The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

These are the same guys who decided to dump those crappy OJC CDRs on us a few years back instead of proper reissues, correct? I lost all faith in the company back then.

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

At first, a seemingly odd lineup with Jarrett and Mangione but it works and the results were rather pleasing!

Art Blakey - Buttercorn Lady
    Limelight (1966)
    UCCM-9130

Piano – Keith Jarrett
    Trumpet – Chuck Mangione
    Alto Saxophone – Frank Mitchell
    Bass – Reggie Johnson
    Drums – Art Blakey

[​IMG]

3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Yep, I mentioned that in my post. And it's impossible to know when buying these things.

MagicAlex likes this.
  4. AxiomAcoustics

Listened to both a Max Roach and Abbey Lincoln profile this weekend, which prompted a spin of this fine LP.

Max Roach: We Insist! Freedom Now Suite

Max Roach – drums
    Abbey Lincoln – vocals
    Booker Little – trumpet
    Julian Priester – trombone
    Walter Benton – tenor saxophone "
    Coleman Hawkins – tenor saxophone
    James Schenk – bass
    Michael Olatunji – congas, vocals on side two
    Raymond Mantilla – percussion on side two
    Tomas du Vall – percussion on side two

Recorded August 31 and September 6, 1960 at Nola Penthouse Sound Studio in NYC.

This album is incredibly powerful, especially as presented on this Pure Pleasure edition. Much better than the original Candid CD issue from 89/90 which was a needle-drop, and not a very good one at that. It robbed this music of it's thrust and emotional engagement. A landmark for 1960....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

When it comes to buying records I've never heard before, ECM albums never disappoint.

This gem by Mike Nock is quietly awesome.

[​IMG]

6. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Another ECM find. German pressing.

[​IMG]

alankin1, Starwanderer and Bubbamike like this.
  7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I did play side 1! Twice this week in fact. I use to have Stolen Moments in my tune book and tried to transcribe Bill Evan's piano solo at one point in my life so I needed a break from the tune. It was nice playing the record and not starting with SM going into Hoe Down to get back into it. I will say check out Ahmad Jamal's version of Stolen Moments from Impulse years for a nice trio take on the tune.

NP: Oliver Nelson - Straight Ahead (purple New Jazz label vinyl)

[​IMG]

I love the way Oliver makes this work with just two Sax's but Dolphy is well Dolphy so whatever you do your not going to wind up sounding like him but it's cool the way he embraces playing the straight man here at same time playing well in his own right. This is another one I should play more often.

I will look for a AP version of Screamin.

EDIT: Holy crap! The way Dolphy drops that Bass Clarinet solo on the MJQ cover of Ralph's New Blues!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, I'm glad we did get the 8 Sinatra SACDs that had already been done by MFSL, including the few that hadn't been released yet when Universal pulled the plug - MFSL did get permission to put those out, but not the ones that were scheduled but not ready for release yet.

rxcory likes this.
  9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thats a good one.

Oddly I think its his only ECM record. Not sure if he even did any session work for them. I alway though him and Richard Beirach should have gotten more work with ECM. At least Beirach did a couple trio led sessions and work with Abercrombie on ECM.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Voltaire likes this.
  10. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Wadada Leo Smith - America's National Parks

Wadada Leo Smith – trumpet, director of the ensemble
    Anthony Davis – piano
    Ashley Walters – cello
    John Lindberg – bass
    Pheeroan akLaff – drums

[​IMG]

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Pat Martino - Strings! (1968)

Original '68 Prestige 7547 stereo LP (navy blue labels, Bell Sound stampers)

Pat Martino - electric guitar
    Joe Farrell - tenor sax & flute
    Cedar Walton - acoustic piano
    Ben Tucker - bass
    Walter Perkins - drums
    Dave Levin & Ray Appleton - misc. percussion

One of those albums where the cover artwork tends to give a false impression of the music within. Looks like a polite guy with a guitar; perhaps he's going to serenade you to sleep with soft and sultry tones. Nope, this date's on fire, with each of the players pushing the momentum forward.

