The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Wow, someone actually reads this stuff! :) How did you do? I went early as well, about 7. No lines and an almost empty store knocked me out. The April RSD had me in line for 2 hours. Got everything I wanted, except for the Sun Ra, and some things I didn't think I wanted. Will check elsewhere for the Ra tomorrow. (P.S> Beware the Rollins.)

2. AxiomAcoustics

Marzz and Santo10 like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

4. AxiomAcoustics

Sorry to hear about the Rollins man. I almost gave in to it today as an "impulse!" buy :) But mustered the strength to put it back because, while it was mastered by BG it was pressed at URP. Which immediately raises suspicion. My recommendation? Take it back and pay a little extra for the Analogue Productions version, it's surprisingly still available.

I did get the Clark and Wes, along with the Ayler, Creach, USA, etc. Really dug the Wes earlier, forst LP. Helluva package. What number is yours? I've got #249 and 250.

Morbius and WorldB3 like this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

Tom Fowler was a Mother too!
    :biglaugh:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    musicarus and Cactus Bob like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, I have that one, but the poster was specifically asking for a CD. The SACD does have a CD layer, but, as you said, it's quite pricey, that's why I didn't mention it. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Sonny-Clark-...d=1511576071&sr=1-8&keywords=sonny+clark+trio

There's one cheap copy, but that's missing the booklet.

8. AxiomAcoustics

I'm trying to get rid of some 'un-Gnostic' holiday guests. Starting with this. If it doesn't work, on to the Albert Ayler.

[​IMG]

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Talking about Sonny Clark, I'm probably in the minority, but to my ears his recordings with larger groups and as a sideman are more interesting than his trio output, where his playing is not as imaginative - again, to my ears.

Marzz likes this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:laugh:

Grachan Moncur III usually does the trick, but Albert Ayler is a good, if not better alternative. Pharoah Sanders' solos with Coltrane also work fine - so does later 'Trane himself, of course :)

AxiomAcoustics, Marzz and MagicAlex like this.
  11. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thank you for the mention of the CD editions. I purchased a 2017 re-release from Japan on Solid Records(?).

What non-trio Sonny Clark recordings are your favorite?

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Dial "S" for Sonny – Blue Note; 1957 recordings
    Sonny's Crib – Blue Note; 1957 recordings
    My Conception – Blue Note; 1957 and 1959 recordings
    Cool Struttin' – Audio Wave (XRCD); 1958 Blue Note recordings (the complete session)
    and especially:
    Leapin' and Lopin' – Blue Note; 1961 recordings

13. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thanks again @J.A.W. Any favorite sideman appearances of his?

14. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I was able to grab a copy of the Sonny Clark and just finished playing it, love it!

I avoided the Rollins after I heard who pressed it and wanted to wait for reviews. The Montgomery seemed really pricy so I will wait for the CD unless the reviews for the vinyl are glowing as the store has a few more copies.

As it's Mill Valley and Marin the owner said the Garcia Side Trips sold out in the first 15 minutes. I didn't even know he opened 4 hours early until I drove by at 9 am (usually opens at 11) while running errands. I grabbed the last Sonny Clark and stoked to have it.
    [​IMG]

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

King Mutt And His Tennessee Thumpers
    Good Time Mamma [Frog]

[​IMG]

Glorious. Another fantastic Frog release. Really more of a compilation of various artists -- gritty, zany hot jazz. Trippin' out to the Kansas City Tin Roof Stompers at the moment.

17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Mine is #412 but have yet to listen to it, still working my way through the Sonny Clark. LP one of The Time Sessions really left an impression on me. Think I might revisit it before I move on to the Wes Montgomery album.

AxiomAcoustics, mktracy and Santo10 like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

There's a recent Solid Records reissue cd that has many alternates and sounds quite good.

fatwad666 likes this.
  19. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Well, it's the day after Thanksgiving so I thought that I'd go ahead and get the ball rolling with this delightful selection of Christmas tunes from merry ole' Duke Pearson & company. What's on your holiday playlist?

Duke Pearson - Merry Ole Soul
    Blue Note TOCJ-9559

Piano, Celesta – Duke Pearson
    Bass – Bob Cranshaw
    Drums – Mickey Roker
    Percussion – Airto Moreira

1 Sleigh Ride
    2 Little Drummer Boy
    3 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    4 Jingle Bells
    5 Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    6 Go Tell It On The Mountain
    7 Wassail Song
    8 Silent Night
    9 O Little Town Of Bethlehem

[​IMG]

20. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thank you, Lonson! I ended up picking this version. Looking forward to hearing it.

Lonson likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bobby Timmons has a Christmas album titled Holiday Soul on Prestige that I can recommend. It's a trio setting and the solos will make you forget you're listening to holiday music until they return to the theme. My kind of Christmas album.

Bobby Buckshot and macdaddysinfo like this.
  22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

hmm.. thinking I might go back and grab the Wes Montgomery, the reviews seem to be very positive.

Morbius likes this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes, the Wes is very good. I've only listened to it once and really enjoyed the performance. The bass player is low in the mix but that is pretty typical for the time with live performances. It may also have a little to do with the sides being a bit long but not having heard the master tape it is only a guess.

NP George Mraz - My Foolish Heart (Milestone)
    A trio with Billy Hart and Richie Beirach. I have three or four cds with Mraz as leader and they are all worthy of the shelf space. I love his tone and his intonation is very good too.

Soulpope, AxiomAcoustics and WorldB3 like this.
  24. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Went to the local shop to get “vibrations” and walked out with this, too:

[​IMG]

$4 impulse buy based on Jaki Byard ftw!!!

25. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Just took the dog for a walk to the record store to see if there was still a copy of the Wes available. Had to grab it based on the glowing reviews. Will post my thoughts later after I get a chance to play it.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.