The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Jazz Maverick! - Jack Teagarden (Roulette/Warner) HM-CD

Recorded 1960

A great 9 track selection on this one with 4 vocal led tracks and 5 instrumentals.

HM-CD 24 bit remaster issued as part of Warner Japan's Jazz Masters Collection 1200 series.

2. Time for another musical treat with The Duke reworking some of his earlier classics.

[​IMG]

The Popular Duke Ellington - Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra (RCA Victor/Legacy) CD

This Sony Jazz Connoisseur CD edition also includes 2 tracks from the box set The Duke Ellington Centennial Edition: The Complete RCA Victor Recordings.

Recorded 1966

"Re-issue produced and prepared for release by Daniel Baumgarten, with special thanks to Michael Panico & Che Williams".

vanhooserd, alankin1, btf1980 and 9 others like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Compared a couple of tracks on the CD layer of the hybrid SACD and the 1988 McMaster CD of Ike Quebec's Blue Note album Blue and Sentimental and preferred the latter, it's not as laid-back as the former. The recordings were made in 1961. Personnel: Ike Quenec (tenor saxophone, piano), Sonny Clark (piano on 1 track), Grant Green (guitar), Paul Chambers (bass on 7 tracks), Sam Jones (bass on 1 track), Philly Joe Jones (drums on 7 tracks) and Louis Hayes (drums on 1 track).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Are the US RVG remasters the same as the Japanese RVGs?

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have the Pure Pleasure LP and I can also recommend it. My first copy of this album was on CD, but I no longer have that disc and haven't heard it in many years. In general I have been pleased with all of the PP Jazz reissues I've purchased. One thing that can be confusing with them though is that they sometimes use a stereo label on the record itself but the LP cover, old catalog number, and master tape source itself are in Mono. Not a big deal to me, it's just confusing because I like to hit the mono switch for mono LPs before dropping the needle.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Going for an all-Horace day today. First was Song For My Father by Silver (McMaster CD), next up was On The Spur Of The Moment with Parlan (Yoshida XRCD).

7. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Rudy Van Gelder CDs - "RVG Edition" vs. "24 Bit By RVG"

According to this post by @J.A.W., he states that "The early Japanese RVGs and their U.S. counterparts have different masterings. Later Japanese and U.S. RVG series have the same masterings."
    I wonder what the cutoff / distinguishing point is where the masterings become the same.

I hope to hear all the RVGs someday, both JPN and US. I like the idea of hearing them all at least once, even if I didn't enjoy a few of them.

MagicAlex likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Regarding Horace Silver, did he ever record a full trio album? Discogs is all over the map with his material so it's tough to really tell. The trio tracks on Song For My Father are excellent. Just wondering if there are more, or do they just pepper his other releases in the same way?

Also, which Horace Parlan trio record would be the consensus one to get? I only have quintet material (and side-man like Ah Um).

9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Cheers !!
    [​IMG]

10. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I just picked up a used copy of this on vinyl (volume 1).

Apparently there was a slight problem with the master tape that makes the music sound a tiny bit distorted.

Great playing though from Morgan, Shorter, et al.

Bobby Buckshot and fatwad666 like this.
  11. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Another find at a record swap. Pretty cool stuff from Gil and the "Jazz Electronauts."

[​IMG]

12. I love the Mambo King vibes on this one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voodoo Suite plus Six All-Time Greats - Perez Prado - Shorty Rogers / Orchestra (RCA/BMG) CD

Artists featured include - Perez Prado (leader), Shorty Rogers, Bill Regis, Maynard Ferguson, Pete Candoli (trumpets), Bud Shank (alto sax & flute), Shelly Manne (drums)

The 23 + minute Voodoo Suite track was recorded in 1954. The remaining Six All-Time Greats tracks all recorded a year later.

13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Had another listen to this today, it has got to be one of the most tightly produced Blue Note's I've ever heard! RVG's recording is impeccable and Grant Green's fingers are magic and who are Ben Tucker and Dave Baily? These guys don't miss a trick throughout the whole album, the call and response on Green With Envy is uncanny. I believe its a masterpiece.

WorldB3, Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and cds23 like this.
  14. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thank you for the response. Helpful to know what I'm hearing may not strictly be due to the mastering.

