The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave (1967)

Original '67 mono A&M LP-2002 (WLP, Monarch pressing, VAN GELDER stampers)

Recorded May ~ June, '67 at Rudy's

A sultry 'mood' album, and a perfect way to unwind after a busy night at work. As cool and refreshing as the cover art suggests. Too many musicians to list, but anchored by Ron Carter on bass and Jobim himself of course supplying vocals, piano & harpsichord. Paired with a glass of Momokawa nama (literally 'raw,' or unpasteurized) sake. Cue the melancholy trombones, prancing giraffes and dramatic sunset...

[​IMG]

Marzz, AaronW, Cactus Bob and 8 others like this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Seems like a lot of folks like Stone Flower better but I listened to both just a few days ago and I prefer Wave much more. It is as you say...cool and refreshing!

rxcory likes this.
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Just found this little tidbit from Interview: Rudy Van Gelder (Part 5)

JW:
    Which albums do you remember most?

RVG: Probably the ones recorded early on by Miles Davis, Red Garland and Horace Silver. I also love Antonio Carlos Jobim's Wave with Urbie Green, which is perfection.

4. Fender Relic

Wow...that says a lot!

I'm so glad to have found my very clean Wave copy at a thrift this past Fall for less than $1...what a blessing. Seems like someone donated a whole A&M/CTI vinyl collection as they are still showing up in dribbles.

rxcory likes this.
  5. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

LESS than a buck? Well, you're the "record guy "!

Currently spinning side one of Pharoah Sanders "thembi". Early 70s Impulse dates produced by Ed Michel and Bill Szymyczk, with Lonnie Liston Smith, Cecil McBee, Roy Haynes and others. Opens with a mellow "Astral Traveling", followed by a sqounk-y 'Red, Black and Green'. Reminds me of "Ascension" but less than nine minutes long.

Got it for a buck at an estate sale last Saturday, along with an armful of other dollar vinyl. No other jazz besides a posthumous Coltrane release "Selflessness" but did find about eight nice Dylans......

6. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Freedom Jazz Dance | The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 - Miles Davis Quintet (Columbia/Legacy) 3CD

Recorded 1965 - 1968

Revisiting these great recordings again - about a year after my first hearing. The sleeve and booklet add further satisfaction to owning this fine package.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I stumbled on Hear In Now this afternoon, a 2010 release from Tomeka Reid, Mazz Swift & Silvia Bolognesi. Image too large to post but it's an excellent string trio. Link to the title/label is here: Hear in Now

Marzz and scompton like this.
  9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's a very cool album.

Marzz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was playing: Blue Mitchell - Down With It

Side 1 along with the cover artwork captures mid 60's Blue Note era perfectly.

Also love the fact that Chick Corea is on here and I would fail a blind fold test that it was him playing on it.

[​IMG]

11. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

The Best of Herbie Hancock
    Blue Note/United Artists double lp Comp, 1973

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

From the box set Herbie Hancock The Blue Note Albums. Love this set.
    [​IMG]

13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

14. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

What great album art/design on this release—wow—never seen it before. Thank you for sharing.

Speaking of Herbie, now playing:

Ron Carter
    - Uptown Conversation

CD reissue on Embryo / Atlantic. Mastered by Stephen Innocenzi. Nice to hear so many sections with extended unaccompanied performances from Carter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Marzz, Joe F, Starwanderer and 7 others like this.
  15. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Larry Young - Lawrence of Newark

CD reissue, Castle. Fun music. Would make an interesting pairing with Walt Dickerson's Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia / Vibes in Motion.

[​IMG]

16. [​IMG]

Gerry Mulligan And The Concert Jazz Band At The Village Vanguard (Verve)
    with
    Gerry Mulligan (baritone sax, piano, arranger), Don Ferrara, Clark Terry, Nick Travis (trumpet), Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone), Willie Dennis, Alan Ralph (trombone), Gene Quill (clarinet, alto sax), Bob Donovan (alto sax), Jim Reider (tenor sax), Gene Allen (baritone sax, bass clarinet), Bill Crow (bass), Mel Lewis (drums)

Recorded December 1960 NYC

24 bit CD remaster.

Wonderful music, and in top notch sound quality!

mikee, Marzz, vanhooserd and 13 others like this.
  17. Fender Relic

I like this album. I just sorted thru a pile of Jazz vinyl and this one was in the stack so it will be playing this weekend.

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

19. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

John Coltrane - Black Pearls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Hard Bop

CD reissue, Mosaic Singles series.

[​IMG]

Marzz, vanhooserd, alankin1 and 8 others like this.
  21. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

HANK MOBLEY & LEE MORGAN / MONDAY NIGHT AT BIRDLAND / ROULETTE /1958 / JAPANESE NIPPON COLUMBIA 2LP YS-2694~5-RO

PERSONNEL: HANK MOBLEY, BILLY ROOT (TENOR SAXOPHONES); LEE MORGAN (TRUMPET); CURTIS FULLER (TROMBONE); RAY BRYANT (PIANO); TOMMY BRYANT (BASS); 'SPECS' WRIGHT (DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: PRODUCED BY RUDY TRAYLOR. RECORDED LIVE AT THE BIRDLAND APRIL 21 AND 28, 1958. LINER NOTES BY 'SYMPHONY SYD' TURIN.

[​IMG]

Marzz, rxcory, Joe F and 7 others like this.
  22. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

23. [​IMG]

LIVE In Europe 1967 | The Bootleg Series Vol. 1 - Miles Davis Quintet (Columbia/Legacy) 3CD|1DVD
    with
    Miles Davis (trumpet), Wayne Shorter (tenor sax), Herbie Hancock (piano), Tony Williams (drums), Ron Carter (bass)

CD Mastering by Maria Triana & Mark Wilder / 28 page booklet included

CD 1 was recorded on October 28, 1967 at the Konigin Elizabethzall, Antwerp, Belgium by Belgian Radio and Television (BRT)
    CD 2 tracks 1-5 were recorded on November 2, 1967 at Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark by Danish Radio (DR) © Danish Programming Company
    CD 2 tracks 6 & 7 and CD 3 were recorded and broadcast on November 6, 1967 at the Paris Jazz Festival, Salle Pleyel, Paris, France on France Inter (ORTF). © INA, 1967
    DVD tracks 1-5 were recorded on November 7, 1967 at Stadthalle, Karlsruhe, Germany by Südwestfunk TV
    DVD tracks 6-10 were recorded on October 31, 1967 at the Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden by Sveriges Radio TV

The DVD performances were originally issued in 2009 as part of Miles Davis - The Complete Columbia Album Collection (88697524922). All three CDs are previously unreleased

Marzz, Soulpope, vanhooserd and 12 others like this.
  24. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Les liaisons dangereuses 1960 - Thelonious Monk (Sam/Saga) 2CD

Released 2017

Comes in a triple gatefold cardboard sleeve with separate 60-page color booklet with previously unseen black & white and color photos from the recording session. All housed in a carboard slipcase.

An superb all round package and easily one of the very best releases from 2017.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Marzz, jiffypopinski, kfan and 14 others like this.
  25. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note