance recorded in impeccable sound (like all the SABA/MPS releases are) and featuring both Benny Bailey - moonlighting here from his permanent stint with the Clarke-Boland Big Band at that time - and seering tenorsax master Nathan Davis at the peak of their powers .... things get even better as Mal Waldron is heading a superb rhythm section and special mentions goes to the unbelievable groovy bass performance of Jimmy Woode .... dead quiet and superb sounding german SABA vinyl press from 1968 (for CD buffs : this was some times ago released in Japan as Universal Japan UCCU-5526 - if being on offer grab this without reservation) ....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Marzz, miklew, rxcory and 8 others like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It was the trio setting that put me off buying it for some time, but I'm glad I did. Green is always enjoyable and capable of carrying the day, and he's backed up admirably by Tucker and Bailey.

rxcory and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Curtis FullerThe Opener [(A) from The Complete Blue Note / UA Sessions] (Blue Note – Mosaic)
    — Curtis Fuller - trombone; Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone (tracks 2, 3, 5 & 6); Bobby Timmons - piano; Paul Chambers - bass; Art Taylor - drums; first stereo issue

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, Erik B. and 12 others like this.
  4. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

5. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Horace Silver's Song for my Father is a special one to me, as when I decided to learn jazz guitar SFMF was the first song I learned, transcribing Joe Henderson's solo note for note.

6. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

These particular box sets are great. I have the Dexter Gordon and just got the Wayne Shorter. As you say a cheap way to fill the gaps.
    Though NP Chet Baker Sings It Could Happen To You. Riverside RLP-1120.

Jackie P likes this.
  7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Mmmmmmmm... that's a real good one. Thanks for the hint. :righton:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJS6Z51iqg

Soulpope likes this.
  8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Fats Theus, BLACK OUT (CTI, recorded in July 1970 at Van Gelder's). Theus was a funky tenor saxophonist who (as on this album) frequently used a Varitone electronic attachment to give a different sound. He's joined here on one of the very first recordings on Creed Taylor's CTI label (catalog number 1005 - ? fifth in line) by none other than Grant Green on guitar, Idris Muhammad on drums, and either Clarence Palmer or Hilton Felder on organ, Chuck Rainey or Jimmy Lewis on bass, and Eddie Moore on saw (yep, saw). It's a nice soul jazz date of the period, with a few nods to rock and even fewer touches acknowledging (but not quite getting into) the avant garde. I'm listening to the Blu-Spec Japanese CD reissue, which has very good sound quality. At this point CTI had not yet developed its "house sound" and approach (a good or bad thing I suppose, depending on your viewpoint - I tend to lean in the former direction myself), and so this sounds very much like the Blue Note soul jazz recordings of Green or Lou Donaldson or John Patton from the late sixties and early seventies. I bought it mostly for Green's presence, and he doesn't disappoint, easily taking solo honors. One interesting thing is that his sound is different than I'm used to - there's more reverb than I'm accustomed to, first of all, and it sounds like he must be playing a different guitar and/or using a different amp than before as the sound has less of the Green "ping" I'm used to. But anyway, Rudy has captured him beautifully, and he's still as creative and relentlessly swinging as ever! The material is hit and miss; Theus' originals don't stick in the memory much, purely functional stuff, but there are nice takes on Jobim's "Stone Flower"and the perennial "Moonlight in Vermont" (hopped up in the intro, then slowing down to more typical tempo, unusual but effective). Worth it for Green's contributions and Muhammad's groove alone, though the other players are solid enough.

ronfint, petercl, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  9. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

been gone 3 years already....time flies, and waits for no man.

Erik B. likes this.
  10. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't own a lot of stuff on this label but what I have is great. Chet Baker's Steeplechase run is pretty sweet and I now own almost all of Walt Dickerson fantastic albums. This one was very tough to find on CD though as it is OOP and I went through three CD-R copies until I found a legit version for sale on discogs. It's a beautiful recording. :pleased:

11. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

‪Ornette Coleman - To Whom Who Keeps A Record ‬

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, Erik B. and 11 others like this.
  12. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

The Bill Evans Trio - Since We Met

[​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, Cactus Bob and 9 others like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have all the OJC CD reissues of Barney's Contemporary albums, plus the Poll Winners albums.

