The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

This looks pretty boss. Vibes and oud on the same gig? Sold.

Edit: I go to Scamazon, find the CD for $10.99, cool. Click on it and get something completely different. All the others are stupid money. And there's one at the bottom listed as an "Audio Book".
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...g+dervishes&rh=n:5174,k:the+wailing+dervishes

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Got it! I think I picked it up for like $10 on a sale somewhere. Looks like that Parlan Mosaic CD set can be had for around $70 which is an attractive price.

3. AxiomAcoustics

I think I got a similarly sweet deal but did not want to mention it because I could not find it but I see now that ED has it for $15. That is a good deal on the Mosaic but I believe you may have about half the material already. There are also a few Music Matters titles avaiable as well, including a nice trio date in US3 and the one I mentioned earlier, initially released under Book's name as a BN twofer.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Clifford Brown Sextet In Paris, 1953
    I love Clifford Brown
    [​IMG]

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If I remember correctly (it was discussed on the long defunct Blue Note Bulletin Board many years ago) it was done to cater for different tastes in the US and Japan. I had a lot of those mini-LP JRVGs (as they were called back then) and found them even worse than US RVGs - but, again, I'm biased, I don't like RVG remasters :).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  6. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....at work and it’s pouring rain outside.

Now playing- Charles Mingus Oh Yeah (Original Atlantic CD)

7. AxiomAcoustics

Looks like Brownie is speakin' today!

johnnypaddock likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Interesting. So this was the same general RVG campaign produced by Cuscuna but rather than the jewel cases used in the US releases they were housed in mini-lp's?

This does answer what I was wondering; if there was a concerted effort to do things differently for the two markets. I wonder who made those decisions and directed Rudy in the two different masterings? And what would the Japanese Jazz fan want differently from the US Jazz fan?

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They were. There were two different campaigns, though, the Japanese released not the same albums at the same time and, if I'm not mistaken, more albums than US Blue Note (EMI).

Michael Cuscuna.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Christian Scott - Collection (2014)

[​IMG]

11. Bobby Buckshot

Looking at that Silver Trio date, and it looks like this was the only time he ever recorded a full album's worth (or at least 10" record worth) in a trio setting - or is there something else? What's interesting is that it was early 50s and he never returned to it, instead appearing to prefer quintets, etc. I wonder if he ever explained why that was his preference.

Hey, Cape Verdean Blues is another one of those XRCDs!

12. AxiomAcoustics

AFAIK that is all there is but I could be worng. Interesting that you ask that question because I believe that I have heard/read his explanation as to why this was the case. IIRC it had something to do with his preferred style of playing and composition. Afterall, he was a prolific composer as compared to some of his peers. I'll try to find the source when I get a chance. (Caught up on the "Trane" right now.)

If you no gts the Cape I'd recommend getting it toots sweet, it sounds absolutely fabulous. One of RVG's cleaner recordings.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

NP: Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright

[​IMG]

Speaking of XRCDs, I don't have any and was just ordering some yesterday to give them a shot. Out of the 7 they had available on importcds.com (they had a bunch for ~$21, instead of the usual $30 I was seeing elsewhere), Dexter Gordon's Doin' Allright and A Swingin' Affair were 2 of the 7 that I had in my cart, but at the last moment I felt like I shouldn't spend so much (I had just ordered the day before: 17 SHM-CDs from CDjapan:tsk:; broke down and finally ordered the Music Matters of A Song for My Father [because I originally wanted to order Shades of Red and needed another item to put me over for the free shipping :doh:]; and ordered the Billie Holiday Complete Columbia set :love:,and a few items from Intakt Records through Amazon), and removed the two Dexter Gordon discs from my cart. Having listened to both of those albums today, I now realize the error in my ways. Now I'm scratching my head wondering if I should get the Music Matters of these two Dex albums or the XRCDs. :nyah:

Marzz, jiffypopinski, btf1980 and 9 others like this.
  14. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

That‘s certainly true. However, so many RVG releases are so awful, that I have long decided to avoid anything that bears the RVG label. There‘s so much stuff to buy anyway, and all the really important albums seem to be remastered sooner or later anyway.
    Does anybody know what the exact story behind the RVG releases is? I mean, did Rudy van Gelder actually remaster all of these, or did he just rent out his name? Too many of these sound like he might‘ve been standing in front of the studio having a cigarette or something.
    Re. Two different masterings for the US and Japan: If both are mastered by the same person, how likely is it that the japanese version sounds better every single time?

