The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Just to add, I have the 3 titles on CD (all by "Manufactured Recordings" 2016) - Sound Awareness, Move Ever Onward and Key To Nowhere. Key To Nowhere sounds "best", but all do sound like needledrops to me.

Given that I usually suck at discussing these things I'm happy to say you can hear them, in their entirety, for yourself. FYI the Bandcamp links below sound exactly like my CDs!

"Sound Awareness"
    Sound Awareness, by Brother Ah

and the rest of the catalogue, here...

Brother Ah

Would be interested in what you think :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Electric and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  2. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Art Farmer - Crawl Space

[​IMG]

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    RSD vinyl (2 LPs) edition, Thelonious Monk, LES LIAISONS DANGERUSES, 1960 (Sam Records). Needle dropping the whole thing. Fantastic music and quite excellent sound even though from digital masters. With Charlie Rouse and Barney Wilen on tenor saxophones, Sam Jones bass, and Art Taylor drums.

4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thanx man, appreciate that. I'll check them out. I think going the CD route is the safest bet here, it eliminates at least one potential negative in the questionable pressing plant and in the digital domain they can at least clean-up any nasty sonic detritus from the vinyl source. Bummer, it would be nice to have the artwork in its full sized glory.

Marzz likes this.
  5. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Tubby Hayes and the All Stars - Return Visit! (recorded in NY, 1962)
    Tubby Hayes (tenor sax, vibes), James Moody (aka "Jimmy Gloomy") (tenor sax, flute), Roland Kirk (tenor sax, manzello, flutes), Walter Bishop Jr. (piano), Sam Jones (bass), Louis Hayes (drums).

(Fontana/Universal CD (2005)
    [​IMG]

6. jiffypopinski

Jaco Pastorius - S/T

[​IMG]

Morbius, Erik B., Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Those two on CD I have are from IKEF Records, 2002/3. Key to Nowhere says it's a tape transfer. They sound good to me.

BTW, the cover of the CD I have looks like this. I much prefer it to the other one:

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  8. jiffypopinski

Vijay Iyer & Wadada Leo Smith - A Cosmic Rhythm With Each Stroke

[​IMG]

9. jiffypopinski

Christian Scott - Stretch Music

[​IMG]

10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Come to think of it, last time I tried to play this there was wicked distortion on the guitar tones that caused me to haul my turntable in to my friendly neighborhood hi-fi shop for a tune-up, with attention on the stylus. That was 9 months ago. When this night shift rotation is done I'll pull this one out and give it another spin.

11. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

There is a persistent hum from Jim Hall's amplifier throughout the album.

12. rxcory

Yeah. I should have mentioned I've played it before and never had a problem. That's how I knew something was amiss. I'll spin it this weekend and report back :righton:

13. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Bobby Hutcherson - San Francisco

[​IMG]

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now Playing:

Chicago Underground Trio - Chronicle

[​IMG]

I just got the DVD edition of this album on Saturday and am giving it the first viewing. So far it's a really interesting performance and I'm finding that the video effects are really enhancing the experience.

Marzz, DrJ and Roger Thornhill like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

from

[​IMG]

(CD Warner Music Rhino Records 8122795904) .... revisiting another classic platter from the early 70`s and this box set features a stellar sound - (IMO) most likely the best way to enjoy these recordings nowadays (don`t know the new japanese SHM-CD though)....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I have the SHM-CDs for the Fat Albert Rotunda and Mwandishi albums, they sound pretty great (I don't have any other version of these to compare against though). As much as I like the sound of these two on SHM-CD, I do notice myself giving an "ahhhh" sigh of contentment, though, when I go from playing the SHM-CDs of those two albums to the Speakers Corner vinyl reissue of Herbie's Crossings.

David Ellis and Soulpope like this.
  17. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Continuing on with Bobby Hutcherson

[​IMG]

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Time to try out another new item that came in the mail on Saturday along with the Chicago Underground Trio DVD I was just playing.

Jeff Parker - Slight Freedom

[​IMG]

Marzz, DrJ and Roger Thornhill like this.
  19. rxcory

Best digital is this ^ boxset. Far better than the overly bright HDtracks versions. Best analogue are the original 70's WB LPs, which are not hard to find or expensive. All IMO of course!

Soulpope likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

Rollin' With Leo - Leo Parker (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Dave Burns (trumpet), Bill Swindell (tenor sax), Leo Parker (baritone sax), Johnny Acea (piano), Al Lucas|Stan Conover (bass), Wilbert Hogan|Purnell Rice (drums)

Recorded 1961

vanhooserd, rxcory, btf1980 and 5 others like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Got into a Jeff Parker mood.

NP: Jeff Parker - Bright Light in Winter

[​IMG]

DrJ likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

NP: Pulsar Quartet - Stellar Pulsations

[​IMG]

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now Playing: Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop (Music Matters 33.3)

[​IMG]

NorCal, garrincha, btf1980 and 10 others like this.
  24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Needle dropping this Record Store Day 2017 clear vinyl pressing (Omnivore, originally recorded 1956 and released on Tampa), mastered to perfection by Kevin Gray, all analog chain. One of those vintage mono recordings with tremendous depth and presence.

25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I am still waiting for the official release of the Frankfurt gig (Feb 7, 1987) from the tour supporting the album, with Mick Karn subbing for Tony Levin.

Have you heard the somewhat related Bruford/Levin Upper Extremities (B.L.U.E.) project from the 90s, with (obviously) David Torn and, surprisingly, Chris Botti?

Bruford Levin Upper Extremities - Wikipedia

Their only studio album and, above all, the subsequent B.L.U.E Nights that documented the 1998 tour in its support are an interesting continuation of Cloud About Mercury.

[​IMG]

jiffypopinski and DrJ like this.