The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Seikatsu Kojyo Iinkai - S/T

[​IMG]

Japanese free jazz from 1975. Features a young William Parker on bass and drummer Rashid Sinan who played on Frank Lowe's ESP classic Black Beings. Here is a very brief excerpt:

2. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Well-Known Member

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT:

For those of you interested in cool and West Coast Jazz from the 1950s and 1960s, you might want to check out my weekly jazz program… Jazz from the Left.

Core artists include… Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Red Garland, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Chet Baker,
    Bobby Troup, John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond and others from this (imo) timeless sub genre.

It airs on about 20 stations in the US and a few overseas. The originating station is PRP.fm, 99.1 here in Portland where it airs twice on Sundays. It's also broadcast on shortwave through WRMI in Miami.

Check it out. Let me know what you think at: jazz from the left at Gmail.com.

I'm in the holiday mode right now and this week's program is one of my favorites… Cool jazz for Christmas.
    Next week is a replay of the most requested songs. These are not typical of the way the program usually sounds. Regular programs resume in January.

Marzz, Bobby Boogaloo and DrJ like this.
  3. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

An old favorite from Blue Note, in its Music Matters 45 rpm 2 LP incarnations mastered by Steve and Kevin Gray:

[​IMG]
    A simply GIGANTIC album, one of the most compelling and exciting "inside-out" dates of the era. When the solo section of "Passion Dance" first kicks in, swinging like mad after the life-affirming statement of that regal opening theme, it gives me goose bumps every time - the very essence of jazz. You just KNOW you're in for quite a ride, and the rest of the album fully delivers on that promise. Joe Henderson and Elvin in their absolute prime, great compositions, and yeah, Ron Carter, not exactly a slouch! And it is quite impressive that McCoy was able to make such a strongly individual statement, reflecting what he'd learned with Coltrane but ultimately sounding very different than that imposing body of work.

Picking my favorite Blue Note recording is very hard, but this one would certainly be in my Top 10, up there with equally compelling dates like UNITY, POINT OF DEPARTURE, OUT TO LUNCH, and a few others.

The other thing to comment on is just how much better this LP pressing sounds than any prior release. Unfortunately this just never was one of RVG's better sounding original recordings - it's all a bit grainy and squashed and with quite a bit of overloading on some of the instruments, especially Elvin's kit - but this is likely to be as good as you'll ever hear it sound. MILES better than the CDs, certainly. Don't know how it was done, but Steve and Kevin managed to work some magic here, folks.

Essential.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Maseman66, alankin1, Isamet and 13 others like this.
  4. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

You said it, my friend. One of Evans' very best.

alankin1 and Jackie P like this.
  5. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

Gotta pick that up, one of the few Rouse dates as a leader I don't have. Glad to know about it!

Maseman66 likes this.
  6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Eric Alexander & Vincent Herring - 'Friendly Fire: Live At Smoke' (2012)

Erik B. and fingerpoppin like this.
  7. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Forum Resident

John Coltrane - Blue Train

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

For a cold and windy December afternoon.

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring
    Bill Evans, piano; Eddie Gomez, bass; Elliot Zigmund, drums.
    (Music On Vinyl 33.3)
    [​IMG]

9. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Music Matters 45 rpm 2 LP edition. Sublime sound, and one of Byrd's best. It's one of those albums that just sounds effortless, and is chock full of great playing. In one way it reminds me a lot of Hank Mobley's SOUL STATION album, starting off with a nice mid-tempo swinger and never looking back, but of course with a bigger front line (and what a wonderful one it was). Byrd and Pepper Adams were a dream team.

10. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Shunzo Ohno Quartet - Falter Out

[​IMG]

Smokin' early fusion joint from Japanese trumpet player Ohno, who would go on to drop some killer albums for the East West label. This is a really creative recording with nods to Miles and Herbie but with several choice hard bop tracks for good measure. Top reissue for 2017!

Marzz, DrJ, jay.dee and 1 other person like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

13. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

And now for something completely different.
    A question to all the jazz nuts out there.

Does anyone have any experience with that big bunch of Verve / Polgram two fer ones issued between 1977 and 1980?

This must have been a BIG reissue program, because there are so many of them.
    So far as I can tell, virtually all of these were mastered at Masterdisk, by, wait for it, a Mr. Robert Ludwig.
    Though interestingly, he gets credited on the jackets, but the deadwax is always GK for Gilbert Kong, HW for Howie Weinberg, etc.
    The sound on the ones I've cleaned and played so far has been very good.

Weird is also, the running order on all the original albums has been completely changed.
    It looks like whoever did it reordered the tracks in chronological order. Ie., put them out on the reissue in the order in which they were recorded. Novel, but it makes sense to me. I like the way it was done with the two Ben Websters, "Tenor Giants" and "Ballads".
    Though with others, particularly with the Billie Holiday, three issue set of two LPs each, it gets really confusing.

