The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

M
    My favorite KD !

rxcory, dzhason and David Ellis like this.
  2. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

One my fav Miles- the XRCD sounds great too !

3. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Bill Evans & Eddie Gomez - Intuition

[​IMG]

rxcory, ronfint, jeffsjazz and 3 others like this.
  4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Music Matters 33 1/3 rpm reissue. Man I wish they would have done more titles in this series like this one - titles that hadn't already been issued in either the Analogue Productions or Music Matters 45 rpm series. To me the overlap in the 33 1/3 and 45 rpm BN titles was rather a wasted opportunity, since all of these releases sound very nice (we get to the point of splitting hairs about pros/cons but truly any would be good enough to my ears) - so why not maximize the number of titles reissued? Ah well, maybe MM will pick up again in the future someday, or some other label will take up the BN vinyl reissue gauntlet. Anyway this is just another wonderful Duke Pearson album, in fact one of his very best if not right at the top, and harder edged than a lot of his work, played by a dream lineup, with Spaulding in particularly remarkable form on both alto and flute (his solos are consistently riveting on this album).

rxcory, ronfint, charlesp and 14 others like this.
  5. jiffypopinski

Keith Jarrett - La Scala

[​IMG]

ronfint, jeffsjazz, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  6. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Henry Threadgill - Song Out Of My Trees (1993)
    (Black Saint, 1994)

[​IMG]

ronfint, charlesp, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I justvlistened to the first track and enjoyed it immensely. Never heard of her but it seems fitting that Avotcja One is a reference to the poet of the same name.

Avotcja.org

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Cool! Thanks for making that connection, I'd always wondered...I hope it wasn't right there in the liner notes, I tend not to read them much these days due to small print/presbyopia!

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No problem! Not sure about the liner notes, I just streamed it on my phone, I was thinking it was Polish so I had to google it to either confirm or refute this theory.

DrJ likes this.
  10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Enja Records German Press enja-2090) .... recorded February 1977 .... Terusama Hino (tp) + Hal Galper (p) + Cecil McBee (b) + Tony Williams (dr) .... the leader - being another underrated artist - assembles a late 70`s true all-star cast - this is one of the rare examples where the line up meets or even exceeds high expectations .... Terusama Hino soars unboundedly and the rhythm section follows Hal Galper`s patterns with empathy - what a joy listening to the superb percussion work courtesy of Tony Williams .... excellent sound via this Enja German vinyl press from 1977 (for CD buffs : the CD version offers additionally a very good alternate take on "First Song Of The Day") .....

jeffsjazz, rxcory, ronfint and 7 others like this.
  11. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That track is excellent overall - I will be picking up this CD based on your post Soulpope, thanks - though wow, another reminder of how much Tony Williams changed up his drumming style over the years. I fully realize others may feel very differently, but I absolutely LOVED his playing in the early years, from about 1963-1968 or so - probably the greatest jazz drumming ever for me - and so was literally depressed when I started hearing his subsequent playing and could barely recognize him as the same drummer. Compare his work on this track with his subtlety and sympathy on a classic like MILES SMILES and it is disheartening. I find he's way too busy for my taste behind the soloists here, drawing attention away from them and to himself rather than complimenting what they are playing (Hino plays a staggering solo and I'd much rather have been able to focus on that than trying to filter out the drummer who seems to be screaming "look at me, look at me..."). It almost sounds like Williams is playing in a different (rock) group altogether, pounding away in music that, while relatively high energy, really doesn't really call for that type of thing. I mean jeez, could he lay off the crash cymbals for a sec every now and then? It's acoustic jazz...From reading about his career, Williams took it pretty hard that his own commercial success as a leader was never that large. So maybe what I'm hearing was anger, maybe over-compensation/trying too hard. A shame, anyway, because the guy had nothing to prove, a gigantic talent. Sorry for the rant, and again no disrespect meant to anyone who totally disagrees/thinks I'm nuts about his playing here - I just had to get it off my chest.:)

Henry Please, Turmatic and Soulpope like this.
  12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Just busted into a box that arrived yesterday containing the Music Matters final set. Except for Search for the New Land, I've never heard any of these particular titles, now playing The Magnificent Thad Jones.

