The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Joe Harriott Quintet: Jazz For Moderns

Joe Harriott: Alto Saxophone
    Shake Keane: Flugelhorn, Trumpet
    Pat Smythe: Piano
    Coleridge Goode: Double Bass
    Bobby Orr: Drums

Recorded at St. Hilda's Studios, Maida Vale, London, 1962. Original session produced by Terry Henebery for the BBC and never before released until this Gearbox 45RPM limited edition of 500. A great sounding date and pressing containing two Harriott originals and two killer Dizzy Reece covers: Shepherd's Serenade and Variations On Monk.

Paired with a Bourbon barrel-aged Double IPA @ a robust 12.4%.

[​IMG]

2. Nice coincidence, while I was digging the Free Slave I was checking out his discog and found out about this (relatively) new duets release. Played some samples and it sounds excellent. I like the spoken intoros on some of the tracks as well. Unfortunately new copies are quite pricey. Need to do some digging.

3. Six String

Six String Forum Resident

My copy is a cd from CDJapan. It kept coming up in my Weston searches there and I decided to take a chance even though with the great artists involved it wasn't that risky. ;) The beginnng of side one features Weston with a spoken intro and side two has Don Pullen doing the same where he talks about his time with Brooks in the Mingus band. The music is really excellent imo. The recordings were made over several years in the 1980s fyi.

WP Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away (Blue Note) 47 W63rd dg mono

NP Charlie Parker - The Genius Of Charlie Parker (Savoy) silver on red dg mono

rxcory, Jackie P, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  4. Thanks for the CDJ mention, new copies via Amz are $60. Is it the same Enja release or is it a Japanese reissue? Too bad there's no Geri Allen spoken intro. :sigh:

5. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!

[​IMG]

6. Six String

Six String Forum Resident

It's a Japanese Enja.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

I'm not really a CT fan but I do sort of enjoy the BN albums. How's that for a qualified endorsement?

btf1980 likes this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Fat Cat Big BandMeditations On the War For Whose Great God is the Most High (Smalls Records)
    — Jade Synstelien: guitar, compositions, vocals; Phil Stewart: drums; Ben Meigners: bass; Jack Glottman: piano; Sharel Cassity: alto saxophone; Stacy Dillard: tenor saxophone; Geoff Vidal: tenor saxophone; Tatum Greenblatt: trumpet; Brandon Lee: trumpet; Jonathan Voltzok: trombone; Max Seigel: bass trombone

[​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to James P. Johnson - Harlem Stride Piano 1921-1929 - Hot'n Sweet (France)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Grant Green: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Grant Green - guitar
    Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone
    Larry Young - organ
    Elvin Jones - drums

Recorded at Rudy's March 31, 1965. Everything about this album, from the title to the track listing to the cover smacks of Grant Green-lite but don't be fooled, just look at that lineup, which is more telling than anything else. Excellent exploratory readings and hot playing abound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  11. No love for that early Transition/Contemporary/Candid material eh? Some of his most grounded and 'traditional' work.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've listened several times to this CD and, while I acknowledge JPJ's importance, every time it fails to hold my attention; there's also some (to my ears) mediocre stuff on the CD. I'm still not sure whether or not to get the JPJ Mosaic.

13. Mark Dresser: Unveil

Mark Dresser: Solo Double Bass

A little 'low end theory' .........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Marzz and scompton like this.
  14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wadada Leo Smith's Mbira – Dark Lady of the Sonnets (TUM Records)
    — Wadada Leo Smith (trumpet, flugelhorn), Min Xiao-Fen (pipa, voice), Pheeroan akLaff (drums)

[​IMG]

15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Forum Resident

Interesting. I've never really listened to that album, figuring that it would be too much "Grant Green Lite" as you put it. I actually never even noticed the lineup. I'll check that out.

16. vanhooserd

I must admit I have only heard the record with Coltrane of the earlier stuff.

17. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

Gave this a spin earlier tonight

[​IMG]

18. Pants Party

Pants Party Forum Resident

Wooden Joe Nicholas

[​IMG]

19. vanhooserd

Good album. I love the arrangement of the title tune, but there are places where Elvin seems to stumble a bit. I've always heard a certain clumsiness at times in his playing & been charmed by it, but on "I Want To Hold Your Hand" I wonder if more takes were in order. (Not something I often think about a BN recording.)

20. Lee Morgan: Tom Cat

Lee Morgan – trumpet
    Curtis Fuller – trombone
    Jackie McLean – alto saxophone
    McCoy Tyner – piano
    Bob Cranshaw – bass
    Art Blakey – drums

Recorded at Rudy's on this day, August 11, 1964 but not released until 1981 with different cover art from this Audio Wave version. This was shelved due to the popularity of Morgan's "The Sidewinder" as Alfred and Blue Note searched for another hit. (Speaking of "Search", that was delayed as well, just not as long.) We always decry the "majors" for hit seeking but no one was immune. A ripping session with great sonics on this version. Surprisingly still available, don't miss it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  21. When I first saw your quotage I thought it was going to be about the Doom :laugh:

I did the same thing for years with this one and one day I heard a track on a local terrestrial radio station and really dug it so went in search immediately. Granted (spontaneous pun) it's not "advanced" but it's an enjoyable and engaging listen.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  22. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Forum Resident

Agreed. My personal favorite Morgan set as well as one of the best of the Yoshida XRCD series. :thumbsup:

Erik B. and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  23. Agreed. Elvin frequently had tempo flubs and missed changes, far more frequently than most drummers of the era, almost as though he was not paying attention. There are times when you can actually hear him trying to force the band into his 'thing' when it doesn't quite gel then comes back around to the ensemble groove. He's one of the titans of the kit, no question, and one of my favorites and I speculate that had these 'charms' not been present he would not be the Elvin we love.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    vanhooserd likes this.
  24. Hey, you and @vanhooserd look too much alike anymore, can't keep you straight. :winkgrin:

vanhooserd and Bobby Boogaloo like this.
  25. Definitely check out "Jazz Advance" and "Looking Ahead" if you get a chance. Classics.

Marzz and J.A.W. like this.