The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Randomly selected by my niece because she likes the cover. Larry Young - Into Somethin'. The kid has great taste.

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, Marzz and 15 others like this.
  2. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Gateway

Homecoming

John Abercrombie - Dave Holland - Jack DeJohnette

ECM, 1994

[​IMG]

3. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Your picture reminded me I haven't played the MM45 reissue of JR Monterose in a long time, a great album that didn't really get much discussion in the MM thread when it came out.

My memory is failing me here, I am pretty sure I have this disc with the same cover except it's not the complete sessions. The music is great.

btf1980 and ronfint like this.
  5. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett - Changeless

[​IMG]

6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    On the Shanachie label, recorded in 1989. Glorious acoustic work, alternately fiery and serene, as only Coryell could do it. RIP.

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Mingus Three [SHM-CD]
    Charles Mingus

I'm surprised at how good this sounds!

[​IMG]

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Never had the other one, so can't compare. Sorry

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett - Paris Concert

[​IMG]

Voltaire, DrJ, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

John Coltrane - Crescent [ORG]

Just got my shipment in today from acousticsounds and I'm giving this first honors! Got quite a bit in the shipment so looks like it's going to be a busy week.

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Grant Green - Blues For Lou

1999 Blue Note/Capitol 7243 5 21438 2 5 "Connoisseur Series" mastered by Ron McMaster

Recorded Feb & June '63 at Rudy's

Just starting night shift number 6 of 7, need something peppy to get me going. This soul-jazz date is just the thing. This rendition of John Patton's "Big John" is a monster!

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, DrJ and 8 others like this.
  12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

The Jazz Messengers / Columbia / 1956 / US "Six Eye" White Label Promo LP

Personnel: Donald Byrd (trumpet); Hank Mobley (tenor sax); Horace Silver (piano) Doug Watkins (bass); Art Blakey (drums)

Technical: Produced by George Avakian. Recorded April 6 & May 4, 1956 at Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York City. Photography by Don Hunstein.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

An earlier, fantastic album by the Jazz Messengers. Really glad to see and hear the great Doug Watkins on this one. This copy has certainly seen better days, but it's still mighty enjoyable and I just had to get it, since White Label Promos of this one are quite rare and expensive.

Mik, vanhooserd, DrJ and 17 others like this.
  13. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Voltaire, Mik, DrJ and 10 others like this.
  14. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Jutta Hipp, Zoot Sims - Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (1956)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik, DrJ, BKphoto and 9 others like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Nessa N-6) .... recorded June 1975 .... while being just in discussions with a jazz aficionado regarding important jazz recordings (aka the subjective importance of certain platters) this recording didn`t do too much of an impression to me as new release and I was virtually talked into buing it by my (truly) best friend .... a couple of years later I was in my secondary living room (means my favourite record shop in Vienna "Red Octopus" ) when some outstanding- audibly Chicago rooted - tenorsax playing (backed by a excellent rhythm section) roared through the speakers - baffled I`ve asked who it is and the store owner grinned saying " Von Freeman - Young And Foolish" .... back home finally remembered the Nessa platters (still unplayed) and was firmly overwhelmed by these epic Von Freeman performances with a Chicago based Rhythm Section consisting of superb pianist John Young + groovy bassman David Shipp + pinpont drummer Wilbur Campbell .... "Have No Fear" documents the upbeat sides of the session, the wonderful downtempo sides are collected on "Serenades & Blues" (LP Nessa N-7) .... have this as excellent sounding Nessa vinyl press from 1975 -(but even as vinyl collector you need both CD editions too, as they add one track each of excellent bonus material) ....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Marzz, DrJ, ronfint and 9 others like this.
  16. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Teddy Edwards - Midnight Creeper (1997)

[​IMG]

DrJ, ronfint, Six String and 2 others like this.
  17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think Lou Donaldson's album of the same name wins it for most attractive cover artwork :laugh:

vanhooserd, DrJ and Lonson like this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Larry CoryellSpaces (Vanguard Records / zyx-music Germany)
    — Larry Corryell, John McLaughlin (guitars), Chick Corea (el. piano), Miroslav Vitous (bass), Billy Cobham (drums)

[​IMG]

Marzz, Mik, vanhooserd and 6 others like this.
  19. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

In total agreement with you. That Teddy Edwards cover is just horrible.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Now playing:

Miles Davis, The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965
    Mosaic 10xLP box set

I find this hard to digest, simply for the number of LPs in the box. Several weeks ago, I listened to the first five LPs in a single day. Now I'm picking back up with the sixth LP and may just finish the whole thing.

These were remixed from the three-track masters, kept in the analog domain, and they sound absolutely wonderful. Even with the hassle of fishing through ten LPs stuffed in a box, I prefer spinning these to the CD version, because the sound is just that much better.

Marzz, Mik, DrJ and 9 others like this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Some new stuff that I'll be spinning today:

[​IMG]

Marzz, Mik, btf1980 and 11 others like this.
  23. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Phineas Newborn Jr. / Here Is Phineas / Atlantic / 1957 / U.S. First Black-Silver Label Mono LP 1235

Personnel: Phineas Newborn Jr. (piano); Oscar Pettiford (bass); Kenny Clarke (drums); Calvin Newborn (guitar)

Technical: Produced by Nesuhi Ertegun. Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder On May 3 & 4, 1956 in New York City. Photography by Burt Goldblatt. Liner Notes by George Wein.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marzz, rxcory, vanhooserd and 6 others like this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Is it just me, or does this band's playing grow more confident, inspired, and impressive, as these sets go on and they continue to work out what it is they're doing? I suppose that's to be expected, since they were self-consciously reaching for new ways of communicating this music, and among themselves. But over the course of these several sets over a few nights, I think the sound becomes less reaching and less self-conscious, and more successful at grasping just what they were going for all along.

rxcory and macdaddysinfo like this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Mickey Tucker Trio – Sweet Lotus Lips (Denon—Nippon Columbia Japan)
    — With Mickey Tucker (piano), Reggie Workman (bass), Horacee Arnold (drums)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Marzz, rxcory, DrJ and 5 others like this.