Great find with Tome VI! Love everything I've heard from Mellé.

15. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Another record swap find.

[​IMG]

alankin1, Soulpope and patient_ot like this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Right Off Yesternow :cheers:

[​IMG]

Were you guys able to get this tasty 'brew' in Portugal? I used to use the empties in my record racks to fill open spaces but now that there's none left they have been relegated to the book cases. They did a Robert Johnson and Grateful Dead release as well.

btf1980 and Spadeygrove like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

I'm curious about this as well. I've read on this forum posts by members noting how much better the "Japanese" RVG's sound as compared to the US versions. I find it odd that Rudy would remaster all of these titles twice for two different markets. What criteria would he use for each? (OK, this is for the Japanese market so I'll not boost the top end so much and back off on the compression ratio.) I've not heard any of the Japanese models but have plenty of the US models and agree that they are a mixed-bag. Some are fine and listenable and others are gawdawful. One thing I do like about them though are the new liner notes: A New Look At...... And the new pix.

fatwad666 likes this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

[​IMG]

RE: Parlan. I really like "Happy Frame Of Mind". It's got Booker Ervin, 'nuff said. A little more adventurous than his normal releases. Most of his BN albums are worth getting though. Check the AW XRCD's for sure.

Edit: On Silver...I've said it here before but I'm a major Roger Humphries fan, so check all his work with Silver. Especially "Cape Verdean Blues". Wish they had worked together more frequently.

19. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

The Japanese RVGs are a mixed bag as well. Some really sound crap e.g. Lee Morgan's Lee Way. Sounds like AM radio!

Many of the early US RVGs (those with the slip cover) that I bought sound good e.g. Andrew Hill, Ornette Coleman, Kenny Burrell, etc. I don't have the later ones but many people dislike them.

During the early days, people used to trash the McMasters, calling them thin and bright. Funny how things change. Now they are the favored remasterings. I bought many of them when they first came out. Thought they sounded fine and never replaced them except when I found a nice original vinyl copy.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

Got 'em both - Spur & Speakin' - of which I'm listening to Speakin' now.

Shame the AW XRCD's are now dead in the water as Turrentine's Look Out! has that Parlan trio backing him (recorded just one month before Speakin'). Been on preorder status for years now. I see that Tommy Turrentine's record on the Time label was recorded in March of '60 and Parlan was on that too. The guy was killing it that year.

21. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Duke Ellington - The Complete 1936–1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions

Glad to be hearing this.

[​IMG]

22. AxiomAcoustics

PSA: Studies by the AMA (Ax's Musical Assessment) have shown that whether your day is rainy and grey (like ours), snowy or sunny, this will make it better.

23. [​IMG]

The Wailing Dervishes | Recorded Live At The Village Theater - Herbie Mann (Atlantic) CD
    with guest artist

Rufus Harley (Bagpipes)
    &

Reggie Workman, James Glenn, Steve Knight
    (Bass), Bruno Carr, Billy Abner (Drums), Roy Ayers (Vibraphone/Vibraharp), Moulay "Ali" Hafid (Goblet drum), Chick Ganimian (Oud), Hachig T. Kazarian (Clarinet), Oliver Collins (Piano), Esber Koprucu (Zither)

Recorded 1967

24 bit remaster CD issued as part of Warner Jazz Best Collection 1000 series

I have been after this wee gem in a while now and am well pleased to get hold of a copy at last. The CD sounds excellent and the music is all very hip and trippy - just like the sleeve suggests it might be. Another high ranker from the Mr. Mann!

24. AxiomAcoustics

I'm very familiar with the McMasters but did not know they were considered bright initially. I believe the "thin" issue, like some of the SACD's, is from a lack of, or less compression/limiting, which leads them to require and respond better to more gain (aka: crankable) without them getting loud.

But I'm still interested in knowing why there would be two different RVG masterings of the same material for the Japanese and US markets.

fatwad666 likes this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

There you go, bringing up those damn missing XRCD' again. :sigh: That Tommy T album is definitely worth getting if you do not have it. There is an Audio Fidelity SACD available for ~$20 that is an SH mastering job.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018