[​IMG]

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. Starwanderer

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack Analogue Productions SACD

Jimmy Smith, organ
    Stanley Turrentine, tenor sax
    Kenny Burrell, guitar
    Donald Bailey, drums

[​IMG]

14. Starwanderer

Denys Baptiste - The Late Trane

Denys Baptiste, tenor and soprano saxophones
    Nikki Yeoh, piano and keyboards
    Steve Williamson, tenor saxophone
    Neil Charles, bass and electric bass
    Gary Crosby, bass
    Rod Youngs, drums and percussion

[​IMG]

15. AxiomAcoustics

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue

Kenny Burrell – guitar
    Stanley Turrentine – tenor saxophone
    Major Holley – bass
    Bill English – drums
    Ray Barretto – conga

Recorded at Rudy's on January 8, 1963, another one of those 'overplayed' titles that include the likes of 'Blues And The Abstract Truth", "Kind Of Blue", "Take Five" and "Soul Station"....until you put it on and you're reminded just how sweet this is. I did so yesterday afternoon, a day of blazing sunshine and deep blue (but not midnight0 skies and thought:
    "Yeah, what a fine album this is for a sunny day."
    Then I had to leave and couldn't finish it. So when I got home last night I put it back on and thought:
    "Yeah, what a fine album this is for a dark, quiet night."
    Then this morning it was raining and grey and overcast and I played it again and thought:
    "Yeah, what a fine album this is for a grey, rainy day."
    You get the idea....
    Add to that the superb sonics of both the MM 33 and AP SACD and the fact that it's pone of Rudy's finer recordings (oh those congas, Rudy seemed to get those right frequently) and you've got the answer to it's prominence. Oh, and let's not forget the sublime beauty and sweetness of the solo piece "Soul Lament" :love:

[​IMG]

Hey Stan, lay out on this one wouldya?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. AxiomAcoustics

I believe I've got 10 MoFi Sinatras but that may include the earlier "Only The Lonely" and the Basie "Before Sinatra", which I have filed with the rest of the titles.

17. AxiomAcoustics

And the all-important missing word in the title: 'With". :D

Jackie P, rxcory and Cactus Bob like this.
  18. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Les McCann & Eddie Harris ~ Swiss Movement
    Recorded Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival
    Atlantic, 1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AxiomAcoustics

That always seemed like more of a chicken coop to me rather than a chicken shack, but he was from Philly so what does he know from chicken shacks? :laugh: The most important thing was that it was greasy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Those earlier MFSL discs were CD only if I'm not mistaken. The 8 I mentioned were all hybrid SACDs and the only ones they were allowed to release of the planned series.

rxcory likes this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

Correct, I just checked my "Only The Lonely" and it's a Gold disc, packaged like the current issues. IIRC there may have been a few that made it out on LP but not SACD from that series?"Swing Along With Me" is one I believe, which I wanted but is now selling for 3-4x the original retail.

22. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet ~ Country Preacher
    "Live" at Operation Breadbasket, Chicago
    Capitol, 1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. AxiomAcoustics

From quieting ti disquieting (in a good way) a superb live date from the infamous Brotzmann > Parker > Drake trio, sometimes thought of as the Die Like A Dog Trio. There's some of that prayerful Ayler-esque playing here for sure, and it's ferocious at times...then not. Brotzmann is 75 here (now 76) and he's at times pushing his younger cohorts to play even more wholly. Amazing stuff....to hear the maturity and grasp of the instrument and the relentless energy and think: A 75 year old musician cannot be playing this! And then you realize that only a 75 year old musician could be playing this.

The third, longest and closing track is a Pan-Nubian-Sufi-Jazz cum Congo Square stunner with Hamid starting out for some time solo on his resonant and throaty Frame Drum and a vocal chant that mesmerizes when Brotzm enters on Tarogato, charming the snake, soon joined by Parker on his Guembri, and they trod a groove across Mozambique that is awe inspiring, especially at volume. Parker then enters on his Shakuhachi and suddenly we're in the Himalayas.

These comments are based on the CD version, the vinyl is up next and despite looking identical and having the same title they contain different material from the same gig at Cafe Oto. The short of it is: get it if you like this kind of thing and if you don't it just may make you like this kind of thing.

Cover art by Brotzmann, as is typical for most of his releases.

[​IMG]

24. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

25. AxiomAcoustics

Bring slowly to boil.
    Reduce heat.
    Cover.
    Simmer to perfection.

[​IMG]