The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Art Tatum and Ben Webster

One of the great moments in jazz when Ben Webster makes Art slow his roll and play All The Things You Are at a slower than normal tempo and the way Ben makes the melody sing instead of it being just a head to get to the blowing session which the tune normally becomes.

[​IMG]

2. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    Don't know that one, glad you mentioned it, plus it's at a special price! Too easy :cool:

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  3. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Sam Rivers - A New Conception (1966)
    Sam Rivers (tenor sax, soprano sax, flute), Hal Galper (piano), Herbie Lewis (bass), Steve Ellington (drums).

(Blue Note)

[​IMG]

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Great outing from 1977!

Cecil McBee ‎– Alternate Spaces
    India Navigation ‎ IN 1043 CD

Saxophone – Chico Freeman
    Trumpet – Joe Gardner
    Piano – Don Pullen
    Bass – Cecil McBee
    Drums – Allen Nelson
    Percussion – Famoudou Don Moye

[​IMG]

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Henry Franklin - The Skipper at Home
    Black Jazz/Snow Dog Records SDGBJ1217

[​IMG]

6. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Leo Records is having another Sale of the Century until 31 December, so I finally went ahead and ordered the three Anthony Braxton standards sets for a bargain £10 per set (£15.15 incl. shipping to EU).
    Great music.

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You're right - he's not. I messed up the personnel on that list badly. It's Lacy and Cherry, Carl Brown and B. Higgins. Need to give the right people their due b/c the rhythm section on this one certainly cooks!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Bill Evans Green Dolphin Street

Marzz, charlesp and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Gerry Mulligan Night Lights from 1963 on CD.

With Art Farmer, Brookmeyer, Jim Hall, Bill Crow & Dave Bailey. Pretty much a desert island disc here. Beautiful music. Not sure you can really go wrong with personnel like this. After digging that Mulligan Emarcy Mosaic set I had streamed this release and loved it as well. Finally was able to pick up a copy in the used bins recently.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Post-Mulligan, played this one:

[​IMG]

Jarrett, Motian and Peacock At the Deer Head Inn

Pretty much a trio recording but there seems to be an uncredited musician on the kazoo who comes in sporadically. ;)

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sonny Rollins Trio – Aix-en-Provence [from Live in Europe 1959 - Complete Concerts] (Essential Jazz Classics)
    — Sonny Rollins (tenor sax), Henry Grimes (bass), Kenny Clarke (drums)

[​IMG]

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bil Evans - We Will Meet Again (WB) light brown label
    Bill's trio were joined by Tom Harrell and Larry Schneider on trumpet and reeds respectively.

Cactus Bob, Carraway, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Thelonious MonkLive at the Jazz Workshop — Complete (Columbia/Legacy)
    — With Charlie Rouse (tenor sax), Larry Gales (bass), Ben Riley (drums); 12 unreleased tracks, plus 3 unedited performances; recorded live in performance at the Jazz Workshop, San Francisco

[​IMG]

Ben Riley, 1933-2017, RIP.

14. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Touche!
    :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Cactus Bob and Marzz like this.
  15. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Just purchased Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine In Concert," and John Coltrane's "Coltrane" the other day.

16. AxiomAcoustics

That's a new twist for this trio, with the addition of trumpet as well. If you are ordering from CF I think you'd enjoy the previous 3 volumes as well. Not many sax-led trios these days and this is a hot band. I believe I've commented on a few volumes if you search the thread.

17. AxiomAcoustics

I really dug those first two as well, made for great late-night sessions and not bad for setting the mood, IYKWIS. He looks and sounds as though he never stops firing those blunts.

18. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah, I think the Blue Note/Roost set is more overall consistent but that Verve box has it's wonderful moments. Do you have any thoughts on the RCA Trio set?

I was not sure abut Proper but something told me they were not, shall we say, proper even though the set seems to get lots of praise. I only posted that one because it sounded better than the other videos.

19. AxiomAcoustics

Through Davidson?

Marzz likes this.
  20. AxiomAcoustics

At least you know someone is reading this stuff ;) I really dig this record and when I read the lineup I thought it was only Higgins and my copy was within reach so I had to double-check myself since it easily could have been Charles. Look back at what I ended up listening to afterward. Your "mess up" led me to then pull up Charles' discography, which is far too small, and when I saw the Cecil Taylor gig at Newport (the LP is shared with Gigi Gryce) I had to pull that out for a listen. Funny how these things happen.....

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You mean the Essential Jazz Classics trio set? It's another European public-domain label that has no access to original sources like mastertapes and takes its material from existing CDs, LPs and what have you. Avoid in my opinion. Better get the RCA/Sony Legacy CDs Swingin' with Bud and Strictly Powell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  22. AxiomAcoustics

One of my favorite and first Jarrett trio albums. The setting and sound is so intimate and real and allows you to really transport to the space in which it was recorded, like the Blue Note set. Plus, the imagery of the liner notes and cover art really helps. I've been to this club years back. I much prefer these small club settings over the hall and arena concerts that the trio (with Jack) would soon be playing exclusively.

Maybe that's Phil Lesh on the Kazoo? :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah, I missed that, as I was looking at the discog my first thought was that it was a legit release under the RCA moniker like the BN set. Better to find the individual releases it seems.

24. Bobby Buckshot

I'm still listening to this at the moment. You're right on the intimacy of the sound. Although I'm surprised at how traditional the playing has been so far, like in the Bill Evans mold (which there's the connection with Motian here). I haven't listened to a lot of Jarrett, but for whatever reason I expected something a bit different based on what I've streamed before. At about the middle of You Don't Know What Love Is it sounds like they begin moving in the direction I expected and I've really enjoyed that change of pace.

25. AxiomAcoustics

Notice though that many of the tracks are in the 9-13' range, far longer than the typical Evans M.O. YDKWLI is one of the nest tracks but if you sit with this they really do go to some interesting places along the way. That Byard tune is great and that 11'+ opener of Miles' "Solar" is mesmerizing.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.