The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Round Midnight | Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Various Artists (Columbia/Legacy)
    with
    Herbie Hancock/Cedar Walton (piano), Ron Carter/Pierre Michelot (bass), Tony Williams/Billy Higgins (drums), Bobby McFerrin/Lonette McKee (vocal), Dexter Gordon/Wayne Shorter (tenor sax), John McLauglin (guitar), Chet Baker (trumpet & vocal), Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Bobby Hutcherson (vibes)

Recorded 1985

Got this CD via the big Herbie Hancock / The Complete Columbia Album Collection box, otherwise I might not have bothered to check it out. I don't think it is a very strong compilation album but it does have it's moments. Maybe I need to listen to it all again!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. Another selection from the big Herbie Hancock / The Complete Columbia Album Collection box!

[​IMG]

Village Life - Herbie Hancock and Foday Musa Suso (Columbia/Legacy) CD

Recorded 1984

Maybe not Jazz Beat territory but the fact it features Herbie Hancock is the only reason I got to hear it! It is a fascinating meeting between two musicians rooted in different cultures and traditions. The album is a delightful listening experience and sounds especially uplifting if listened to on a bleak Winter's evening.

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

John Coltrane - Blue Train (1957)

2016 Music Matters mono 33 1/3 RPM limited edition blue vinyl reissue LP mastered by Kevin Gray and lovingly pressed at RTI

The all-star lineup:

Lee Morgan - trumpet
    Curtis Fuller - trombone
    John Coltrane - tenor sax
    Kenny Drew - piano
    Paul Chambers - bass
    Philly Joe Jones - drums

Yeah, we've all heard this album many times. However, I think I've only played this particular LP once, when I first got it back in February 2016, so here goes. Trane's only Blue Note date as lead, and the last of his hard-bop albums before going in a new direction with Soultrane on Prestige and Giant Steps on Atlantic. This pressing sounds divine. :love:

[​IMG]

4. rxcory

[​IMG]

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider (1964)

Original '64 Blue Note stereo BST-84156 (NY labels, Plastylite "P", VAN GELDER stampers)

Recorded May 27, '61; three days after the mugshots below were taken

Lee Morgan - trumpet
    Wayne Shorter - tenor sax
    Bobby Timmons - piano
    Jymie Merritt - bass
    Art Blakey - drums

Nat Henhoff's liner notes, written in '64, state that this album is "Art's immediate reaction to the explosive growth of the civil rights movement at that time and since." The civil rights struggle of the 60's and Rev. King's life were all before my time, but I have spent some time reflecting on the past, as well as our present time this Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Two compositions each from Morgan and Shorter, and an intense 7 & 1/2 minute drum solo by Art Blakey. Timmons' touch on the piano is like no other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

GEORGE WALLINGTON QUINTET / AT THE BOHEMIA / PRESTIGE / 1955 / JAPANESE 'JAZZ THE BEST 100' DSD MASTERED MINI LP UCCO-9281 CD

PERSONNEL: DONALD BYRD (TRUMPET); JACKIE MCLEAN (ALTO SAXOPHONE); GEORGE WALLINGTON (PIANO); PAUL CHAMBERS (BASS); ARTHUR TAYLOR (DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: PRODUCED BY GUS GRANT. RECORDED BY RUDY VAN GELDER SEPTEMBER 9, 1955 AT THE CAFE BOHEMIA, NYC. COVER DESIGN BY CAROLE REIFF GALLETLY. LINER NOTES BY BILLIE HENRY WALLINGTON. MASTERED IN DSD BY KAZUIE SUGIMOTO AT JVC MASTERING CENTER.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Soulpope, vanhooserd and 7 others like this.
  6. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

This weekend found mint quality Trio Jeepy LP at a local record store for 15 dollars. Dead quiet vinyl and spotless. Ive had the CD for a while, but the vinyl is really fantastic.

7. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

I wonder if the dsd source is available for download somewhere...

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The Art Farmer / Benny Golson Jazztet – Moment To Moment (Soul Note Records / CAM Jazz)
    — Art Farmer - flugelhorn, trumpet; Benny Golson - tenor saxophone; Curtis Fuller - trombone; Mickey Tucker - piano; Ray Drummond - bass; Albert Heath - drums

[​IMG]

Marzz, Soulpope, fingerpoppin and 3 others like this.
  10. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I have been reflecting a lot also, hard to not be upset.

