The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The set only includes the Prestige Dolphy albums; I don't know if any outtakes are included that were not on the albums. I have the early Prestige Dolphy set, with all the dates he appeared on.

2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Needed something to brighten the morning after my wife was rearended by a local cop last night who was driving a gargantuan Canyonero replete with cattle-catcher on the front. She seems to be OK, here's to good old-fashun German metalwerk!

So, what better to spread some cheer than with a little of Kirk's own werk? Tete and Klook only elevate the proceedings. Bright Moments.

3. AxiomAcoustics

Good stuff eh? I believe that was my previous post you are referring to. Did you get the version shown above or did you get a repress? Odd that it took so long to arrive. I recently received an email from eremite stating the following about this record. Thinking of grabbing that one as well.

eremite has repressed mte-68, joshua abrams & natural information society's simultonality, in an edition of 610 copies. screenprinted sleeves & dust jackets on the new edition substitute red or metallic turquoise ink for the green ink on first edition copies. first edition labels were off-set printed, second edition labels are screenprinted in gold ink with revised artwork. insane, as usual. outstanding RTI pressing.

to our friends in brick & mortar, the second edition will soon be available from eremite's distributor forced exposure, who sold out of their allotment of the first edition in two weeks back in april. to our mail order customers, the final first edition copies are available direct from eremite. email or message me if you place an order & prefer the second edition, otherwise you'll receive the first, while supplies last.

4. AxiomAcoustics

Let's see that's.....mumble mumble, scribble, carry the five....somewhere between $550 and $1000 depending on the titles. I must admit I just received a brace of boxes yesterday from ED and AS containing wax that falls somewhere withing that range as well. All Jazz except for the new MoFi Garcia/Grisman, which is a real treat.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

The Chase Is On - Charlie Rouse & Paul Quinichette (Bethlehem/Solid) CD
    with
    Charlie Rouse & Paul Quinichette (tenor sax), Wynton Kelly & Hank Jones (piano), Freddie Green (guitar), Wendell Marshall (bass), Ed Thigpen (drums)

Recorded 1957

Remastering by Toshiyuki Abe, CD courtesy of Japanese reissue project/Verse Music Group.

I love this album, presented here in superb sound. It is a wonderful session and one well worth tracking down.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Glad she's OK!

Canyonero - smells like a steak and seats 35!

johnnypaddock and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

:agree: That's exactly it, although that trim level does not have the cattle-catcher on front. Thanks for the good vibe, our vehicle is not happy but you should see the other guy.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Next up, the AP SACD for convenience. Plus it includes the 2 bonus tracks, applied properly at the end of the original program. Man I love Grant in a trio setting.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Erik B., jiffypopinski and 7 others like this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, it's awesome, I just ended up ordering the CD though. I ordered 1st from Amazon (I.e. Handled by amazon and not a reseller); I think I waited close to 2 months and sort of forgot that I had ordered it until they sent an email asking if I still wanted it. I said yes, but waited a while longer because I called them and they insisted it was still going to ship. Waited a couple weeks more and cancelled, forgot to reorder, then was placing an order for some Grateful Dead Dick's Picks when I Amazon was kindly suggesting it to me so I reordered. It still took almost 3 more weeks to arrive (almost 3 weeks longer than the GD items). But, at least it came finally, I like it a lot.

10. There is a 9.25 minute alternate take of Bee Hive added to Eric Dolphy At The Five Spot [Vol.1]

There are no other alternate or bonus tracks included/listed in the budget box edition.

J.A.W. likes this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I prefer not to think about the overall price :laugh: . I will say that I was going through the remaining items on Acoustic Sounds and MusicMattersJazz.com looking for remaining 45s that were not marked up, and ordered most of them from AS using the 20% off coupon code (I love that thing :love:), so it was on the lower end of the range you mentioned.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think it is really unfortunate that they did not make the box an effective update and include all of the key Dolphy sideman albums from Prestige. Sure, charge a little more, but do it right. Was this just a direct transfer of the sound of the earlier Dolphy set, or a significant sound upgrade?

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

WP: Lee Morgan - Vol. 3 (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

NP: Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  14. AxiomAcoustics

Next time order directly from Ehlers at Eremite. It's a one-man operation so that makes a big difference to his efforts to keep this going. He does Paypal and will even take a check. Fast(ish), decent packaging etc. I think you'll want the LP of that album though. It's a labor of love with hand-pulled screening etc and a nice pressing from RTI. All have been good really. He's got the Jeff Parker too, which I believe you dig.

15. AxiomAcoustics

So, One Step Beyond, another DID (desert island disc) for me. Further to our MM pricing discussion: Were you able to do any better than $75 no discount on that one?

