The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I must admit this has happened to my wife an I a few times at restaurants or venues when approached from behind by a hostess or server: "Ladies" :sigh: I always lighten the scene by replying: "It must be my curvaceous bum". :laugh:

DrJ likes this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

If I told you you may get the last copy ;)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

:laugh: No worries man, at that price I'd cop it quick. I've been on the fence for a while now with the $90 full retail. Waiting for a sale.

4. AxiomAcoustics

Check yer inbox :)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

Man I miss this band, always a great time. I've seen them probably a dozen times, always in a small bar/club setting where the funk is think and it's easy to chat with the boys in the band.

alankin1 likes this.
  6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

You're welcome, IIRC they appeared here first and then were added to the appropriate reissues...

DrJ likes this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

Anyone hip to Sly 5th Avenue & The Clubcasa Orchestra?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Ahmed Abdul-Malik: Spellbound

Ahmed Abdul-Malik: Bass
    Ray Nance: Cornet and Violin
    Sheldon Powell: Tenor Sax and Flute
    Paul Neves: Piano
    Walter Perkins: Drums
    Hamza Aldeen: Oud

Recorded in 1964 at Rudy's for the Status label after a fine run on Prestige/New Jazz. This is surprisingly more 'conventional' than some of his earlier outings but still infused with the modes and scales of the Mid East. One of the biggest contributors here to that sound is the Violin of Ray Nance, giving the proceedings a whiff of Gypsy/Romani music.

[​IMG]

9. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Art Blakey Quintet ~ A Night at Birdland ~ Volumes 1 & 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Marzz, Erik B. and 14 others like this.
  10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Archie Shepp - Fire Music

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marzz, Erik B., JustLust and 15 others like this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

Damn that's a fine album. I fear that the artist and title could keep some folks from missing out on an incredible session. Way more 'inside' and accessible than one would expect. (He said relatively.)

1995 impulse!?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    fingerpoppin, btf1980 and miklew like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

And this too is some fine playing by all involved and yes, it's a Larry Young sesh but Nathan Davis? wow, and Woody Shaw? Woody's an effing monster on this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, Erik B., JustLust and 15 others like this.
  13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Was playing: McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy; followed by Miles Davis - Live-Evil disc 2

Now playing: Dave Douglas - Freak In

[​IMG]

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Malik's albums as a leader and precisely for his Middle Eastern flavors and I don't have this one. There's one other that sounds more Oud oriented that I want, Jazz Sahara on Riverside but I've never seen a copy. I haven't checked online and probably should but I don't do too much of that. It might be worth a gamble.

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Derek BaileyMusic And Dance (Revenant)

[​IMG]

It's raining outside this morning. It seems like the right weather to play this Derek Bailey CD of live "duos" with dancer Min Tanaka. The first half consists of the work called "Rain Dance" which was recorded in an abandoned forge in Paris. As Bailey notes:

"The site of our performance ... was not, in itself, particularly special, but when we played, the environment, as so often with Min, performed a significant role; La Forge had a glass roof, there was a brief burst of torrential rain, the roof leaked = RAIN DANCE."​

jay.dee, Marzz, Carraway and 4 others like this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

In Full Cry: Joe Maneri Quartet

Joe Maneri: Alto, Tenor, Piano
    Mat Maneri: Electric Violin
    John Lockwood: Double Bass
    Randy Petersen: Drums

Joe held a professorship at the New England Conservatory since the 70's and is Mat Maneri's father. He was a major advocate, composer and teacher of microtonalality, using the 72-tet. Very interesting music, both beautiful and unsettling at times. Unfortunately he passed in 2009.

Founder of the Boston Microtonal Society.

One of the most unusual yet beautiful versions of "Prelude To A Kiss" you're likely to hear. Yes, a man and a music of contradictions.
    [​IMG]

jay.dee, Marzz, NorthNY Mark and 5 others like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

It's always nice to find out that you're not the only one who not only owns this but actually listens to it. A performance that demands attention, like a whispered conversation......

18. AxiomAcoustics

Likewise, big fan here. This is an artist that I'd 'curate' if doing a Prestige/New Jazz reissue program ala APO.

This one has some Oud as well and is fantastic if you don;t already have it.

[​IMG]

Loves me some Oud. I'm sure you've checked out Anouar Brahem?

charlesp, Marzz, JustLust and 7 others like this.
  19. AxiomAcoustics

Joey Baron and Michael Sarin on the same album.....what more does one need? Well, the entire lineup is stellar, packed with NYDT stalwarts.

jay.dee and dzhason like this.
  20. [​IMG]

The Book Cooks - Booker Ervin (Bethlehem | Verse) CD

Recorded 1961

[​IMG]

21. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Ben Webster - At The Renaissance
    Ben Webster, tenor sax; Jimmy Rowles, piano; Jim Hall, guitar;
    Red Mitchell, bass; Frank Butler, drums.

[​IMG]

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Chico Freeman, THE PIED PIPER (Blackhawk), recorded in 1984. Chico Freeman (ts, as, ss, b-cl, b-fl), John Purcell (as, bs, oboe, a-fl, piccolo), Kenny Kirkland or Mark Thompson (p), Cecil McBee (b) & Elvin Jones (d). Mr. Freeman was absolutely on fire around this time - he made what I view as an undisputed classic, DESTINY'S DANCE (Contemporary), a couple years earlier and some other real strong ones in the period too like TRADITION IN TRANSITION (Elektra Musician, 1982). This one is a real pleasure from start to finish, and as is typical for Freeman's work covers a lot of ground, from more or less straight ahead, to slowly evolving mood pieces, to intense avant garde. you couldn't ask for a finer group of support musicians, and they do not disappoint. This one is a bit of a sleeper in his catalog, I guess in part due to appearing on the small Blackhawk label run by Dr. Herb Wong (little known outside of California), but it is most worthy of your attention.

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof

[​IMG]

(CD Mercury Nippon Phonogram Japan PHCE 4001-10 ) .... Roland Kirk (ts, fl, manzello, stritch, siren) + Richard Wyands/Hank Jones (p) + Art Davis /Wendell Marshall (b) + Charlie Persip (dr) .... learned to appreciate this earlier Rahsaan Kirk session over the years - the leader holds back showmanship efforts and delves deeply into blues, soul and bop oriented material with superb support by both Rhythm Sections involved .... sensational sounding japanese Nippon Phonogram CD edition from 1990 ....

24. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Listening to this now, too --- November is such a great tune. Great production throughout. Like AxiomAcoustics stated - stellar lineup.

dzhason and DrJ like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Muchly agreed, November is really something stellar. But I really enjoy the uptempo tunes too, they make me wanna play air drums.