The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I have both the MFSL vinyl and SACD versions. They're both a little bright, but the vinyl is a lot better.

rxcory and Gabe Walters like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the old OJC CD of Sahara. I could never really get into the album, and I like many of Tyner's albums. Didn't get the MFSL disc.

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Well looking into this tonight, finally, confirmed for me once again why I should NEVER rely on memory alone in responding to questions like this.

I was reminded that I actually do not even have a CD release of SARGASSO SEA! I was getting confused with the other (somewhat later) Abercrombie/Towner duos album for ECM, FIVE YEARS LATER, which I do have on CD (the 2014 mini-LP sleeve issue - I don't think it had been released on CD before that). Sounds terrific, and if you like SARGASSO, definitely worth picking up.

For SARGASSO SEA, I actually only have it on vinyl (at least I was correct with my remembering there - U.S. ECM/Polydor pressing - sounds good).

My general comment about having mostly original ECM CDs pressed in West Germany holds true - and I have always found those to be nice sounding. Then again the few later ECM issues I have also sound quite good. As do the original LPs I have, whether U.S. or German pressings. Hard to go wrong with ECM in terms of recording and mastering quality.

4. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Thanks for the time & effort doing this as I appreciate it greatly! I found a few German pressed CDs on Ebay I'm looking into so again, Thank You!

DrJ likes this.
  5. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Hi Natvecal., I haven't compared the 2008 reissue of Sargasso Sea, that's part of ECM's "Touchstones" series.

Touchstones

But I have bought at least a dozen of these "Touchstones" to gift to friends (trying to "guilt" them into listening to Jazz :p) of titles I already own in older issues (WG, German and USA). In every case these new versions sound the same as my older (mostly WG) copies. I'd assume that Sargasso would be no different.

Also, fwiw, the new "Touchstones" no longer come with jewel cases. Just a thin cardboard packaging and NO booklet! Worth mentioning in case it matters to you.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    AxiomAcoustics, Natvecal. and DrJ like this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Not a problem, glad to help. Revisiting this helped me too - I realized I really ought to have a digital copy of SARGASSO, one of my long-time favorite ECM titles. I just ordered the 2008 reissue (part of the ECM Touchstones series) - Amazon Prime price of $7.98 was certainly right! As Marzz notes above, no jewel case or booklet with these Touchstone releases but I'm OK with that.

Natvecal. and Marzz like this.
  7. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Yes, prices are great, even down here :thumbsup: Plus, you do get detailed information about recording dates, musicians, etc. Personally, I wouldn't pay more for the older issues, the "Touchstones" are excellent value!

DrJ, AxiomAcoustics and Natvecal. like this.
  8. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Hey Marzz & DrJ, Thanks for the info . If the Touchstones the same master then I'm all in ! Amazon Here I come! Much gratitude for taking the time on this.

DrJ and Marzz like this.
  9. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Jack DeJohnette - Special Edition (1980)
    Jack DeJohnette (drums, piano, melodica), David Murray (tenor sax, bass clarinet), Arthur Blythe (alto sax), Peter Warren (bass, cello).

(ECM)
    [​IMG]

10. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Modern Jazz Quartet - Blues At Carnegie Hall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The Black Jazz label just popped up on my radar and I've been streaming several titles. It's really fantastic stuff. There's a smattering of these releases peppered throughout this thread and yall's posts were on the top of my search to get more info - hence the quoting of the older posts. Anyway, I agree that it's tragic that most releases on that label are hard to come by and that they don't get the attention they deserve.

Henry Franklin's The Skipper is one that I've enjoyed recently.

[​IMG]

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Marc MommaasGlobal Motion (Sunnyside)
    — Marc Mommaas - tenor sax; Rez Abbasi - electric sitar, electric guitar; Nikolaj Hess - piano; John Hebert - acoustic bass; Tony Moreno - drums, percussion

[​IMG]

DrJ likes this.
  13. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Headed to 108 today so staying cool with some Doug Carn even though there's some hot playing from all involved (I should really shut the amps down due to their prodigious heat output but really?). All of these releases have been excellent and sound great.

Doug Carn: Infant Eyes

Doug Carn: Piano, Electric Piano, Organ
    Jean Carn: Voice
    Bob Frazier: Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    George Harper: Tenor Sax, Flute
    Al Hall: Trombone, Valve Trombone
    Henry Franklin: Bass
    Michael Carvin: Drums

Another cosmic slice of Black Jazz from 1971. Includes readings of tunes by Hutch, Trane, Tyner and Wayne Shorter supplies the title track.

