The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Just picked up an original promo copy of Blue Mitchell Boss Horn today, never heard it before, so far I'm diggin' it!

[​IMG]

2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

The only LP version of Madlib's jazz output that I've heard is Shades Of Blue. I was half expecting it to sound exactly like the CD, but I find that it's a nice upgrade. The mastering is excellent and my pressing is great.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  3. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks for posting that!

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I love the Two Lloyd Miller albums I own and I love santur.

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

It sounds fine to me.

6. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think that painting is the perfect representation of how I visualize Ascension in my mind's eye.

I've noticed at my local record store Alice Coltrane and various other artists under the Superior Viaduct label and Cosmic Music is especially well finished in a tip-on gatefold and is pressed at RTI. A good buy for my 26 bucks. Also there is a Jazz Dispensary of Joe Henderson & Alice Coltrane The Elements I've had my eye on.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I finally got a car where you can hook up a flash drive to the stereo. I was listening to Chet the other day, and thought that I should make up a flash drive with the complete works of Chet (I do have a lot!) just for driving. That should send me around the world at least twice.

[​IMG]

Erik B. and Jackie P like this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thanks man, this is good news, I'll have to grab one of these to give it a try. This music just seems 'right' on wax.

Yer, most welcome. Interesting to see a little slice of Iran in the 60's/early 70's with total acceptance of that dreaded Western Jazz fusing with Persian musics and women hosting and interviewing men on Television. :eek:

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

Same here, I've always wanted to incorporate the Hammered Dulcimer into my bag (as many drummers seem to do) but have never taken the plunge. Afraid it's too visually intensive, at least at first.

10. AxiomAcoustics

Man, thanks for mentioning that Henderson/Coltrane! I had it on a wish list ever since it was announced and of course it got buried. Now, it's seemingly tough to find. I wouldn't wait on that copy at your local considering.

The JD thing is quite confusing but I believe it's a project of Fantasy, sort of like Craft, who did that Monk/Trane set. Also looking forward to that Gary Bartz NTU Troop.

Morbius likes this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I have the Shades of Blue and one of the Yesterday's New Quintet albums on vinyl (the one with a black and white cover) on vinyl. I also have YNQ's Angels and Angles (or whatever it is called, haha) on Cd. I haven't listened to the vinyl in a while, although I was just streaming the both of these albums a little the other day while away from home. I remember being happy with them though. I also have two of the Misled Children's albums on vinyl (People's Market and Meet Odean Pope) ((these are on Porter Records)). I don't know anything about Misled Children, I sort of assumed it was an alias of Madlib, but I have done no research into them and this assumption could be completely off base. If you haven't heard those, and you like Madlib, I'd recommend them. Although, I imagine that folks as well versed in various music such as yourself and the other good folks here have probably heard it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    johnnypaddock likes this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

:doh: I've been meaning to grab the Misled Children album with Odean Pope! Thanks for the reminder. I've been a fan of Odean for some time but have not heard any Misled Children otherwise. Dig:

Sounds like the Stones Throw vinyl is worth a shot, two positive comments.

13. AxiomAcoustics

An album I just can't seem to get enough of. I really wish Jackie had continued on this path.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, that's the one with Odean Pope, I love that first track. I'm over due for a listen to that one and need to remedy that one soon.

I just got this one last week, I went on a serious Music Matters bender and ordered 11 records all at once, and this was one of them. My soul was like :love: but my wallet was like :faint: :rant:. Looking forward to tearing into it soon.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Tlay likes this.
  15. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Larry Young in Paris

[​IMG]

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Is that your room? If so, I was looking for an image on google to post the other day and, there weren't many images of the album in question, but one of the images near the top of the results had those AP posters in the background. I didn't choose that one because I thought it might be odd for the person to whom the room belonged to scroll through and see a post of their own room coming from someone else.

17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Kenny Dorham - 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Being familiar with Joshua Abrams from the Sticks & Stones album with Matana Roberts, and probably a few other recordings I don't recall off the top of my head, I ordered the following album back in June after seeing it mentioned in this thread. It finally arrived today!

Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Simultonality

[​IMG]

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was checking this out over the weekend a little (or may be it was last weekend :nyah: ), I'd really like to get it; when I was looking at discogs, there didn't seem to have been very many printings of it. Of course, pretty much anything can be had in this day and age.

Voltaire and johnnypaddock like this.
  20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Air - Air Lore
    Henry Threadgill, tenor sax/ alto sax/ flute; Fred Hopkins, bass; Steve McCall, drums & percussion.

[​IMG]

Tracklist
    1 The Ragtime Dance 9:20
    2 Buddy Bolden's Blues 9:30
    3 King Porter Stomp 3:52
    4 Paille Street 2:20
    5 Weeping Willow Rag 11:31

21. The CD version of Jutta Hipp At The Hickory House Vol. 1 was a Japanese RVG edition. I was more than surprised when I noticed it last week listed at a bargain price by an online seller. Now to find a copy of Volume 2!

Voltaire likes this.
  22. Over the next week or so I hope to listen (again) to all the great music spread over all 11 discs in this clunky, budget priced box set

[​IMG]

His Prestige / New Jazz Albums - Eric Dolphy (Prestige|New Jazz/OJC)

* just noticed on the front of the box, below the logo, the 'restige trademark!

[​IMG]

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

One of the great Blue Notes from the 1950s.

hvbias, cds23, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  24. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Yup, that's my room. :cool:

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does this box set include EVERYTHING on the first Dolphy box? My guess is not, missing at least the sideman stuff from Prestige. But were there extra outtakes from these LPs on the first box?