[​IMG]

rxcory, Pants Party, ronfint and 13 others like this.
  13. jiffypopinski

Richard Beirach - Hubris

[​IMG]

Voltaire, ronfint, charlesp and 4 others like this.
  14. jiffypopinski

Chet Baker Trio - This Is Always

[​IMG]

15. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

Ijust bought Wynton's "Kelly Blue" on XRCD and was a bit disappointed by the sound.

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Anthony Braxton20 Standards (Quartet) 2003 - CD 1 (Leo Records)
    — Anthony Braxton - reeds; Kevin O'Neil - guitar; Andy Eulau - bass; Kevin Norton - percussion

[​IMG]

ronfint, miklew, jay.dee and 4 others like this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, Riverside recordings are not the best ever made :)

Mark J likes this.
  18. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

That's on my wish list:)

19. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Sonny Red - Quartet, Quintet & Sextet

[​IMG]

"This collection of quartet, quintet and sextet settings brings together four albums he made for the Jazzland label during one of the most productive spells of his career and shows why he was held in such esteem by his contemporaries."
    Sonny Red - Quartet, Quintet & Sextet (4 LPs on 2 CDs) - Blue Sounds

ronfint, miklew, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  20. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    From the 5 CD box set.

ronfint, vanhooserd, miklew and 6 others like this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Right I was just gonna say, it's a pretty grainy, middling-fidelity recording to begin with, so only so much can be done. Plus I wonder who mastered the XRCD in question (see next post).

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The KELLY BLUE XRCD I have was mastered by Alan Yoshida and sounds great to me, relative to the OJC CD (which isn't bad by any means).

I wonder is this one of the Riverside titles where there was also another (earlier) XRCD release of this title done by someone other than Yoshida - and maybe that is what you have? I had an earlier non-Yoshida XRCD (for Japanese market only) of Blue Mitchell's BLUE'S MOODS that I found sounded terrible, tinny/bright, unloaded that one quickly. Now I only pick up the jazz XRCDs that Yoshida mastered, he generally does a terrific job, even when he doesn't have the best tapes to work with.

23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I had the Kelly Blue XRCD and then got the 2004 SACD. It is a significant improvement and a revelation, IMO. Mastering by Joe Tarantino.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    DrJ likes this.
  24. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

HOWARD RUMSEY / LIGHTHOUSE ALL-STARS VOL. 6 / CONTEMPORARY / 1955 / US MONO C 3504 LP

PERSONNEL: HOWARD RUMSEY (BASS); BUD SHANK (ALTO SAX); BOB COOPER (TENOR SAX); CONTE CANDOLI (TRUMPET); FRANK ROSOLINO (TROMBONE); STU WILLIAMSON (VALVE TROMBONE); CLAUDE WILLIAMSON (PIANO); STAN LEVEY (DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: PRODUCED BY LESTER KOENIG. RECORDED BY JOHN PALLADINO ON DECEMBER 3, 1954, FEBRUARY 22 & MARCH 1, 1955 IN HOLLYWOOD. COVER PHOTO BY WILLIAM CLAXTON TAKEN AT HERMOSA BEACH. LINER NOTES BY LESTER KOENIG AND HOWARD RUMSEY.

[​IMG]

ronfint, jeffsjazz, miklew and 3 others like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Early XRCDs were mastered by Alan Yoshida at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA. Later XRCD series were mastered in Japan, by Japanese engineers, not by Alan Yoshida. I had a few of those later ones and they sounded markedly different, and not in a good way...

I don't have the Kelly Blue XRCD anymore. I preferred the 2004 Fantasy hybrid SACD - I'm now listening to that one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    rxcory, ronfint, jeffsjazz and 6 others like this.