16. AxiomAcoustics

Brotzmann/Adasiewicz/Edwards/Noble: Mental Shake

Peter Brotzmann: Alto & Tenor Sax
    Jason Adasiewicz: Vibraphone
    John Edwards: Double Bass
    Steve Noble: Drums

Recorded live at Cafe Oto in London, Aug 12th 2013. Excellent set by one of my favorite latter-day Brotz projects. His relationship with Adasiewicz has really come to fruition giving the very earthen-toned proclivities of his sound an otherworldly, intergalactic vibe while still being able to dig into the tundra as well. In fact, this starts off on the plains of Africa with Brotz on Tarogato conjuring Vodun spirits and Noble on tribal toms (as he often likes to do) as the "rhythm section" creates an ever intensifying trance-inducing thunder below (hoof beats?) that slowly morphs into a free-bop romp into the darkening sky, eventually wrapping up with a bluesy coda as they reach their "destination out" and return home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the ole cinder block at the bass drum trick. ^^^^^^

17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

That was one of the items I ordered directly from MM as it either wasn't available or was more expensive on acousticsounds; it was $50.

Oh, and yes, it is a fantastic album. I think I'd have to tack it on to a list somewhere to make it one of 30 albums in my top 5. :laugh: (I never realized that was possible until hanging out in the Grateful Thread were most people have at least 10 different Dark Stars in their top 5).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Felt like playing something I haven't played in quite a while. I wouldn't really post this here since it isn't really jazz, except for the 3rd track, "Öngyilkos Vasárnap", utilizes samples of pretty much the entire vocal track of Billie Holiday's reading of "Gloomy Sunday" set to a 7/4 glitchy drum and bass sort of thing.

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  19. I never had a problem with the sound on any original Original Jazz Classics CD, and that includes the few stand alone Eric Dolphy OJC CD titles I already had prior to getting hold of the budget box.

I'm pretty sure all discs in this box are exactly the same as the individual titles that were issued previously on the original Original Jazz Classics CDs. The only difference may be the Universal logo is on the printed side of the CDs.

One very positive aspect with this box is you are not running the risk, or have to worry about unknowingly purchasing any secretly issued Eric Dolphy OJC CD-Rs.

J.A.W. likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

Essais 'd Andre Hodeir by the Jazz Groupe de Paris (Swing/Legacy) CD
    with
    Jean Liesse & Buzz Gardner (trumpet), Nat Peck (trombone), Jean Aldegon (alto sax), Bobby Jaspar (tenor sax), Armand Migiani (baritone sax), Fats Sadi (vibraphone), Pierre Michelot (bass), Jacques David (drums).
    Arranged and directed by Andre Hodeir
    Original issue 10" Swing LP
    Recorded 1954

As a bonus the CD also includes another 10" album originally Swing LP
    [​IMG]

Musique de films par Andre Hodeir (Swing)

This recording features the Tony Proteau Orchestra, including musicians Don Byas (tenor sax) & Kenny Clarke (drums)

Recording arranged and directed by Andre Hodeir
    Recorded 1953 (booklet indicates some tracks may be from 1949)

This excellent CD is included in Sony's 20 CD Box Jazz on Disques Vogue

For anyone missing out on this disc it was also re-issued in 2017 as a single CD on Sony's Jazz Connoisseur series.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Marzz and Soulpope like this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

Ahmad Jamal Trio: The Awakening

Ahmad Jamal – piano
    Jamil Nasser – bass
    Frank Gant – drums

Recorded at Plaza Sound Studios February 1970. Listening to the impulse! CD and mulling the new "Be With Records" LP reissue as shown in this pic. Has anyone checked this out yet? They expend a lot of copy on the "luxurious gatefold" and "eye-catching graphics" and, let's not forget the "reassuringly weighty 180g" pressing :rolleyes: but only mention "sensitive" mastering by Simon Francis. I'm sure it's ADA at best. But, if it's a tasty presentation.......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Marzz, GeoffC, jiffypopinski and 4 others like this.
  22. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah, MM has the best price on that one. I'm assuming that the ones you are getting from MM directly are not numbered?

I too have a rotating roster of favorite Dark Stars. Often the one being channeled at the time. I'm always looking for the monster 30-50' versions but of course that does not always ensure excellence. Current fave: Philly 9/21/72. How intriguing is that?

Erik B. and dzhason like this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I don't believe I've received a numbered one in a while; maybe occasionally when ordering from acousticsounds.

I just got Dick's 36 (I believe that's the release with the show you mentioned) a month or two ago, I like that Dark Star but I've only listened to it once so far so I'm not terribly familiar with it. IIRC it goes into what they call the Mind Left Body Jam at some point.

24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Curtis Fuller - The Opener (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Charles Mingus - Mingus Dynasty, original 6-eye stereo vinyl. Play grading this one, what a great sounding pressing. No vinyl reissue that I've heard can match its tonality.

[​IMG]

alankin1, Marzz, Erik B. and 8 others like this.