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Bobby Hutcherson - The View From the Inside

[​IMG]

Marzz, jiffypopinski, rxcory and 7 others like this.
  16. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Stan Getz ~ Focus
    Verve, 1961

[​IMG]

17. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Jack DeJohnette - The DeJohnette Complex

CD reissue on OJC. Into DeJohnette's melodica playing. Surprised to only just hear of this album recently — enjoyed it quite a bit.

[​IMG]

18. AxiomAcoustics

I agree there's certainly so much to buy, between vinyl and digital, and between reissues and new releases, and that's just in "Jazz". However, I must disagree on the RVG's and the complete avoidance thereof. I would never want to discourage any Jazz explorer, and especially someone new to the music, to not buy and experience a particular album just because it's an RVG. They may not all be great but they are somewhat ubiquitous and reasonably priced and with the influx of CD-R's from other Jazz labels these days I think it's more important for someone to hear the music than avoid it. Once they decide they dig it they can then go looking for better versions. (I'm not trying to defend them and wish they had been done differently.) Nor would I discourage someone to not buy, say Coltrane's "Complete 1961 Village Vanguard" box because it's a Labson. The music is too good and too important. Plus, I don't think that every "important" album gets remastered, that's a bit subjective anyhow isn't it? Especially when it comes to CD/SACD releases. There are dozens of titles, most of them falling into the more adventurous side of the Blue Note catalog, that have not been done in any format like SACD or XRCD. I personally have been so caught up in recent years with trying to keep up on all the audiophile vinyl and SACD reissues from the likes of MM, AP etc that I have not gotten to pursue the Japanese market. As you said, there's just "so much stuff to buy". :)

RE: RVG editions. Everything I've read and seen points to him as doing the actual work. I can't see Rudy allowing his name to be credited to something he did not do, doesn't seem to be his character, for better or for worse. He claims (claimed) full responsibility. I have theorized elsewhere on this forum that one possibility could be his hearing. He started this campaign when he was 75 (!?) and after being in the studio for 50 years with all manner of horns, brass and drums he surely had to have some serious loss to at least the top end of his hearing. Engineers make judgement on what they hear (and see with DAW's these days) and if he was not hearing enough top-end he would EQ things to bring that region out more prominently. In addition, if it's harder for him to hear details and softer passages....reach for the compressor. All these mastering moves would make it easier and more pleasant for a 75-85 year old to listen to these albums. And don't forget, Michael Cuscuna was the producer, so he could have always influenced things if he did not like what was happening.

That's exactly what I'd like to know. Some folks think there's a huge difference, others not so much.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  19. AxiomAcoustics

Not to mention Jack's melodic playing.

20. AxiomAcoustics

Nice to see someone mentioning Intakt.

I'd get the MM's and the XRCD's. Then you're covered for any situation.

dzhason likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

And that's exactly what he did after the earlier RVG series. RVG had narrowed the stereo albums to such an extent that they almost sounded like mono - when I first heard them I thought they actually were mono. Cuscuna thought RVG had overdone it and asked him to leave more "space" between the channels.

It was alleged that the thought behind the RVG series was to use RVG's fame in jazz circles (and maybe beyond) by having him remaster part of the catalogue and make a profit that way.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Funny, that’s what the devil on my left shoulder said (but, I could’ve sworn I caught a glimpse of the angel on my right nodding in agreement).

Regarding Intakt, in the last year I’ve done a pretty bad job at keeping up with more contemporary stuff, but occasionally I do think about this fact and take countermeasures.

23. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Point taken.

As to looking for better versions: I meanwhile replaced every single RVG I ever had and sold the RVGs in a bulk lot on ebay.

Re. Finding digital versions of more obscure titles: Many of the old Original Jazz Classics releases sound great, and most are still extremely affordable.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Doin' Allright and A Swingin' Affair are both awesome (hey, it's Dexter Gordon, of course it's awesome:D)- get 'em both ASAP!:righton:

dzhason likes this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Was planning on joining the fun going on a few pages back by playing Green Street but got caught up in some other great guitar jazz:

[​IMG]

Kenny Burrell's Soul Call with Will Davis, Martin Rivera, Bill English & Ray Barretto.

Marzz, vanhooserd, AaronW and 7 others like this.