Here are some of the issues I've accumulated to date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

smilin ed likes this.
  14. James_S888

And for the Billie Holidays, now these get really confusing once you start looking at the running order. And then the original issues of where all the tracks came from. Downright weird.
    But it looks like someone took some real trouble in chronologically ordering all this stuff.
    I'm asking myself what tapes they used? If they actually got the masters to create the production tape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. James_S888

And this is one that actually got its first release in this series:
    Johnny Hodges, "the smooth one".
    It was originally intended for release in 1961 but never released. Though apparently test pressings were made.
    Again, Bob Ludwig credited with the mastering. My copy has Masterdisk GK in the deadwax. So I'm guessing Bob Ludwig was overseeing Gilbert Kongs work.

[​IMG]

16. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

I have this one

[​IMG]

effectively it states inside mastered by Robert Ludwig at Masterdisk, mine is a French pressing but there's none initials in the dead wax

17. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

I got the stormy blues one, same, French pressing, RL is credited inside but nothing in the dead wax

18. James_S888

Yeah, I have a French press of Ben Webster / Coleman Hawkins, "Tenor Giants".
    [​IMG]
    Deadwax is the usual printed French mastering information. All nicely printed in.

More interesting though is the US press of Tenor Giants, which is all handwritten. but no RL. And interestingly, also no "Masterdisk".

Presumably the French got a copy of the tape to do their own run.

Unlike "Jazz at the Philharmonic, the historic recordings" for example
    [​IMG]

With a very nice "MASTERDISK" printed into the deadwax.

It's weird, some of them do, some don't.....

19. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

I have a few of these. They're OK. Despite many (all?) being done by quality mastering engineers, sonically to me they're just decent, nothing too great. They lack warmth - kind of bloodless and flat, though certainly not offensive in any way.

I'm speculating here, but I wonder if they used solid state mastering chains for these LPs, given the time period they came out, rather than all-tube vintage chains like the best remastering engineers tend to do nowadays in audiophile issues of jazz from this vintage? This is music that to me needs glowing glass to sing!

Generally I find many CD reissues (early Verve/Polygrams often, mastered by Dennis Drake) typically best these LPs for sound, even though those aren't perfect either.

All just my take, of course, YMMV.

But that said, these LPs are unequivocally a good cheap way to explore some great music, they often pop up in good shape for very little in the used bins around Northern California (well in the few brick and mortar stores left!). And nowadays even some of the CDs, which used to plentiful, are getting scarce.

The chronological ordering approach sounds like Michael Cuscuna's approach, that's how most Mosaic boxed sets are arranged, and some other reissue producers do the same.

20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Forum Resident

Donald Byrd - Royal Flush
    The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/ Pepper Adams Studio Sessions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  21. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

The Definitive Vince Guaraldi.....2CD SET

DrJ likes this.
  22. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

This album is what got me into Jazz this year!

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Great set, though to my ears the sound is only so-so; I have the XRCD of one of the albums in the set and Japanese Blue Note Works and a couple of later Japanese CD releases of the others, and the set sounded compressed in comparison.

fingerpoppin and DrJ like this.
  24. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

Straight ahead stuff here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

25. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Marta Sánchez Quintet, DANZA IMPOSIBLE (listening to the FLAC file download version from Bandcamp on my new [used] Bryston BDA-1/BDP-1 combo; this is also apparently available on a Fresh Sound New Talent CD). Picked this up today, Sánchez's latest, after hearing Kevin Whitehead's review on NPR and being pretty spellbound by the samples he played. This is instantly appealing stuff, modern and inventive but I think likely to be immediately accessible to all but the most close-eared listener. Not sure who Sánchez was most influenced by in her development, but I hear parallels in her compositions with Herbie Nichols and even Andrew Hill at times, though as a pianist, she's more linear and fundamentally lyrical than either of those giants, and quite under-stated.

Sánchez has an excellent multi-cultural group of players with her, all now based in New York: Roman Filiu alto sax (Cuba), Jerome Sabbagh tenor sax (France), Rick Rosato bass (Canada), and Daniel Dor drums (Israel). They impress for how much they play as one, and support each other, without a hint of showiness or artifice. This moves the music forward immeasurably, keeping the focus on Sánchez's brilliant, slowly unfolding pieces, and the arrangements, with lots of close harmonies for the saxophonists - who tonally meet in the middle - at times sounding so so much alike, it's as if they're both playing the same hybrid horn, pitched somewhere between an alto and a tenor.

The recording quality is quite good, intimate and vivid, though as with so many contemporary jazz recordings it sounds like a bit of compression has been added at the mastering stage, at least on some tracks - utterly unnecessary for music of this kind, if so.

Anyway this one comes highly recommended, I haven't been this smitten by a new jazz recording since cellist's Tomeka Reid's S/T debut a couple years back on Thirsty Ear. This would be a particularly great recording to check out for someone who loves mid-'60s Blue Note dates by artists like Hancock and Hutcherson and is looking for current material in that general lineage.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Marzz, MagicAlex and Bobby Boogaloo like this.