The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

The lack of midrange bloom might be a system dependent thing. The Webster and Holiday that I‘ve cleaned and played so far are very nicely balanced overall. No, they are not as good as the 45 rpm AP or ORG reissues but on my system, they sure beat the originals :)

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Forum Resident

The Classic Quartet - Complete Impulse! Studio Recordings

Box Set

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

Maseman66, smilin ed, pitro and 9 others like this.
  3. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

4. Chriss Ons

Chriss Ons Forum Resident

Charlie Parker - "Bird" Symbols, Japanese 1978 reissue
    Overseas Records– KUX-99-V / Charlie Parker Records – PLP-407

[​IMG]

5. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

You mean the original LP pressings? Can't comment on those as I don't have them, will take your word for it.

I have an all-tube system (including a vintage power amp) with plenty of mids conveyed when they are present. There are OK mids on these LPs but they just don't match the newer reissues you mention, I agree. Ludwig/Masterdisk had a rather "dry" approach to jazz remastering in general.

6. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

RCA had some of the best recording engineers. A lot of the recordings on this sound like they could have been recorded in the last 10 years. Great vocal presence. You can almost smell the gin on his breath.
    [​IMG]

7. DrJ

DrJ Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Jimmy Heath Orchestra, REALLY BIG! (recorded in 1960 and originally a Riverside LP). These Keepnews Collections CDs, mastered by Joe Tarantino, sounded great, no exception here. And this is one of Heath's finest recordings of the era, with a group including Nat Adderley cornet, Clark Terry trumpet and flugelhorn, Tom McIntosh trombone, Dick Berg french horn, Cannonball Adderley alto sax, and Pat Patrick (long with Sun Ra) on baritone sax, Tommy Flanagan or Cedar Walton piano, and brothers Percy and Albert on bass and drums. Five star material!

8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, the newer reissues, the 45s are great.
    The Speakers Corner Verve reissues I find a bit of a mixed bag. The ones mastered by Kevin Gray at wherever are excellent. The sound on those certainly beats these late '70s two fers. Not surprising given the mastering chain he has.
    The Speakers Corner Verves mastered locally at Emil Berliner Studios in Berlin from tape copies I find not so good.

I would agree, Masterdisk took a rather dry approach to these, although I find the ones I've played so far really well balanced overall. Great sound, chronologically ordered. I find the track order actually makes more sense on these than on the originals. I find it a bit disjointing sometimes on the originals jumping from one recording session to another, months or even years apart.
    I like tubes too. Mine is all triodes.

9. Jackie P

Jackie P Forum Resident

Still checking out this box set I picked up in the bargains late last year...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Complete 1970s Epic Albums Collection - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) 7CD

CDs 5 & 6

[​IMG]

I Wanna Play For You - Stanley Clarke (Epic/Legacy) 2CD

Recorded 1977-1979 & featuring at least 25 other musicians.

CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

I have only just heard this live double live album and was disappointed with the music on CD1 because it reminded me of what I disliked most about the Modern Man record and it seemed to continue in the same musical manner with it's inclusion of various styles (rock, disco, vocals, etc).
    Disc 2 was a bit more appealing with some reasonable live versions of previously recorded studio pieces that can be found on the first 3 studio albums included in this box set.

10. Jackie P

Jackie P Forum Resident

The 7th and final disc from Stanley Clarke's The Complete 1970s Epic Albums Collection

[​IMG]

Stanley Clarke Live 1976-1977 (Epic/Legacy) CD
    with
    Stanley Clarke (electric & acoustic bass guitar, piccolo bass guitar), Al Harrison / James Tinsley (b flat trumpets / flugelhorn), Bob Malach (tenor sax), Alfie Williams (soprano sax), Peter Robinson (fender rhodes electric piano, B-3 organ, arp string ensenble, mini moog bass), Raymond Gomez (electric guitar), Gerry Brown (drums)

also including
    David Sancious (electric piano - 3 tracks), John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar - 1 track), Darryl Munyungo Jackson (percussion - 1 track)

CD Legacy edition mastered by Mark Wilder

A third live album from the box! This one however is the business! All superb music played by basically the same group of musicians plus the fact fact there are no vocals, and no attempts at disco, helps considerably, plus the music itself is much more focused than the previous 3 discs. Like the first 3 albums in the box this is, without any doubt, well worth having.