Anyway back to the music, yes Bobby Timmons does have incredible touch. Speaking for myself it does seem like I have taken him for granted due to the amount of talented piano players at the time but as someone I haven't overplayed it's a joy to hear him and learn from the way he approached his playing.

rxcory likes this.
  11. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I have been seeing the single vinyl edition out in the stores for those that are interested and missed out on the RSD release. While you don't get the booklet and double vinyl your not missing much by not getting the making of Light Blue unless your a drummer and want to bring that beat to your next rehearsal. The rest of the release is superb and highly recommended.

12. rxcory

[​IMG]

Miles Davis - Miles! Miles! Miles! | Live In Japan '81 (1992)

Original '92 CBS/Sony Japan SRCS 6513~6514

A posthumous release, recorded live in Tokyo (Shinjuku), October 4, 1981. This was well over a year after work had commenced on The Man With The Horn, and Miles was regaining his chops and his confidence. Miles always did prefer performing live, with all the intensity of the moment and energy and interaction of the crowd and his band, and this double album plays like The Man With The Horn on steroids. Some of the same performances as on We Want Miles, but in unedited form here.

Miles Davis - trumpet
    Bill Evans - tenor sax, soprano sax
    Mike Stern - guitar
    Marcus Miller - bass
    Mino Cinelu - percussion
    Al Foster - drums

Not very familiar with post-retirement Miles? With The Man With The Horn and this live date, Miles continues the fusion musical style and structure of his 70's electric period, with large contributions from the band and Miles periodically playing on top. As usual, Miles picks younger but highly-skilled band members, with the only other holdover from the 70's era being Al Foster.

Please join us over on the "Miles Davis Album-By-Album" thread as we continue into the post-retirement years, coming up soon. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

[​IMG]
    Above, Miles arrives at Shinjuku, Tokyo, September 29, '81

Below, from the performance, October 4, '81
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Erik B., Cactus Bob, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  13. If you haven't seen this one-hour concert video, and you're into early 70s modern guitar and nicely captured camera angles with lots of close-ups of the fretboard action, treat yourself to Attila Zoller & Jim Hall, Hannover 1973... Freaking amazing!!

I love everything about it: the players (also featuring Red Mitchell and a drummer I had neglected duly noticing in the past, Daniel Humair!!), the setlist, the sound balance, the camera work... For me this is a Youtube treasure found by accident...

I won't post the video link because I now see that the material is still available as part of a DVD set (also featuring Jimmy Raney) entitled
    Guitar Masters: Live in Germany 1973 & 1980

Marzz and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  14. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Listening to Kamasi Washington fr the 1st time.
    Harmony Of Difference EP.
    Good music, nice groove. But is the sound muddy or what?
    RVG's heir, where are u ?

[​IMG]

15. More Miles for me!

[​IMG]

Live In Europe 1969 | The Bootleg Series Vol.2 - Miles Davis Quintet (Columbia/Legacy) 3CD/1DVD
    with
    Miles Davis (trumpet), Wayne Shorter (tenor & soprano sax), Chick Corea (piano & electric piano), Dave Holland (bass), Jack DeJohnette (drums)

Miles Intensified!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Erik B., Cactus Bob, Marzz and 15 others like this.
  16. rxcory

[​IMG]

Eric Kloss & The Rhythm Section

1993 Prestige/Fantasy PRCD-24125-2 mastered by Phil DeLancie

This 2-fer CD contains the complete contents of To Hear Is To See (1969) and Consciousness! (1970) on a single CD. Digging both Kloss and the rhythm section. Great sound quality as always on a De Lancie CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, Marzz, Soulpope and 7 others like this.
  17. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

18. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thank you @Marzz for these Dolphy sideman recommendations. Got a copy of the above album last week and enjoying it.

[​IMG]

Now playing: Sam Rivers - Trio Live (CD, Impulse) Awesome, heavy music. Love the vocalizations, the interplay of the rhythm section.

[​IMG]

19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

The wonderful Crescent.
    Although, as always with Labson's masterings, I am always wondering what is wrong with the sound.
    I am gonna have to try another edition!

[​IMG]

20. brendans

brendans Forum Resident

ha just came to post the same one from this evening, along with Streams.
    [​IMG]

21. [​IMG]

Quartet - Herbie Hancock (Columbia/Legacy) CD
    with
    Herbie Hancock (piano), Wynton Marsalis (trumpet), Ron Carter (bass), Tony Williams (drums)

Recorded 1981 / Issued on a double LP in 1982.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Streaming Ken McIntyre Looking Ahead now. First time for me listening to this and loving it. Jazz Beat thread delivers again! :edthumbs:

23. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  24. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Such a beautiful record

[​IMG]

25. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Lee Morgan - Live At The Lighthouse

[​IMG]

Erik B., Cactus Bob, btf1980 and 12 others like this.