[​IMG]

And coincidentally, this happens to be one of the Coltrane tunes.

14. AxiomAcoustics

I've not heard Winter Garden either but have it on my radar. Every time I revisit Sam's discography I'm amazed to be reminded that his debut as a leader (the stunning "Fuchsia Swing Song) was recorded when he was 41 years old! This in a time when many Jazz artists were recording and releasing albums while in their teens. This leads to a discography that leans a bit heavy on the latter part of his career and many of those get neglected or overlooked because they were not part of the "Golden Age". Plus, so many titles were released on tiny obscure labels, making them more difficult to find and harder to stay in the "catalog".

Marzz and DrJ like this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

One of RVG's favorite recordings. That in itself makes it JB worthy.

Marzz, rxcory, macdaddysinfo and 4 others like this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

Wow, always on the lookout for great albums with Hutch on them, and a 31 minute closer looks tasty as hell. So I immediately head to Amazon to see what's available. How about a used CD for $225 :crazy: Since you seem to be neglecting it I'd be happy to take it off your hands :D
    https://www.amazon.com/New-View-Han...501702165&sr=1-4&keywords=new+view+john+handy

I believe this material made it to the Mosaic Select? Which I did not pick up but that set is more reasonably priced than the individual titles.

macdaddysinfo and DrJ like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

I'll vouch for the sound quality of "Sargasso Sea" in the Touchstones series as well, fantastic. I'd also not miss the Touchstones reissue of Colin Walcott's "Cloud Dance" featuring Abercrombie with Walcott/Holland/DeJohnette. Wonderful album and another great sounding title.

Meant to CC @Marzz on this as well. I'm guessing he and DrJ have the Walcott but I wanted to point it out to Natvecal.

Marzz, Natvecal. and DrJ like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Sun Ra, "The Magic City," the new remastered reissue from Mythic Sound. Sounds great.

[​IMG]

19. AxiomAcoustics

You mean "Cosmic Myth"? I was going to ask if this was legit but I see that Ben Young was heavily involved so that answers that. Wish I'd know, it's only $10 and I just placed a big Amazon order a few days ago. On the list.

I've got the original Evidence disc, made any comparisons? Jewel case or digi/mini LP?

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Digipak. Yes, Cosmic Myth, Mythic Sound is a Paudras label and popped into my head. Legit and sounds great. I can't compare to the Evidence right now as that's in my storage unit, but clearly this is a different sounding animal in a good way. My Brother the Wind Vol. 1 is coming soon.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  21. AxiomAcoustics

Andrew Cyrille & Bill McHenry: Proximity

Andrew Cyrille: Drums & Percussion
    Bill McHenry: Tenor Sax

What a wonderful surprise this was. I'm familiar with both musicians (especially Cyrille, of whom I'm a big fan) and love duet albums in any fashion, but this is just a fantastic album, musically and sonically. It's very grounded in the blues, very "open" and spacious in the musical delivery, both men listening closely and truly conversing. Cyrille spends a good amount of time with his snares thrown off and this brings an earthy tribal vibe to things. The album ends with Andrew saying: "To be continued". We can only hope there's a sequel to this. Highly recommended!

[​IMG]

22. AxiomAcoustics

Excellent, I'm a sucker for digi's and mini lp's with good artwork, and they take up less space. There's some decent production info for this on the discogs page and it sounds like they really did their homework. Here's hoping for a continued series.

For those into rekkids this is also available on vinyl at a reasonable price. Although, I could find no cutting/pressing info anywhere. May

23. AxiomAcoustics

Can anyone comment on this album, in any version? I'm familiar with all the musicians, including the leader, but have never heard the album. It's been reissued AAA by MPS so it should be as good as can be sonically.

[​IMG]

Details:

Features:
    • 180g Audiophile pressing
    • Analogue remastering (AAA)
    • Gatefold
    • Liner notes, remastering information and a picture of the original master tape box inside
    • Made in Germany

Musicians:
    Albert Mangelsdorff
    Don Cherry
    Elvin Jones
    Karl Berger
    Attila Zoller
    Lee Konitz
    Wolfgang Dauner

24. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Remembering Fela who died today 20 years ago.

[​IMG]

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Love this record. Carn on Black Jazz sold a lot of records. Outselling top names in jazz.