The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics Relaxin' On The Axis

Thanks for hipping me to that Coffey! I somehow missed it and now find out that it was an RSD vinyl release last year. Looks mighty tasty.

Bobby Boogaloo likes this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

For we hockey fans I believe this would be a "Hat Trick".

Morbius likes this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

Damn! Technically they were: Puttin' It Together :D Thanks for that, only wish they panned back a bit to capture more Elvin during the tune, after all it was his trio. And Jimmy burns it down.

For those wanting more (and who wouldn't?) that tune and tour support comes from the following album, IMO Elvins finest and his debut on BN. (The title is misspelled on the viddy, it's "Sweet Little Maia", a tune by Jimmy, natch.

[​IMG]

Soulpope, DrJ, btf1980 and 10 others like this.
  4. Seriously folks, how many records did Jim Hall cut in Japan and for Japan only?

There are truly amazing ones available to hear on Youtube, like Jazz Impressions of Japan... Live In Tokyo... both from one of his peak periods IMO, and also another one yet I can't remember the title of, which was more easy listening, strings laden and not much to my liking (little boy carrying an umbrella on the front cover). JIOJ apparently has never even been available on CD!

So did he record any other ones over there? The first two titles I mentioned feature Don Thompson on bass and Terry Clarke on drums, my favorite rhythm section for Jim!

Marzz likes this.
  5. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

I always thought (assumed) those were the only Japan dates, at least with Thompson and Clarke.
    But, though not recorded in Japan, you may like "Commitment" (released on Horizon Records), recorded just before those Japanese dates and again with Don Thompson and Terry Clarke! I agree with you about them, btw. :thumbsup:

Jim Hall - Commitment

The good news is that all 3 have been released on CD, fittingly in Japan, at least twice. The latest issues are very cheap too.

CDJapan : Search result by ( jim hall ) OR "jim hall"

Edit: I see that "Jazz Impressions of Japan" is showing as out of print, but it should be easy to find.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    ParloFax and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

I think Hall's JIOJ gets short shrift because of a much better know album of the exact same title, plus, it plays like an EP at only ~10' per side:

[​IMG]

DrJ, vanhooserd, Cactus Bob and 6 others like this.
  7. Thanks for this!

I do have Commitment and I love it!

Marzz likes this.
  8. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Yes, great point and you reminded me! The latest CD version of Jim Hall's "Jazz Immpresions" has extra tracks and is now at least LP length (approx. 40 minutes) :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  9. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Mary Halvorson Octet - Away With You (2016)
    Mary Halvorson (guitar) with Susan Alcorn (pedal steel guitar), Jonathan Finlayson (trumpet), Jon Irabagon (alto sax), Ingrid Laubrock (tenor sax), Jacob Garchik (trombone), John Hébert (bass), Ches Smith (drums).

[​IMG]

DrJ, alankin1, jiffypopinski and 5 others like this.
  10. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

11. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Herb Ellis meets Jimmy Giuffre (1959)
    Herb Ellis (guitar), Jimmy Giuffre (tenor sax, baritone sax), Art Pepper (alto sax), Bud Shank (alto sax), Richie Kamuca (tenor sax), Lou Levy (piano), Joe Mondragon (bass), Stan Levey (drums).

[​IMG]

DrJ, vanhooserd, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Well-Known Member

Miles Davis was such a prolific artist there is always something new to explore.
    Miles Davis - E. S. P.
    Miles Davis, trumpet; Wayne Shorter, tenor saxophone; Herbie Hancock, piano; Ron Carter, bass.
    (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs 45)
    [​IMG]

DrJ, btf1980, vanhooserd and 8 others like this.
  13. Jackie P

Jackie P Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ashes To Ashes - Joe Sample (Warner Bros.) CD

Recorded 1990

Not one for lovers of 60s & 70s (Crusaders) funk but still worth a listen.

Mastered by Doug Sax and presented in stunning sound quality

DrJ, Cactus Bob, GeoffC and 2 others like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

John Coltrane: With The Red Garland Trio (aka Traneing In)

John Coltrane – tenor saxophone
    Red Garland – piano
    Paul Chambers – bass
    Art Taylor – drums

Recorded August 23. 1957 in Hacky Sack. Coltrane's third but lots of room for Paul Chambers on this one.

[​IMG]

btf1980, vanhooserd, BluTom and 9 others like this.
  15. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

Elvin Jones - Dear John C.

[​IMG]

DrJ, Dziga, Cactus Bob and 10 others like this.
  16. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Marzz, DrJ and 10 others like this.
  17. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Forum Resident

Kenny Wheeler - Deer Wan (24/192 High Rez)
    1978, ECM

[​IMG]

Voltaire, Marzz, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  18. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Listened to samples of this on iTunes and enjoyed them, so ordered the CD and now waiting for it to arrive.

[​IMG]

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sonny RollinsWhat's New [CDs 1b/2a on The Complete RCA Victor Recordings box] (RCA Victor)
    — With Jim Hall (guitar), Bob Cranshaw (bass), Ben Riley (drums) plus Candido or Dennis Charles, Frank Charles & Willie Rodrguez (percussion) & background singers; "Don't Stop The Carnival" originally issued only on the French release.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sneaky Pete, Marzz, DrJ and 12 others like this.
  20. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Forum Resident

Wasn't on my radar at all until I got that Resonance comp Jazz Haunts & Magic Vaults (comp with a Bill Evans pre-order). Same with the live Hubbard. Those tunes they included on that sold me big time.

21. AxiomAcoustics

Can anyone who has experience with the set comment on it please? Fred Kaplan's rview in Stereophile when it was originally release is very positive and states that the sound, recorded direct to 2-track, is "stunning". This was recorded 3 years after those great VV live sides and I don;t belive I've herad any of this material. Last copies seem to be around, and Pure Pleasure has it for 150# or about $200 USD, Elusive has it for $250. Seems reasonable considering that individual PP titles are $35.

Features:
    • Limited Edition
    • Pressed at Pallas in Germany
    • Audiophile Re-Mastering
    • 7 180 Gram Vinyl Box Set
    • 16 Page Booklet with new notes by Alun Morgan and four interviews with Art Pepper by Les Tomkins from 1979, 1980 & 1981.
    • 17 Performances Previously Unavailable
    • Includes all the tracks released on the two Mole Jazz LPs: Blues For The Fisherman and True Blues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Even those who do not have this particular set, how was the music being played by this band at the time?

Soulpope and DrJ like this.
  22. AxiomAcoustics

That comp sounds cool. Let me know on the sound of that Hub, the samples sound a bit didgy but the setlist looks tasty.

23. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah man, he's been pretty active on the music scene here in Orygun and Greg Goebel plays locally quite often, nice to see him pop up here :thumbsup:

GeoffC likes this.
  24. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Forum Resident

Oh it's dodgy sound-wise that's for sure - at least the track on that comp is and I have to think the rest is the same...but the groove is there. I've certainly heard worse, but it's not bad enough that I wouldn't give it repeated listens (Coltrane's Inner Man is one like this, great music and playing but SQ effects how many time I return to it).

25. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>