All discs in this box sound very good and all relevant recording info is included in a 20 page booklet.

* This is the only album in the box that was never issued originally on Nemperor Records

11. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

First records played in 2018: Freddie Hubbard - The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard + Hub Cap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Michael Cosmic - Peace In The World / Phill Musra Group - Creator Spaces (3CD Set)

[​IMG]

13. Jackie P

Jackie P Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Extrapolation - John McLaughlin (Polydor)
    with
    John Surman (baritone & soprano sax), John McLaughlin (electric & acoustic guitar), Brian Odges (bass), Tony Oxley (drums)

Originally released 1969 on Marmalde LP

14. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

This is one of McLaughlin's essential albums. The music is great and the sound on the original Polydor CD is very good. But the Marmalade LP betters it.

jay.dee likes this.
  15. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Ahmad Jamal - The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions 1956–62

Oscillating between discs 2 and 3 late at night. What a great set from Mosaic. This is the first release I've been able to purchase directly from them (blame my youth — wish I could've experienced the label's heyday). Glad to have such supreme music at hand.

[​IMG]

pitro, AxiomAcoustics, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  16. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Forum Resident

The Complete Modern Jazz Quartet Prestige & Pablo Recordings
    Discs 1 & 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

As Dr. J mentioned you can find these in the used bins in good shape for cheap so if your looking fill gaps in your collection it's a good way to start.

I have a few I cherish because it opened my ears to some great stuff. I discovered Wes Montgomery via the Verve twofer of Smokin' at the Half Note, I discovered the great Mulligan and Konitz set via the twofer that also has Mulligan and Getz. Best of all I bought the twofer that has the Getz and Bill Evans recordings which is ok but it the second slab of vinyl contains one of my favorite albums of all time in Stan Getz - Sweet Rain.

18. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Charles Earland - Leaving This Planet Love this one, especially Joe Henderson's solos.

[​IMG]

19. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter - Wayning Moments

CD reissue on Koch. Recently picked up Shorter's first three Vee-Jay releases (as well as The Young Lions) through CD reissues on Koch and Collectables. Surprised these four albums don't get mentioned as often as his classic Blue Note releases. I understand why they might not (his Blue Note leader dates are obviously a high mark), but wonder if it's also because they seem to be less ubiquitous. Exciting to hear some early compositions of his.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Soulpope, pitro and 6 others like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Those Vee Jay albums, Introducing Wayne Shorter, Second Genesis and Wayning Moments, were recorded early in Wayne Shorter's career (1960-1961), before he went to Blue Note. They are included in the now OOP Mosaic set The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Sessions, which also included Lee Morgan's albums Here's Lee Morgan, Expoobident and The Young Lions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    alankin1, pitro, fingerpoppin and 3 others like this.
  21. Jackie P

Jackie P Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Currently reading and thoroughly enjoying Ray Celestin's excellent book Dead Man's Blues which is set in 1928, Chicago. The book very cleverly incorporates King Louis into the storyline. This prompted me to revisit all those amazing and historic Hot Five & Seven recordings, many of which were cut in 1928...

[​IMG]

Hot Fives and Sevens - Louis Armstrong (JSP) / 4CD Box

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  22. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus on Candid CD

With Curson, Dolphy & Richmond. Folk Forms no. 1 is pure blues funk, at least to my ears, with no chick-boom from Richmond and some fiery exchanges between Curson & Dolphy. I think the sound here is way ahead of its time.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Could you please elaborate (see bold)? I had the Candid CD and the sound wasn't good, the stereo mix is awful. I'm glad I got the Mingus Candid Mosaic set years ago, which has the mono mix and sounds much better.

24. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

Oh, I mean "sound" as in the music being played, not the sound quality.

SQ ain't good on the CD and certainly isn't ahead of its time. You're absolutely correct about the hard-panned stereo but I missed the Mosaic set and I've yet to find one I can afford.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Bobby Boogaloo likes this.