DrJ likes this.
  14. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring (1963)

2014 Blue Note/HDtracks 96/24

Recorded March 19, '62 at Rudy's

Jackie McLean - alto sax
    Walter Davis, Jr. - piano
    Herbie Lewis - bass
    Billy Higgins - drums

I only have a few albums with Walter Davis on piano and really enjoy his playing. So Walter, this spin's for you. Pall Mall non-filters, same as my grandma.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, Roger Thornhill and 15 others like this.
  15. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

In memory of Larry Coryell RIP

Mik, Marzz, Mr Bass and 9 others like this.
  16. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I'm trying to learn more about this scene. There's some very inspired playing in this collection.

Marzz, hvbias, charlesp and 7 others like this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Impulse! Stereo Gatefold Cover AS-97) .... recorded March/August 1965 .... Archie Shepp (ts, p) + Bobby Hutcherson (vib) +David Izenzon/Henry Grimes/Barre Phillips (b) + J.C. Moses/Joe Chambers/Ed Blackwell/Rashied Ali (dr, per) + Christine Spencer (voc on the title track) .... this treasurous release features Archie Shepp in a variety of settings mirroring the artistic development he went through during a rather short time span .... Shepp excells - embedded in flowing sound patterns by Bobby Hutcherson - in a beautiful reading of "In A Sentimental Mood" and beneath Shepps`s searching sax it is again Hutcherson who adds some marvellous nearly surreal sounds to "Gingerbread, Gingerbread Boy" (which was part of the Archie Shepp Newport set from July 1965 not featured - due to running time restrictions - on "New Things At Newport" Impulse vinyl release) and the interplay of Barre Phillips and Joe Chambers is exquisite .... excellent sounding Impulse Stereo vinyl press from 1965 (for CD buffs : the complete Newport performance saw release as "New Thing At Newport" Impulse! 543 414-2 and the studio recordings with additional bonus material as "On This Night" Impulse! GRP 11252) ....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Jackie P, Mik, Marzz and 11 others like this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Curtis FullerBone & Bari [(B) from The Complete Blue Note / UA Sessions] (Blue Note – Mosaic)
    — Curtis Fuller - trombone; Tate Houston - baritone saxophone; Sonny Clark - piano; Paul Chambers - bass; Art Taylor - drums; first stereo issue

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik, Marzz, ronfint and 11 others like this.
  19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Larry CoryellToku Do (Muse Records)
    — With Stanley Cowell, Buster Williams, Beaver Harris; tunes by Buster Williams, Coltrane, Monk, Ellington, plus two jazz standards and a CD bonus track of a Stanley Cowell tune.

[​IMG]

ronfint, rxcory, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  20. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

We spent the weekend in Mass...Found this little gem at a local record store...

dirty, but not a mark on it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, Marzz and 13 others like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Those Donald Byrd/Gigi Gryce Jazz Lab recordings are really nice. I have these on CD:
    Jazz Lab – Sony (Japan); 1957 Columbia recordings
    Gigi Gryce and the Jazz Lab Quintet – Original Jazz Classics; 1957 Riverside recordings
    New Formulas from the Jazz Lab – Vik (Japan); 1957 recordings
    Jazz Lab – Fresh Sound (Spain); 1957 Jubilee recordings ( I wish I could find a good-sounding "legit" release of this one) (edit: found a Japanese reissue)

rxcory, DrJ, BKphoto and 1 other person like this.
  22. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Larry Coryell / Emily Remler ~ Together

Concord, 1985

[​IMG]

Marzz, Soulpope, ronfint and 5 others like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Both gone now...

24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sun RaContinuation - CD 2 (Corbett vs. Dempsey)

[​IMG]

Personnel: Sun Ra - piano, piano strings, space organ, clavioline, gong; Walter Miller - trumpet; Ali Hasaan - trombone; John Gilmore - tenor saxophone, clarinet, percussion; Marshall Allen - alto saxophone, oboe, percussion; Danny Davis - alto saxophone, clarinet, percussion; Pat Patrick - baritone saxophone, clarinet, percussion; Robert Cummings - bass clarinet; Art Jenkins - space voice, percussion; Ronnie Boykins - bass; Tommy Hunter - drums, percussion, reverb

CD 2 consists of unreleased material from the same 1963 NYC session.

Mik, Marzz, Roger Thornhill and 9 others like this.
  25. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

They worked well together and Larry gigged to the end which is commendable. What a great musicians.